The Omnium. Have you suffered today?

Was browsing through the videos looking at which ones I hadn’t suffered on for the longest. For a while it was Downward Spiral. Feb 2020.
Then I clicked on the Omnium. Feb 2019!!

Now why was that. Obvs the Kilo!

So it hit my playlist today.

After a great lead in to the tour? A great tour and then a good relax I wondered how I would get on.

Well the kilo did what the kilo does. The lactic was flooding my legs at the end but I just hung on in there.

Turns out I set my new max HR (ever!) and a new highest VO2.

And the footage of the Omnium is incredible. I won’t leave it 2 years to do again! If you’ve not done it recently I highly recommend it.

12 Likes

@Rich_R I last did it for my KOS in the #7 spot. Things started getting dark after that one!

5 Likes

I’ve done it 3 times (i thought I’ve done it more). Last time was my KOS attempt back in Nov, as well, at #9. It kills me, but it’s a good one.

3 Likes

Did the Omnium yesterday. It wasn’t easy but I enjoyed it.

3 Likes

Just did the omnium for the first time this morning… 5 minute efforts are my strength, but that kilo being a 1 minute effort I guess is different enough to do me in…I did okay in the last race, but there was no way I was sprinting at the end.

Somehow I was within 2 watts of my previous 1 minute best from full frontal in the kilo… good consistency I guess?

Great suffering! Looking forward to killing it next time.

5 Likes

2fffc2186bc7e2664e352cc5eaa476ac

Another first for me. Utterly destroyed, but HOLY HELL HOW ABOUT THE OMNIUM?!? And yeah, flying 200 @ #4 and the kilometer @ #5 were just…something.

things-just-got-real

Luckily I’m “a sprinter” and a total velodrome nerd, so suffered through it, cracked like an egg, but smiled the whole way (sorry GvA). A new favorite - as sick as that sounds. Legitimately surprised my 1min and 4min power records didn’t fall today.

#bendtheknee

4 Likes

Did you enjoy the last 40 seconds before the recovery?

1 Like

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

While I have done the Omnium only twice, it is one of my favorite workouts.

1 Like

By the end of it, I was in a death spiral. I was just able to keep the pedals moving enough to reach the final recovery. :hot_face: :hot_face:

3 Likes

I did it twice last month. On a Monday, two weeks in a row.

It hurts so good.

2 Likes

Was the Omnium one of the workouts that was tweaked by @Coach.Neal.H?

1 Like

Why, did it hurt?

:smirk:

1 Like

Not as much as in the past, and the numbers in my training diary seem to back me up.
The last 20 second sprint did have its usual effect of bringing me close to reverse peristalsis.

1 Like

I suffered The Omnium for the first time yesterday. Oof! Only just staved off the spiral of doom in the final sprint after I just couldn’t get my cadence up when the power target made its last increase. But I did it. Now on a taper week ahead of FF on Sunday.

2 Likes

I noticed this and yes, Sir Neal did tweak the ride to be more realistic.

3 Likes

Had to look up how others got on with the Omnium as I suffered so much on it last night. I hadn’t done it since Feb '21 and don’t remember it being so painful. It must have been the kilo where I tailed of the last couple of seconds and the last sprint absolutely killed me, in/out/in/out saddle trying to keep any gear going at the power target. Ground it out just and just avoided the spiral of death. I didn’t remember it being so painful. Maybe my mind blocked out the whole episode. Maybe it didn’t help that my recovery week last week ended up with only 1 ride to work and back in the snow because life/work hit me in the face again!!!

4 Likes

I have done it once (August 2023)and I remember it well. Was shattered by the end and couldn’t hit the last 7 w/kg @ 120 rpm sprint, just managed grinding it until the spiral of death overcame me!!

4 Likes

@FatSprinter Well you did it correctly so congrats on that. Yeah - it is probably the toughest video for me in the library based on my strengths and weaknesses.

3 Likes

Similar experience… only done once, here are my ride notes - “August #monthlychallenge 2 of 4; miserably hard, spiraled out the last 5-7 seconds of last effort” :sweat:

3 Likes