Taking workouts outdoor with Garmin Edge

Garmin Connect doesn’t support uploading workouts. You need to copy onto your headunit directly.

1 Like

You can also dump it into Training Peaks and ride it from there by syncing your Garmin account to Training Peaks :+1:

1 Like

I didn’t know you could push workouts from TP to Garmin. I’ll gave to look into this.

Hello, thank you for this great tool!

I’m uploading to intervals.icu and it is adding +10 min before and +10 min after, do you know if this is some setting in intervals.icu? Or the .fit files are downloading from Systm in this way?

Also I’ve tried to upload to Training Peaks but it says it is not a recognized workout, do you know if there is a workaround?

Thanks!

Hello,

I’ve tried to upload the .fit to Training Peaks but it says it is not a recognized workout, do you know if there is a workaround?

Thanks!

@Neptali_Barrios i have not experienced that issue. Are you pulling the data from Strava or are you connecting SYSTM directly to intervals.icu?

For TrainingPeaks you should be able to upload automatically after completing a workout in SYSTM. Go to settings and authorized apps.

1 Like

He means downloading the workout .FIT file from the plugin so she can execute it on her Garmin rather than making a copy from a previously executed workout.

@Neptali_Barrios I dump it straight onto my Garmin rather than onto Training Peaks first but as it is a .FIT file you should be able to upload it into Training Peaks too. Unfortunately I just fragged my personal laptop so can’t test for you but will see if I can get it to work on the notebook. Seems odd and I would expect ot to work. Can you download it as a GPX rather than a .FIT? It might be happier with that

1 Like

@JSampson I am downloading the .fit from the extension, I want to load into my garmin edge to be recognised as a planned workout…

I tried to import directly in intervals.icu on a future date, .fit it is recognised but I don’t know why it is adding +10 min at the beginning like a warm up and +10min at the end like a cool down, I see in the SYSTM interface these 20 min are not there…

Also I tried twice to import the .fit into training peaks but it says there is no workout recognised inside…

Thank you for your support!

@DameLisa I don’t know how to download as a GPX, I see there is a button in the chrome extension for .FIT only, do you know if it’s possible to download GPX and how?

Also how do you put the .FIT directly into the garmin edge?

Thank you for your support!

@Neptali_Barrios Apologies - I initially didn’t fully understand the question. I have only used the .fit exporter with RGT. It looks like there are issues with exporting to Garmin Connect but I found this post that might be helpful.

There is also this post on how to get into TrainingPeaks.

Note that the browser extension was developed by @jessicat and not by Wahoo.

2 Likes

You have to log in to Garmin Connect on your computer, and drag the file into Garmin Connect. There’s an upload button. I’m also able to do this on my phone. Then Sync your Garmin and it’ll show in the workouts menu. Easy Peasy. Definitely doesn’t have to go into Training Peks first but that is useful as you cna schedule it them and it’ll pop up.on the Garmin on the right day.

You’re right, no GPX, I haven’t used the chrome extension in a while so had forgotten :+1:

2 Likes

@JSampson thank you! I will try…

Hello @DameLisa I was able to import the .fit to Intervals.icu and then remove manually the 10 min of warm up at the beginning and the 10 min of cool
Down at the end, I just noticed for .fit with more than 50 steps garmin cannot manage…

Thank you for your support…

1 Like

Hello @JSampson I was able to import the .fit to Intervals.icu and then remove manually the 10 min of warm up at the beginning and the 10 min of cool
Down at the end, I just noticed for .fit with more than 50 steps garmin cannot manage…

Thank you for your support…

1 Like

Sorry to bump such an old thread. I am now on the trial of Systm, and enjoying it, but as the OP I would like to export the workout to follow it on my garmin 965 and/or Edge 1040.
Using the extension on chrome I can’t export the Fit, is it because I am on trial?
If I pay the subcription can I export the swim, run and bike workouts to my garmin devices and do it with them?
It’s only that I am missing in order to subscribe to the platform. Thank you for the answers and have a nice weekend

Garmin can handle more than 50 steps, it just can’t edit/modify/view correctly on the device, but actually doing the workout is fine.

You need to have a paid subscription to use the browser extension. It only applies to cycling, and does not include secondary cadence targets.

I guess “fine” is a relative concept. For me, the workout screen and data fields on the Edge 840 are barely adequate, maybe not even that when I consider it won’t show secondary targets like cadence for workout not creating in Connect. Here are a few of my observations: The font size for the interval time and target are very small. I can usually see them fine but not in poor lighting or rough surfaces.

There is no countdown timer for the entire workout on this screen.

The vertical slider pointer on the left of Target lags and jumps too much to be of value. The central block is red whether I’m above or below target. Different color, perhaps yellow for below would be helpful. Have the arrow respond quicker and more smoothly, or use that real estate for something of value

The Up/down arrows to the right of 3 sec power are red whether above or below target. It would be better if the color was different, perhaps yellow for below. Also, they seem backward to me. My intuition is the arrows should indicate what I need to do. e.g If power is low, arrow points up indicating a need to increase power, and vice versa. As it is now, the arrow points up if I’m above the target and down if below the target, showing where I am rather than where I need to go.

When pausing a workout, power averaging isn’t paused so when resuming that interval, the avg power shows much lower during the rest of the interval.

For my purposes, the Workout graph is too short, longer or user settable would be good.

IDK where “Step distance” comes from. It’s of no value to me during a workout. I’d rather see secondary target or something. Or, replace it with two user data fields.

Data fields:

With repeats, the “Workout step” shows which step of a repeat you’re on rather than the step number. e.g. 1/2 , 2/2, 1/3, 2/3… If the workout has 12 steps made up of 2x2, 3x2 repeats, you never see which step of 12 you’re on.

“Duration” and “Time to go” show the same thing, the interval time. There should data field for the time to go for the entire workout.

If you add a Workout target field to another data screen, it only shows my current power with the up or down arrow beside it and not the target power.

Training Plan Glimpse on the home page shows wrong days and workouts on wrong days.

@Saddlesaur I’m not sure if this applies in your case of doing workouts outside, but the Pause that fouls up your average power MAY NOT cause that problem if you go into the settings of your 840 and change the Power Average to NOT INCLUDE ZEROS. I did this some time ago on mine because I invariably have to have small or sometimes large stops on outdoor rides, whether to refill water bottles or take pics or whatever, and I got tired of losing any sense of my power average in the process. (Strava will ALWAYS divide by zeros regardless, so it will give reduced Ave Power numbers anytime you have stops on the ride, so you’ll see that difference, sometimes small, sometimes huge if stops were extended. *disclaimer: I’m not positive if Strava will do this IF you pause the recording during stops? I don’t do manual pauses almost EVER because I don’t trust myself to remember to RESTART the device recording and have lost too many times doing that.)

As to your issues with font sizes, I totally agree, and am regularly aggravated with Garmin for their choice of font sizes that are far too restricted even when there’s AMPLE real estate on the screen to increase them. It’s ridiculous not to make fonts large enough to be seen by older eyes and in difficult lighting. Garmin won’t sell me another EDGE if they don’t fix this, which Wahoo seemingly HAS fixed for a long time with their “zoom” features on Bolt, Roam, Elemnt devices.

1 Like

Thank you for the extension.
I managed to export the workout and transfer it to garmin via intervals.icu (did not work directly or via Trainingpeaks).

However i noticed in training that the workouts are only power based, not heart rate based. not having a power meter on my outdoor-bike, i cannot use the workouts this way.

Did anyone figure out a way to get the wahoo system work outs in form of heart rate based workouts to a garmin device? I really love the system training plans and workouts, and it would be a shame not to be able to use the training plans because of that.

many thanks for any reply
claudio