STAND warning!

Here’s a minor feature request I submitted over a year ago. We get 10 second warnings for power changes and for cadence changes, but not when the workout calls for standing. I want a warning, darn it. There a ding to signify the start of standing. The warning could be a simple as 3 dings 5 seconds before.

13 Likes

I definitely agree that this would be fantastic!

1 Like

I agree that they can be a surprise! In the absence of the warning, I’m usually a second or two late in standing, but I’m also a second or two late in sitting at the end, so I still get the intended amount of time standing.

I’m in two minds about adding the stand warning - it will be another prompt/sound to process during the workout, but I can see that it is necessary if you want to stand exactly at the right time. Perhaps in the new workout player it can be added, and an option provided to enable/disable it.

1 Like

I can certainly get by with less than 10 seconds for power or cadence changes. I could get by with zero for those. For me, standing is a bigger physical change than changing power or cadence, so a little prep helps. As for delaying the end a few seconds, I do that for all ERG intervals as it generally takes a few seconds for the trainer to respond at the start and at the end.

Especially since (according to Elements of Style) you want to start standing with the proper leg.

1 Like

I agree. I am always surprised with the sudden stands, often because I am chewing stem at that point and not watching the screen. The DING comes out of nowhere. I was just reminded again today in AVDP.
But, the repetitive DING can get annoying when there are a lot of stands, so I am not sure I want more of them. lol. Maybe use a different sound to indicate they are imminent…The countdown clock from “24”? lol It is ominous enough :rofl:

Yep. The DING comes out of the blue and a STAND banner appears at the top of the screen unlike any other instruction or target, and that’s not necessarily where I’m looking. A STAND warning just atop the other targets might be good instead of ding ding ding…

2 Likes

That would work! I already forgot that the Stand banner appears at the top of the screen, and I just saw them today! :crazy_face: Clearly they do not make an impression like the other target changes.

Power and cadence countdowns are important to prevent erg spiral of death catching me unawares.

I wouldn’t want a warning, the ping prompt to stand is enough for me just like the gunshot for an attack. Wouldn’t mind some humorous editing in the videos like Richard Carapaz grimacing before an attack.

2 Likes

Totally agree with this, and if doing a GOAT type workout requiring standing, it definitely takes a few seconds to wven be able to stand. I think the single “ding” and then stand next pedal rotation is ok?

1 Like

Agreed.

Agreed, I often miss the single ding when I am deep in a dark place.

1 Like

The ding is enough for me, despite it usually being a surprise - even in the videos I’ve ridden many times. With already having to focus on power and then cadence, I don’t really want to worry about countdown. The stand prompts are also optional. If you can, it’s helpful to train. But if not then it’s fine to only do as many as you feel like doing. So, I’m fine without a warning. They don’t have to be nailed on cue like power targets since nothing happens if you miss them (ie. no erg death spiral).

2 Likes

I’m not sure I get the ERG spiral of death connection. I’m talking about standing on cue to comply with the intention of the workout. Nothing in a workout is absolutely mandatory. You can do your own cadence, increment ERG power up and down, sit not stand, stand not sit, pause, cut it short, redo intervals… Personally, I prefer to complete a workout as designed complying with all the instructions. I figure if the designers knew what they were doing this provides max benefit. A notification for an upcoming stand would make it easier for me to do this, as do notification for upcoming power and cadence change make those easier to comply. FWIW: I encountered the ERG spiral of death of it a number of times ~13 years ago riding Computrainers. Once I experienced it, it was easy (in principal) to avoid. If I couldn’t, then the power demand was simply higher than I could comply with.

1 Like

Unrelated to the STAND cue, but I’ve hit the ERG spiral of death quite a few times in the last few weeks, different workouts, several of these were bad enough that I got pretty angry.
The trainer didn’t release and lower the power demand at the end of an interval as it was supposed to do… for maybe 4 or 5 seconds! The KICKR Bike was still holding a solid power demand that was supposed to have dropped from something up in the 2-300’s Watts down to like 80 or so. But it wouldn’t drop for me till it showed who was boss, I guess! Might be my biggest gripe is any workout that does this, especially when it does it twice in a row on short intervals. Of course, I fight with every last ounce of push in me to force the pedals to keep jerking around the circle., all the while seeing the Power number displayed somewhere around 30 to 50Watts when I’m applying massive torque. :rage:

Are you connecting to your trainer using ant+?

As Sir @emacdoug says, ANT+ can have some lags in changing the trainer power settings. Bluetooth is generally much more responsive, with usually no more than a second before the power target adjusts.

You can anticipate some of the standing drills. They usually happen on climbs and when you see the warning for a significant cadence drop you can just about be certain that an out the saddle warning is coming up. But you are right and they can be unexpected. A ding to signify end of stand drill would be good.

1 Like

@emacdoug Thanks, Yes, using Ant+ from laptop.
Maybe I’ll try using Bluetooth…
But I’m also using Bluetooth for HR and am connecting the KICKR Bike to my Fenix watch always, and sometimes even to my Edge 830.
I’ve wondered if it would handle all those on Bluetooth, and want sure if there was an order of making the connections that was going to create issues?

On a parallel topic I’d like to put in my request again for a workout dedicated to improving our standing riding. Even a novid would be awesome.

2 Likes