Season Prep -> Event Prep

I’ve signed up for a 70.3 in June and have set up the event prep plan accordingly. Until that plan starts I was going to do a season prep plan over the winter giving me some down time between the plans.

Having now set it up and looked at the two plans together on the face of it they don’t look all that different. I was really only looking for a base builder plan over the winter for all disciplines. But the season prep looks pretty intense. Maybe I’m wrong?

Will the season prep work for this or should I be using a different plan?

Thanks in advance

When I did the run up to my first 70.3 I had the same questions. I got some advice that I thought was odd, but it worked for me.

I was told to use the time to before the event prep (my 70.3 plan was 18 weeks) to get a solid fitness base. Do whatever discipline you like to do most as the focus. Do the other two disciplines enough to improve form and fitness but let the one do the heavy lifting.

I will never be accused of being a good runner, so I thought I should run more. But letting cycling get me into really good shape before I started the 18 week plan really did help my running. I think much of the benefit was mental, getting to do what I liked best, so I didn’t dread the running days.

I don’t know if this s best for anyone else, but I got the advice from a seven time IM finisher, so I gave it a try. I was pleased with the results.

Good luck!

4 Likes