Smart Trainer Maintenance?

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone of you do any maintenance on your turbo/smart trainers?

I’ve been working out on my Kickr Core for a year-and-a-half now, and other than the occasional spin down, I don’t do anything to it.

It’s working fine as far as I can tell.

Should I do maintenance on it? Lubricate bearings? replace belts?

I would be keen to know too, been 30 months or so with maybe a handful of spin downs in total, wet cloth wipe now and then. Still humming as if out of the box.

2 Likes

Kickr '18 here. Other than wiping down, I have removed the cassette and hub to give a thorough cleaning and greased as per @GPLama’s vid on making it a bit more silent.

3 Likes

Clicky freehub generally means the pawls are engaging snappily. This is good in that if they are slow to engage and aren’t fully engaged when torque is applied, the pawls or ratchet ring can get damaged. (Low temps can slow pawl engagement.) Pedaling trainers when standing can sometime get clunky, which exposes the pawls to disengaging and reengaging at high torque against the inertia of the flywheel, so it’s good to have snappy pawl engagement. Some designs are louder than others, and it’s usually best to use the freehub lube specified by the manufacturer. FWIW, I use 90 weight gear oil on my trainer’s pawls.

3 Likes

Thanks all. Looks like I’ll be continuing doing bugger all to the machine.

As for the freehub noise: GvA told me not to freewheel.

6 Likes

I do the same - bugger all. I’ve had my core since march 2020 (lockdown baby!), And have never done a thing to it. This better not jinx it.

2 Likes