Strength - weaker vs stronger exercises

hi all, want to poll the group how you approach something. Within each strength session, some exercises are easy (e.g. the one-leg squats and hip hinges) whereas some are hard for me (e.g. the various side plank variations, the high planks with arm reach and leg lift)

If you’re doing strength twice a week, would you: (i) do an extra short session each week where you do a couple of exercises that you’re weakest at, to bring them up, OR (ii) do an extra short session of the exercises that you’re best at, so that they don’t end up starting to fall behind (i.e. so that you are actually forcing an adaptation there)?

1 Like

Last year I was doing the intermediate strength and able to handle all the exercises but I lapsed. Just started again and intermediate strength was a mess. I dropped down to beginner and still had trouble with some of those side planks you mention - but after four weeks I’m able to do all of them now. My idea is to stick with the twice a week training plan, work on improving form even on the easy exercises and the hard ones will fall into place eventually,

3 Likes

Thats fair approach for sure.

I’m thinking about adding one extra day of exercises since working on strength and conditioning is a priority right now: I had a recent experience riding my mtb down a spicy trail (almost 2k feet of elevation loss over 2 miles) and i had to slow down a few times because my arms and legs were tired from absorbing the bumps.

So i’m focusing on trying to bring up that aspect of the fitness.

1 Like

Sounds like an excuse for a new bike… :wink:

3 Likes

Yep, I agree with Neil. If you need permission, just remember this is all for your overall health and well being. The argument that N=N+1 where N is the number of bikes you need is not going to fly with the decision maker.

1 Like