Rival Issues

Glad to hear it. Obviously they had a bad batch of them that weren’t working in the pool

1 Like

Hi guys, I’m also having issues with Rival, my latest run today has incorrect data, distance and HRM is way out. It doesn’t seem to want to connect to GPS, so half the activity is missing hence my pace is much slower than I’ve actually ran. When I look at the activity on Strava, it’s telling me I’m running faster, but the overall time/distance is wrong. The map for the activity is nothing like what I have done. Sadly this is not the first time it’s happened. For my next run I intend to use a Forerunner and the Rival to compare.

I’ve just received my Rival 2 days ago… and I’ve the same issue… The Rival doesn’t count my distance in the pool. :sob:

Also I’m not capable to connect my Stryd account to Wahoo. It’s says this error:
{“message”:“wahoo: error reading user: Non 200 status code: 429. Response is {"error":"Too Many Requests"}”}
Do you know what can I do? I’ve seent an eamil to customer care… waiting an answer from their side. :frowning:

I’m sorry you’re having these issues. I have a Rival, but haven’t been able to attempt swimming yet, and don’t have a Stryd account. Some other users probably do, tho, and could give you their experiences. But Wahoo support is the best place for true troubleshooting.

Are you doing indoor or outdoor swimming? And are you relying on GPS or lap distance for your swim measurement?

About Stryd: try again the next day (after 24 hours) to connect Stryd with Wahoo. There’s a maximum of attempts connecting Wahoo with Stryd. In the first attempt to connect, I guess a mass load of connections is being made and then you get this error. But the next day, it connects. Don’t try to disconnect and connect after that, because then you are dealing with the same problem again.
[EDIT: Stryd has changed the connection process and since mid april 2024, it seems that there is no maximum in the attempts between Wahoo and Stryd anymore, so you can safely disconnect/ connect Wahoo and Stryd).
You can see whether a connection is made or not on this site (look for Stryd-Prod):
https://www.wahooligan.com/profile
I sometimes don’t see my Wahoo workout go automatically to the Stryd platform. Then I export the Wahoo workout as a .fit file and import it in the Stryd Powercenter.
But most of the times, it just works.

About swimming: I use MySwimPro to do all my structured workouts in a 25m pool. I normally used my Apple Watch to swim these workouts, because Rival was not supported. But since a couple of days, you can sync MySwimPro workouts to Trainingpeaks and from Trainingpeaks to your Rival. I tried a MySwimPro workout last monday, and it worked fine. I did the Lap Swimming once with my Rival, so this is my only experience. I don’t know whether unstructured workouts will work and will correctly count the distance. What I do know, is that you have to use your arms to let Rival count the distance. Only using your legs (kicking drills) is not going to work in counting yards/meters. And don’t select drill mode, because in drill mode your Rival also doesn’t count the yards/meters. And select the correct size of the pool in the settings.

Please let us know if you’re still dealing with these problems.
I think the Stryd issue can be easily solved. The swimming issue can be a guarantee issue, if you cannot solve it.

Hi @bertus_f thank you so much for your help here.

I’ve just logged into the web you shared and I saw 10 StryTEST connexions to my wahoo account. I’ve just revoke all of them and I’ve tried once again. It gives me the same “error message”. So, now I’ll wait 24h without attempting to connect again.

Also I see in my profile it’s a connection from “tryterra.co”, but I don’t know what is this… is this done by wahoo?

About the watch/swimming distance… yes it was a warranty issue… wahoo is sending me a replacement. Let’s see with the new one it will work properly. I understand that if you do kicking drills the watch it won’t count distance, same as it was in my Garmin). But the problem here was it did not count at all any distance swimming freestyle. But as I say, with the new one I hope it will be fixed.

Kind regards,

Hi @Frnc3sk_CaMo,
I haven’t heard of Tryterra.co, but it seems to be a platform to create api workflows between different sport apps. Sounds interesting. I don’t think Wahoo or Stryd uses this platform, so if you don’t trust this connection, just revoke it.
I am curious about your replacement watch. I had my first Rival watch replaced under guarantee too, because of wrong altitude calculations on that watch. Now it works fine. I have my Rival a couple of years now. Only thing that bothered me was the Trainingpeaks dependency for importing structured workouts to my Rival. But since a couple of weeks, Intervals.icu and TrainingPlan also have an integration with the Wahoo platform. It is not mentioned on the Wahoo site, but when you go to Intervals.icu or Trainingplan, you do see the possibility to integrate with Wahoo. You can see the workouts on the Rival (and Bolt/Roam). And Intervals.icu is for free, instead of Trainingpeaks, which is too expensive for what I use it for, because I just use it as a workout pushing mechanism to get the workouts imported in Wahoo. I don’t mind the TP statistics, graphics, fitness scores and so on. Trainingpeaks looks a lot like Garmin in measuring all the scores and it only works when you import ALL your activities to the same platform. And I don’t do that. Intervals.icu is doing just what I need it for and is much more flexible in my opinion. And Intervals.icu is not bothering me with bad fitness scores or graphics going down (like Garmins training status being unproductive). I like Wahoo in its simplicity and not mentioning anything about my progression. Sometimes there are flaws, but overall it just works!

Hey @bertus_f it’s solved, the new watch works in the swimming pool and also today I’ve recieved a message from Stryd and it’s all ok now. Yuhuuu!

Listen may I ask you a little doubt?

Today was my 1st day with the RIVAL in the pool (I come from the Garmin ecosystem) and when doing a structured workout I wonder, if there is the option to do (as happens in Garmin) that the watch halfway through the last length of the interval warns you, so that you stop when you reach the wall.

With today’s tests I have not been able to make it work this way… it does not reach until 0 when you touch the wall and even stop a little (it does not seem very practical to me).

I’m probably doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Hi @Frnc3sk_CaMo
Good to hear it’s solved! The Wahoo watch doesn’t work in the same way as the Garmin watch does. I also own a Garmin watch (945 LTE), and I know the warning sound in the last length of the interval. I don’t like this feature, because when the interval length isn’t correctly measured, you get a warning sound too early (or never). Anyway: in my case, it doesn’t work very well. That’s why I used my Apple Watch with MySwimPro workouts instead, and that just worked. And since I can use MySwimPro workouts via Trainingpeaks on my Wahoo Rival, I use the Rival. Measuring the intervals goes without any problem on my Rival. When you reach the wall too early (you go faster than the timed interval), you press next lap on the watch and the next interval starts. And Wahoo Rival doesn’t give me a warning sound in the last length of the interval, but I know when my interval stops. At the beginning of each new interval, there is a short vibration and then I take a look at my Rival what I have to do. For me, there’s no need for a warning sound in the last length of the interval, but I understand that’s very personal.

Interesting to see that connection with Stryd works. Does it give you all the metrics from Stryd that you can add in workout profile? Vertical oscillation, GCT…etc? Is the pace even and precise as coming from Stryd rather than GPS ?

My Rival can’t sync training plan from Trainingpeaks ,Do you have a solution?

Hello @Pouto, a workout on my Rival with Stryd connected, gives me all the Stryd data. I can see the Stryd data on the watch and can see the Stryd data synced to my Wahoo history. Only thing is that when syncing the Rival workout data back to Stryd Powercenter, the air power is not syncing to Stryd. But air power is measured and visible in the Wahoo history, so it is being registered. I can also see it on my Rival while running.
The pace is coming from Stryd. That’s one of the most important features I like, because it is far more precise than the GPS readings on the Rival.
See also:

Hi @JaNE_KanKhum,

Try to disconnect Trainingpeaks from Wahoo on the following site: Wahoo Fitness | Log In.
On that site, you have to login first and then click on ‘revoke access’ behind the Trainingpeaks connection.

After that, you can go to Wahoo SYSTM online:
https://systm.wahoofitness.com/home
On that site, you have to login first (same account as your ELEMNT account) and then click ‘Settings’ and ‘Authorized Apps’. Then make a connection with Trainingpeaks again.

You must have a structured workout in Trainingpeaks, to get it synced to your Rival. To test this, you can pick a workout from the Workout library in the Trainingpeaks Calendar (e.g. “15 minutes zone 3 heart rate, 5 minutes zone 4-5a. (Structured)”). Move that workout to the current day in your Calendar in Trainingpeaks.

Then go to the ELEMNT app on your phone, choose your sport (running) and then ‘Pick a Planned Workout’. Then pull down on that page to force a sync.
If it still doesn’t show up, click on ‘Sync From Web’ on that same page, and check whether Trainingpeaks is selected or not. When you select it, it should say ‘Deauthorize’. Try to deauhorize and authorize again from this page.

When you still have problems, look at the Wahoo step-by-step instructions:

1 Like

Thanks Bertus,
I’m asking this because during the times I had a Stryd, it never worked correctly with Rival. It showed power on the watch, but none of the other metrics if I create a dedicated screen for it.
The Stryd Pod seemed to be…strangely paired, almost never shown as connected on watch on in the Elemnt App, pace did not come from it.
How have you paired it ? Using the App or the watch ?
I might give it another try…

Hi @Pouto, that sounds like a familiar problem. I struggled with the same issue. And found a solution:
You can connect your Wahoo Rival with your Stryd footpod in 2 ways: bluetooth and/or ANT+. On different sites, you can read that you have to choose one of these connections (Bluetooth for stability, ANT+ for all the data and multiple connections). I have never read that you have to choose both. But when you choose one of them, not all the metrics are visible and synced. I made a connection with both bluetooth and ANT+, and I can see all the Stryd data on the watch and in my Wahoo history. And the data is afterwards being synced to the Stryd Powercenter (without air power). I am curious if it works the same way on your Rival. Please let me know.

That’s super interesting ! Thanks for pointing at this.
To be sure: how do you connect Stryd both through ANT+ and BT ? Using the ELEMNT App or directly from the watch ?
I’m buying (once again ! ) a Stryd to see it this works best :slight_smile:
I’ll let you know.
Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Hi @Pouto, the ELEMNT App and Rival work the same in establishing a connection. I mostly use the Rival watch to pair with another device, but I don’t think it makes any difference. Even on your phone you do see all the possible ANT+ and bluetooth connections nearby, so I think the Rival is sending this information to your ELEMNT app, because natively your phone only can connect via bluetooth.

Hi @Pouto,

I have enclosed two screendumps from the ELEMNT app, to “prove” the connection is made.

In the first screendump, you see some metrics from a short interval workout I did yesterday. I speak Dutch, so you probably have to use Google Translate to understand some metrics :wink:
As you can see, all the Stryd metrics show up in the Wahoo ELEMNT app.

In the second screendump, you can see both the Stryd bluetooth connection (first one) and the ANT+ connection (the third one with ANT ID under the devicename). These connections are necessary to see all the metrics. I have hidden my ANT ID’s, because everyone can connect with my Stryd account on a Garmin watch, if you can also guess my Stryd username…

1 Like

Thanks for all these valuable information.
Now I can’t wait for my stryd to ship so that I can try this.
Too bad Wahoo SUpport have been unable to propose this for more than 2 years when I opened a ticket…
(Stryd worked great with my suunto watch, but I really like the “old fashioned Rival” watch actually :slight_smile: )

Hi @Pouto, i struggled with this problem too and also had a ticket with the exact same problem. Wahoo support told me that the problem was not on the Wahoo side, so they asked me to go to Stryd with this problem. I registered a ticket at Stryd too, but didn’t hear from them. Wahoo support also told me that they had contacted Stryd about this problem and that Stryd support would look into the problem. But after that, I heard nothing from both sides and wanted to use my Stryd in my runs.
After a while, I could not wait anymore and bought myself a Garmin watch, just to have these Stryd metrics back. But the Stryd app on the Garmin watch (945 LTE) is very simple, doesn’t show all the metrics and it is not a native app. And very frustrating: the Stryd app on the Garmin watch sometimes crashes while running, after which my run is continued in the normal Garmin screens, without any Stryd metric and without intervals (it continues as a long run till I press stop). Beside that: I hate the training status on the Garmin (being unproductive). In the end I missed the simplicity of my Rival. And I am a happy Wahoo user and love the Wahoo eco system. The Garmin watch was really an outsider, that I could not enjoy. After a while, when trying to connect Rival with Stryd again, it suddenly worked! I remember from longer ago, there was only 1 connection possible between Rival and Stryd, but in the last months you see both bluetooth and ANT+ as a possible connection. I think that’s the result of a lot more people having the same connection problems. And maybe the result of Wahoo and Stryd working on this problem together. Anyhow: I am glad I can use my Rival again. My Garmin watch is very unproductive now :grinning:

1 Like