Team Scream

Hi, first time doing ’ Team Scream’ tomorrow. Should this be done in level or erg mode considering the quick fire effort/power variations throughout the workout?

1 Like

1 vote: ERG.

6 Likes

My Direto takes about 5 secs to reach a target increase, not worried about going back down again, would that be quick enough or is it just case case of riding it as best you can and not worry about any trainer lags?

3 Likes

I find the lag in decrease in ERG power to be about the same as the lag in increase, so for short high power intervals, I generally continue a few secs after the scheduled decrease maintaining cadence and effort as best I can, which I feel partially compensates for the lag in increase.

5 Likes

Definitely erg mode, and stay in a small ring large cog combination. In level mode, you be constantly changing gears to adjust the power output.

Rob

4 Likes

Wellllll, I think you should ride it first in ERG mode, then immediately after in Level mode and let us know which one worked better :smiling_imp:

Actually, if you’re unsure, just start in ERG, then change to level if you don’t feel it is responsive enough. If you are on a computer you can just use the keyboard shortcuts ` for ERG and 0-9 for levels. I will often switch to level for the super short sprinty bits in the Shovel then back to ERG.

4 Likes

I guess I would vote w. @RServranckx on this, but I will tell you I’ve ridden it in both, and it really doesn’t make a big difference. I’ve been trying a lot more of the rides in level mode this year, just for gearing practice.

Go get 'em. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

ERG. I’ve a Kickr now but have done it on a Direto in the past and it is fine. In level mode you’ll spend a lot of your time changing gear/cadence.

3 Likes

I guess it depends on your trainer. I did Team Scream on a Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll fluid trainer (with the 20+ lbs flywheel), and really did not enjoy the experience. It was much more fun on my Wahoo Kickr, though I’ve not tried in on the kicker in Level mode…,

4 Likes

Current gen. Kickr.

1 Like

Another vote for ERG mode.

Are you using Bluetooth for the connection to the trainer? That generally is more responsive than ANT+ for power changes.

3 Likes

Thanks all, will go for ERG then and yes Bluetooth is the connection cheers

3 Likes

Enjoy! It’s a great workout. Remember, the pain will come!

3 Likes

Thanks,yeah I am expecting that especially after two days off stuffing my face.

4 Likes

Another vote for ERG.

1 Like

Wheel on trainer: Level. Wheel off: ERG. Most wheel on trainers will not respond fast enough to catch the quick changes in the ride.

2 Likes

Team Scream = Best workout Ever

We’re just stopping at the doughnut shop, you guys keep going…

5 Likes

LOL. Flogging Station 14 to remove those Couchlandrian Tendencies.

3 Likes

I copied this list from somewhere official, but I don’t remember where.

Workouts best done in Level Mode:

Violator
The Shovel
The Tool Shed
The Cure
Half is Easy
Cadence drills
Do As You’re Told (this will depend on your trainer)
Full Frontal (this should NEVER be done in ERG mode!)
The second half of Half Monty is also a Level Mode-only workout.

4 Likes

Definitely ERG. Easier to get in the Zone.
It’s such a great workout, probably one of my favorites (and one I love without hating it at the same time).

3 Likes