The Wahooligan Tour 2024

Or, you can do both routes!

9 Likes

Another renaming possibility - “Wahoo! THE tour!” - says it all :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What is also interesting is that it went super fast to change the Sufferfest flag for similar reason. Hooligan somehow doesn’t seem to bother anyone at wahoo that much. But as someone said already, maybe that was still the old Sufferfest team that cared more for their users.
I wonder if someone at wahoo ever googled that word
when I try there are no nice things popping up at all
and for sure nothing about wahoo (yet at least)
Maybe this here is what Wahooligan wants to be? After all it is related to sport at least :pensive:

6 Likes

Regarding the actual Wahoo Tour 2024, it would be great if Wahoo could add the tour prep to the training plans, like here:

4 Likes

The wahoominati award 7 SUF points to Team DPF for the leak of a Sufferlandrian Tour route. #tuhntf #IWBMATTKYT

#twaaw

Xoom Xoom!

Xoom

10 Likes

@TheBlackKite Did it? I thought that was an issue that was around for a couple of years. In any case I agree that it would be great to address the word hooligan as it certainly has negative connotations in various parts of the world.

2 Likes

@gwydion Last year the Wathingymajig Tour was March 12-18, 2023. @Rupert.H announced the training plans on Tuesday, January 24th, and they became available for use on or around Monday, January 30th (so about 3.5 week prior to the event). I suspect a training plan is in the works and will be announced at a later date.

3 Likes

Ah great, thanks. With my current fitness I need to start yesterday
 But will kick off a new plan with the expectation of replacing it with a tour plan closer to the time. Cheers!

2 Likes

@Rupert.H any comments to make on the naming of the tour? Seems plenty of people across Europe are pretty solid in their condemnation of the use of the H word.

13 Likes

Well if is anything like last year, little or no training will be needed!!

2 Likes

YES! to the Sufferlandrian Route

3 Likes

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has shown positive enthusiasm so far for the Wahooligan Tour and we are excited to bring you 2 routes this year!

Regarding the conversation around the use of our brand term “Wahooligan”, this has been a core part of the Wahoo brand since its inception; its unique definition has been embraced by millions of our customers who have joined our passionate and supportive athlete community.

Wahooligan: /wahooligans/noun, plural:
Those who seek the relentless pursuit of their goal through fun, thinking differently and being driven by the data. United by a love of tracking and sharing all the amazing activities that make them “Wahoo!

A “Wahooligan” is someone who avidly supports, uses, or promotes Wahoo devices or equipment.

We of course always listen to our community as a whole and take on feedback. Our use of this play on words is not meant to cause offense and hope you can embrace our original definition and its positive intent.

We also want to ensure the focus around this year’s Wahooligan Tour stays on track - a way to challenge yourselves and support a very worthwhile cause. We are proud to support the Davis Phinney Foundation and the incredible work the foundation does to help people living with Parkinson’s live well today.

We are looking forward to having veteran and new Tour participants join us in February - more to come in January!

2 Likes

With due respect Sir @Rupert.H, just because the Wahoolimabob brand has been as it has since inception isn’t a defence for its continued use. Perhaps The Company was unaware of just how off-putting their play on words is. Or maybe they were unaware of the European experience. In any case, at this point in time, that’s no longer a justification.

Just as The Sufferfest meant no harm or offense with its original flag, Sir David took the feedback to heart and implemented the change to the new laser goat. There was a lot of complaining about that change and there still is to a certain extent. But doing the right thing is more important than trying to please everyone.

Tradition is not a rationale to continue with something, even if it is wholeheartedly embraced by many who don’t see it the same way.

I’d call upon The Company to do the right thing.

32 Likes

Let me see if I have this straight. Wahoo makes up a definition and then uses it here as if it is some kind of authoritative proof of something. With all due respect
no.

Agree 100% Sir Glen.

20 Likes

Simple solution, drop the “g”.

8 Likes

Plays on words don’t work like that, you can’t take a plain nasty term and add a bit and expect the nasty part to be redefined.

Maybe the nastiness of the word is just underestimated by wahoo, you can’t play on a word like hooligan any more than words like Racists, Thugs, Violence, bigots, supremacists and expect everyone to forget the original meaning.

I’m not sure what more we can do to convince the company. It’s a bit shameful

17 Likes

Wahoolian is an improvement.

Maybe a Wahooster gets up early in the morning and crows about his new FF numbers? And perhaps a Wahoozer is someone who ignores career and family and pedals every day until they retch and can barely walk? And a Wahoosier will only engage in indoor exercise inside the state of Indiana?

All of my rather pathetic tries are still better than Wahooligan. It’s not that hard.

11 Likes

Well I guess its hopeless
maybe Wahoo really likes to be associated with Hooligans
such a pity

6 Likes

"We also want to ensure the focus around this year’s Wahooligan Tour stays on track - a way to challenge yourselves and support a very worthwhile cause. "

You are trying to use DPF and what they do to support your argument for continued use of the current Tour name, as if a different Tour name would somehow not have a positive impact. How about “The DPF Tour presented by Wahoo”, or, the “Davis Phinney Foundation Challenge, presented by Wahoo”. It’s okay for Wahoo to take a backseat and let DPF be the frontseat focus for the Tour. The current Tour name promotes the Company more than the Foundation. What sounds better when people post their Tour rides on Strava? “Wahooligan Tour” or one of the two choices provided here (or names provided by others). Everyone will understand that they participated in the Tour via support from Wahoo. Win-Win.

22 Likes

I’m a United States citizen, and really didn’t have a lot of grasp of the connotation of the word “hooligan” until this whole debate came up here last year. But it wasn’t hard to see the point, and shouldn’t be hard for Wahoo to figure this out.
I totally LOVE my KICKR Bike, but it is the only thing in my arsenal from Wahoo. I used the earlier model TICKRs and had decent experience with them, but now use Garmin’s HRM Dual, which I would not rate much better than the old TICKRs; each had a strength and a glaring weakness.

My SINCERE HOPE is that Wahoo continues to thrive and grow, and especially that SYSTM does the same. I was not and will not become a Zwift fan unless SYSTM goes away AND Zwift provides real video and does away with video game workouts. PERIOD.

But this whole defense of the term Wahooligan is pretty sad, in my opinion.
I SURE wouldn’t want to be in the shoes of anyone trying to defend it because there just ISN’T ANY GOOD DEFENSE.
As others have accurately said, the company is fighting to do business in a WORLD market, not an isolated USA market, and while I personally have HATED some of the crap that has been done in my country to undermine legitimate historic figures, this issue has no similarity at all to those excesses.

This isn’t about any one individual that should or should not be defended, and about whom various opinions might be held. It’s about a blanket term that has a clear meaning, being attached as a suffix to the company name, and then magically redefined as something altogether different from the understood definition.

Is it EASY for Wahoo to back down on this?
I hardly think so.
Is it needful?
Unless the term “hooligan” has fallen out of use and been forgotten all over the world, I don’t see any path forward that justifies retaining Wahooligan.

20 Likes