Sore legs / what to do?

Completed 4DP Sunday 1-16-2022 and states I need to work on my MAP. I put the MAP block on my calendar starting Monday 1-17-2022. Did first intense workout “A Very Dark Place”. Legs were sore from Sunday’s 4DP.
Today Wed 1-18-2022 Did easy ride “Colombia Connection” but legs are still sore.
Rather than continue tomorrow (Thursday) with “14 Vice Grips”, maybe I should take as many days needed till legs are no longer sore?

1 Like

Hi,

There is no specific need to add MAP blocks, if this is your working point in the 4DP profile/result.
All training plans within the app are built around your 4DP and thus around your strenghts and weaknesses.
I would delete the MAP blocks for now, take a rest day (or 2) and do some appropriate yoga.
Then check out the different plans in the app. If you have no experience with the platform, go for the 14 day tour or if you want to commit to a longer plan, I’d go for the All purpose cycling.

2 Likes

It is highly recommended you take a few days of recovery after Full Frontal. AVDP isn’t one of them. You’ve probably overloaded your legs and really should take a few days rest now since Columbia Connection gave no relief.

4 Likes

Thanks Mr. McKenzie for the good advice. Will follow it.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice Santiago. Good idea.

1 Like

After races and really hard rides using a foam roller really helps to speed up my recovery and performance on the next days if I need it. I really love my Blackroll for this job.
You can do this easily while watching TV or whatever.
But since you don’t need to it would be more wise to additionally get in a few rest days as suggested.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great advice Thomas. Will check it out. And I am looking into getting a massage gun.

4DP test followed by AVDP is tough going! Your legs may feel better today after the easier ride yesterday, but something it can be a case of working through the suffering and adjusting based on how the session goes. More info can be found here so you can judge what to do based on how you feel on the day. Hope that helps

3 Likes

Suffer more is the only correct answer.

I too am doing a MAP block (with yoga/strength), did 14 vise grips yesterday - not as bad as I expected, but bad enough - today was active recovery (frozen road). Def looking into a foam roller to stretch better after rides. Think I’ll want it after 9 hammers (which is next Tue). :metal:

2 Likes

Suffer wisely is the correct answer. To accomplish that goal one needs to add timing to the equation. I will suffer more over the long term when I back off temporarily when necessary. Live to fight another day.

4 Likes

Update to sore legs / what to do:
OK this is going to be a forehead slapper: for issue with interior on R/H thigh:
I took two days off, and saw a youtube video on stretching. Learned a few stretches to do and to hold the stretch for at least one minute.
I haven’t really done any stretching (yes I am foolish to put it politely).
After doing stretching and time off: seems to really helped.
Also ordered a massage gun. And looking at getting some compression boots.

2 Likes

I just bought and started using a foam roller ($17), it seems to have worked out a few sore spots in my hamstrings that I thought were just old age. The yoga workouts have also really improved by flexibility (I never stretched either until now)… Excited to see how this translates on the trails when it warms up.

1 Like

Lots of solid advice here. Try out varying techniques and see what works for you. Here is what works for me.

1. Stretching 3x/day. I stretch within 30 minutes of my workout and another two times during the day.

2. Foam Roller most days, after my post workout stretching.

3. Careful scheduling. If I do a really hard ride, and want to go the next day, I select a ride that is less stressful on whatever is stressed. I have found some non-recovery rides that work well for me, like some of the Tempo rides.

4 Give yourself more time between rides without missing a day, if that is important to you. I will do a hard ride at night. Do a less stressful ride the next night. Do a second less stressful ride the next morning. Then back to a hard effort the following evening, effectively giving me 36 hours for that hard effort without skipping a day.

1. Listen to your body. If you need to shut it down for a day or two, then do it. If you need to do a recovery ride for a day or two, do that. If you don’t listen to your body and take care of it, it will take care of itself by injury. Not a good option.

After your 4DP, you should take a rest day.

Might not seem so, but, it is a very hard effort on your whole body …

What I usually do, is simply do a recovery session to loosen up the legs and finish flushing out any rests of lactate and to strecht the legs a little, then this week I use as a transition or simply start a new plan which usually starts with a soft session or recovery …

1 Like