Results of calculated FTP from 4DP test, compared to Garmin-calculated FTP?

Hi, just did another 4DP test this morning. not new to me. last one was back in feb.
i use the wahoo app on my desktop computer, while recording with my Garmin Fenix 5.
for the past 3 days Garmin has indicated that i’ve been Peaking. with “training status” indicating +4/+5 on my rides for those days.
this morning i started the 4DP, and after the first sprint, the Garmin indicates -5 “training status”!!!
rather disconcerting, but i decide to follow through with the test.
my sleep hasn’t been the greatest over the past few weeks. but still… +5 to -5 in one day?
the 3 days i was “peaking” i didn’t even really do any hard rides. just enough for Garmin to record a “training status”
considering my training plan, focusing on the weaker aspects, over the past few months, my results were… what i might expect with a -5 “training status”.

NM and AC were surprisingly improved, which are my strong traits (attacker), while MAP increased a few points, and FTP decreased by about 4 points. which was my weakness anyway.

BUT… the Garmin calculated my FTP 10 points higher, than Wahoo, and actually increased by 1 point (don’t know if that’s statistically significant).

in the past Wahoo and Garmin FTP has been within 1 or 2 points of each other.

i guess i’ll just retest in a couple weeks

far be it from me to EVER discourage someone from Suffering but fwiw, I wouldn’t retest.

To be clear though, when you say FTP decreased by 4 “points” do you mean 4% or 4 watts? If watts that’s within the range of error of many trainers. Eg. if we’re talking watts and your last FTP was say 250 and you tested at 246 we’re talking a 1.6% variance. Kickrs for example typically have a 1-2% accuracy range.

Edit: I’ll add that trying to get Garmin and Wahoo to agree is a fools game (no offence intended to you, Garmin or Wahoo).

5 Likes

yes, 4 watt decrease
thanks for the response
i’ve read that the half monty favors my “attacker” category, so maybe for ego’s sake i’ll give that a go in a week
on the plus-side, my NM went up 20 watts, and AC by 18

2 Likes

Given that you didn’t say what your FTP was or is, given my 200 watt FTP, four watts is well within the error or fitness on that day range. There comes a point where you will plateau and you have to change the time and duration of training to shake things up to show improvement.

1 Like