SUF not offering resistance in ERG mode

I was doing the half Monty twice now and both cases on different trainers first the tacx vortex second on a Wahoo kickr the south program never increase the resistance on a de trainer and I had to change gears to be able to hit the what’s Target. Why is this so when I been told that you keep it in this more chainring at the front and middle rear cassette just offered no resistant from the program in herb mode. Thank you cheers Susan

1 Like

I encountered this my first time. It was because the power targets were far too low.

I answered the initial questions honestly – female, 55kg, haven’t been cycling regularly. It gave me an estimated FTP of 97 or something. My actual FTP turned out to be more like 150, after I figured things out. So Half Monty was hopelessly easy and I thought something about my setup was broken.

If this applies to you, just go to your settings and manually change your FTP to something reasonable.

2 Likes

Thankyou for your reply… this can’t be my issue…mine is set at 200 FTP…The trainer just didn’t respond accordingly at each step

1 Like

Hi there.

Could you do a screen shot for us of what the connection screen looks like asif you were about to do it again?
Something like this below. I suspect this will all be set up fine, but just in case (as the symtpoms sound like it’s not being run in ERG mode)
And of course, if we can’t get to the bottom of it with you (or even better in parallel) - email the minions (the lovely SUF help folks) on theminions@thesufferfest.com as well with the problem and they’ll also help you out

2 Likes

PS - are you using ANT+ or Bluetooth?

Ok will do . But it did look like the screenshot… this was my 4th time trying it so now know what it’s supposed to look like… lol…even double checked in the warm up that it was set to erg mode.

1 Like

Using ANT+

1 Like

That screenshot should confirm everything, but yeah if you’ve been through it four times that’s super tough when everything should ‘just work’

Can I check some other stuff

• do you have anything else connected like Zwift or any other cycling apps? (can cause loss of controllability if others apps grab control)
  • does erg work in other workouts?

I was using my friend’s trainer at her house so it could be a possibility that her Wahoo app all Bluetooth was still open on her phone as she was sitting beside me as I was doing it but it definitely sounds like something else was taking away the control

2 Likes

Ah. Harder to replicate just now then.
More than happy to help in more real time as and when you’re next on a trainer and/or doing HM.

Does erg normally work in other workouts when using that setup?

Hey Martin. Thanks for all your help. I think I’ve found the trouble…As I’ve never used a trainer before it seems I may be the problem. I was increasing my Cadence lots at each step in the ramp as I couldn’t feel the resistance. Looks like this action hade over powering the trainer so it decrease resistance to keep me at the target watts…I didn’t know I’m just supposed to keep a steady Cadence and the trainer will do they rest…

1 Like