The Wahooligan Tour Stage 1 - Official Race Thread

The Wahooligan Tour STAGE 1 - Sunday February 25

Every dollar you raise plays a vital role in providing resources to those affected by Parkinson’s. We are incredibly grateful for your support of the Davis Phinney Foundation.
DONATE NOW

Day 1 of the Wahooligan Tour kicks off with a bang – an exhilarating moment that brings together all your training efforts for the ultimate 7-day cycling adventure!

Get ready for Stage 1, where we’ll dial in a perfect blend of sustained efforts and some heart-pounding MAP sprints to keep things interesting.

Just like the grand tours, by the week’s end, we’ll crown our yellow and green jersey fundraising champions. Picture yourself on that podium and let’s ride together towards our fundraising goal to support the Davis Phinney Foundation!

Don’t forget to tag @wahoofitness on any of your Tour relates social posts.

Wahooligan Route: The Best Way is Blended
In this mash-up, the steady tempo climb from The Way Out gets your aerobic system working nicely, just enough to ensure you are firing on all cylinders for the Pain Shakes from Blender, which is one of the best sets of efforts for both Anaerobic Capacity (AC) and Maximal Aerobic Power (MAP). Ending the session with a race simulation from The Best Thing in the World challenges your body’s ability to recover at an effort that is not much below threshold. This has the effect of challenging your AC, MAP, and FTP all in one fell swoop.

Suferlandrian Route: Blender
A smorgasbord of Suffering, this session has it all. First, a variety of longer efforts build sustained power while also making sure you’re sufficiently fatigued. This initial beatdown is necessary to ensure you get the maximum benefit from Blender’s infamous ‘Pain Shakes.’ Three sets of these little devils help you develop a supernatural ability to recover from big efforts. The bonus is that you also beef up your ability to produce high-end power, building Anaerobic Capacity and Maximal Aerobic Power simultaneously.
The threshold efforts at the end are the bitter cherry on the sundae, improving your body’s ability to produce aerobic power and helping make sure your FTP will get the same boost as your AC and MAP. A rising tide of lactic acid raises all boats. Oh, and clocking in at one hour and 40 minutes, Blender will also help whip your endurance into a frenzy.

Remember, you have 50 hours to complete each stage. As long as it’s still today’s date anywhere on earth, you’re golden. Check out the Tour Challenge Page for details on stage open and close times.

You never ride alone.
Ride with us! Join VIPs and Davis Phinney Foundation staff on Zoom at 9 am MDT (Boulder, CO USA) during the Tour - add this zoom link to your calendar to participate.

Meeting URL: https://dpf-org.zoom.us/j/89930746160?pwd=enVpazc5bWtCaUNyOUlwL0ZHeDc2Zz09&from=addon
Meeting ID: 899 3074 6160
Passcode: 919989

Your Tour Merchandise
The Official 2024 Wahooligan Tour Poster is available for purchase with all proceeds going to the Davis Phinney Foundation! Add this year’s poster to your collection!

https://www.zazzle.com/official_poster_the_wahooligan_tour_2024-256006712585193096

6 Likes

Don’t forget the team trophy - for when the ToS Citizens stomp your corporate butts…

6 Likes

ummm… :musical_score: :notes: :notes: Let’s do the time warp again :notes: :notes: Dang minions!

3 Likes

That’s a very minion thing to do. :joy:

3 Likes

Blender dusted. I thought about attempting this Tour in level mode but bleary eyed at 6am decided on Erg, and the minions duly punished me. Kicking off the second pain shakes my Kickr bike poured on the resistance 2 seconds early, grinding me to a standstill and forcing a standing start interval, which put me in a lactic hole for the rest of the set.

Onwards to Stage 2, so I’ll spend the rest of today dreading that 5th hammer (the Froome breakaway). That one slaughters me every time.

7 Likes

Zazzle has a mind of its own, I can’t change the preview the forum generates. I can confirm it is the 2024 Tour poster.

edit: Ignore that I caught the typo and have updated! off to be flogged I go…

4 Likes

3 Likes

did you catch the typos on Zazzle too? Or does the Sufferlandrian route really have 6 Sufferests and 1 Sufferfest? Dang minions!! :rofl: :rofl:

There is no relief or comfort to be found in Sufferlandria, only Sufferests :wink:

5 Likes

3 Likes

I swapped this out a few weeks back

2 Likes

IMG_5086

3 Likes

2 Likes

Stage 1 :white_check_mark: :checkered_flag:

Multi-Tasking-Suffering with Mike Cotty, first Daniel Ricciardo and later Nyck de Vries.

5 Likes

[quote=“Glen.Coutts, post:8, topic:25009”]
There is no relief or comfort to be found in Sufferlandria, only Sufferests :wink:
[/quote]:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::sweat_smile:

TINROCTBFISOS ? Brand New By Sir @Glen.Coutts

4 Likes

Hehe.

3 Likes

Well, there was no way I was gonna let the Wahoolawonkas ride a Suf vid that wasn’t part of The Sufferlandrian Route. And, hopefully it’s one that will bring the Suffercurious across the Great Lactic Acid Sea to take permanent residence in Sufferlandria, the greatest mythical nation in the whole wide world, obvs.

Here’s a before The Best Way is Blended pic:

And here’s one in the middle of a pain shake.

10 Likes

My match report: tougher than I remembered Blender being, therefore an ideal first stage of the Tour! There is nowhere to hide on the Suf route, you sign up knowing it will be an epic beating. And it delivered, for me the first blocks hit nice & hard, the pain shakes are hellish as ever, but you get the privilege of riding with the great man TP for a few minutes at the end, always gives me goosebumps - combination of watching a legendary rider, high HR, knackered legs, banging soundtrack, and the holy water flooding down). Pure suf.

S1 down. Bring the Hammers.

5 Likes

Stage 1 done! Oh happy days

I completed the final stage of last year’s Tour with the renowned stage 7b, and this year, as I haven’t noticed Sir @Glen.Coutts sprinkling any extra enterpainment Sufferlandrian delicacies into the Tour yet, I’ve decided to kick off this year’s Tour by following his lead, combining the two stage 1 KoS-like (wannabe).

I guess…

6 Likes

I can’t even follow my own lead most of the time but I’m very happy to see more people adding in TBWIB to the SUF route if for no other reason than it was the only Suf vid the Willywonkanators have in their route that wasn’t in ours. That’s bordering on heresy isn’t it @Heretic?

7 Likes

5 Likes