The Wahooligan Tour STAGE 7: To Get To The Other Side workout on RGT Stelvio

This.
I’ve never done a workout on RGT before, and I probably never will again. It really makes you realise what an amazing product Sufferfest is when you try do a workout without the video, music, and a decent interface to help you keep track of the targets.

But RGT is great for ‘I don’t feel like a workout, let me just go climb a hill / ride a road somewhere’. I don’t have any virtual buddies that I’d ever cycle with, but I do like having real people on RGT to chase / try stay ahead of. This morning, I managed to overtake a real person 250m from the top of Stelvio, having chased him for about 4km (when he appeared at the top of the leaderboard thingy on the left). Such a good feeling :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Hopefully The Company is realizing that (or will) when they bring back the ToS for next year…

As much as I’m interested in all the content - and there’s certainly a place for the inspiration vids, on location, etc. - the Sufferfest vids (and to my mind MAYBE the ProRides) HAVE to remain the go-to for actual training in SYSTM.

There is not one SUFF vid that I’ve done multiple times that I couldn’t do again. I mean, there are some I don’t WANNA do (looking at you Kitchen Sink), but that’s another thing.

17 Likes

Done! First tour in the books. I did Stage 7 in SYSTM based on the numerous posts here on problems with RGT. I may give RGT a whirl tomorrow on TGTTOS. Didn’t want to risk earning a badge after six solid days of hard work! Seems on RGT it may be a bit more strenuous too.

Love the Mt. Sufferlandria climb at the end of the SYSTM workout. I live near an actual active volcano (Mt. Etna). I have a goal to climb it this summer so I’ll use Mike (pre quitting) as inspiration. :grin:

10 Likes

Precisely! That’s kinda why I added it. That and to have a true Queen Stage and that feeling of relief and satisfaction that comes as a reward for all your efforts. Way to go and get it done. So glad I had other takers. Structured workouts on a sim are mind numbing when the effort and your gearing don’t match the terrain. Congrats on adapting and overcoming the obstacles!

Xoom Xoom!

Proper enough. The “spirit” of 7b, the true “spirit” of Sufferlandria was the slog up the Stelvio, the descent was just a tick in an irrelevant box. So, while not at all necessary and no one is gonna stop you, If you want to do the whole thing again, go ahead and crush it. If you don’t it doesn’t matter a lick. You’ve made the nation proud!

To answer your other question, The wahoominati are watching VERY closely. The wahoominati are ALWAYS watching. #twaaw

10 Likes

As posted earlier, thinking of doing TGTTOS in RGT. Couple of questions. I see it in Canary Wharf. Is that the correct one? Not looking for the group ride. Also, what does 7a and 7b mean? Do see any workouts with that in their titles. Thanks!

2 Likes

This post explains how it works in RGT:

As for a and b rides, that’s something people came up with themselves to add to the suffering

4 Likes

I just did the last stage ut the Stelvio on RGT, but did it with Erg mode off. Was very hard and fun! I don’t understand all you who complain. I prefer SYSTM and the SUFF videos but this RGT thing is also cool. Feels very natural.

8 Likes

I have just done the stage 7 ride (P.White). I had everything controlled by SYSTM on my laptop whilst running RGT in the background , both on my laptop. Firstly, apologies to the other riders as at first I had no idea how to use mic/voice/ push to mute(which didn’t seem to work) and all the other voice stuff so I had the SYSTM app running with the music and didn’t know how to turn it off on RGT. Eventually I just turned down the volume in the SYSTM settings and ran that without the sound so I could use the mic, which seemed to work ok sort of. I am still not sure how it all works but I muddled through so I need to look through some info on that for future reference. As I had everything controlled by SYSTM, the only way to get RGT start was to connect my power pedals to it, which are dual pedals and it only recorded one side(half the power) on my laptop which is only Bluetooth so that left me way back (last) in the ride as I presume position is based on power/watts per kg??. All in all a mixed bag but got the ride done in SYSTM ok which was a lot easier than expected

2 Likes

Wow, super intuitive :joy:. Thanks. I really want to give RGT a try. Just not into gamification of my training. Thanks again.

3 Likes

tl;dr: 7a is TGTTOS (on RGT or SYSTM), 7b is the full Passo Dello Stelvio on RGT in level mode, 100% trainer difficultly, using the gears you have and grinding it out until you get it done. However long it might take.

As a Knight and a member of the Knights of Sufferlandria Team, we were looking for some shenanigans. When the route was first announced, I thought the Stage 7 ending was a little anti-climactic especially since The Company was so strongly encouraging folks to do it on RGT. I’ve done structured workouts in sim apps like Zwift and when the effort and your gearing don’t come anywhere close to the virtual terrain you’re on, I find it unbearably boring. Yeh the work may still be hard but there’s no mental engagement. At least not for me.

I’ve also done a LOT of climbing in sim apps, like Zwift mostly but also FulGaz and Rouvy and RGT and that really can be engaging. Both physically and mentally especially if you set the apps at 100% trainer difficulty and ride in slope/level mode. It’s as close to real world climbing as you’re ever gonna get while never leaving the discomfort of your Bicycle Torture Chamber.

So to end The Wahoolimabob Tour on a true Queen Stage, I committed to riding the Stelvio as above calling the stage 7b. I encouraged others to do it. A few have already done both 7a and b, a few have yet to start (myself included). I was hoping to raise a few more bucks for my DPF fundraising efforts but thanks to some VERY generous donors and an auction of SUF memorabilia, I’ve already blown all my previous fundraising efforts out of the water. Currently sitting at $1110.00!

So, go ahead and add 7b to your agenda knowing that the reward is 100% personal. No extra badges, but I will award anyone who reaches the summit, 46 SUF points.*

*SUF points have no cash value but can be redeemed for a downloadable image of a not very high resolution image of The Wahoolimabob Tour poster or floggings.

13 Likes

Joined the group ride but decided to run SYSTM version at same time in case of issues.
Everything went smoothly with both as it turned out.
Agree with others that the workout concept on RGT was frustrating as I was quite enjoying the “steering” and route graphics are reasonably engaging. A straight group ride would have been better finale.
Nevertheless Stage 7 and “celebration” complete.

4 Likes

I did the original Suff version. Of, to get to the other side
RGT rides never go right.

Can’t help thinking what am anticlimax. Not expecting the good gains that I often got from th Tour of Suff

6 Likes

Did the 7am ride but I guess I signed up wrong. I was doing the bar graph TGTTOS workout. I wanted to be riding just straight uphill on the Stelvio. My avatar was there with other riders but my power was being controlled by what the graph was showing. So when there was a rest interval there was little power and others just flew by. I was expecting to be just slogging uphill for over an hour. I had the ERG off in the RGT sensor setting but in SYSTM ERG was on. I thought since I was in the RGT app I didn’t need need to change my setting in SYSTM. Oh well lessons learned. Maybe next time it can be a little less confusing for us that are less technical. Sufferfest workouts are still my favorite but it was interesting to experience the various types of riding platforms. And let’s not forget the basic reason for this tour to raise funds for a devastating disease.

8 Likes

@HoneeG To just slog uphill, you can still join an event, but don’t also use SYSTM and Toggle off ERG mode in RGT. Then you’ll just ride up the hill.

There’s another in about 1.5 hours :rofl: Join in!

1 Like

Congratulations to everyone who has completed the Wahooligan Tour so far and apologies if you ran into technical difficulties.

I switched off the rubber band on the remaining organized rides to make sure you did not run out of road before the top. To complete the stage, complete the workout or get to the top of the stelvio, you choose and both count!

Make sure to watch the celebration video of the breathing exercise. You are right, the breathing video was just added yesterday as we were going to embed a tour celebration video but ran into some technical difficulties so look out for that on Instagram and Facebook on Monday :wink:

In the meantime, if you want to squeeze a bit more out of your body for the tour, you can always ride the unofficial bonus stage. Thanks again for riding the tour and raising money for the Davis Phinney Foundation to support the work they do helping people with Parkinson’s live well today :heart:

6 Likes

…and here on the forum? For those that refuse to support Meta hell?

12 Likes

I wasn’t able to load both the workout AND stelvio it kept giving me Canary Warf ride as the only option so I did that using the TGTTOS profile and, you guessed it, no credit. I’m not a tough guy like you so looks like no badge this year, oh well. And the experience with the RGT ride was dire only entertainment was the occasional swearing by the presumably French rider who had a hot mike :wink:

6 Likes

I completed Stage 7 while watching a very exciting Milano-sanremo. I really love this feature that we can minimize the videos on SYSTM and watch something else. Although I do like Sir Mike, I have done TGTTOS many many times.

Congrats to all who have finished the Tour!

7 Likes

This :point_up:t2:

Well said Sir.

3 Likes

@nicktick I would recommend the NoVids on RGT. You can export them using the Browser Extension and then send them to workouts@rgtcycling.com and then find them when you sort by your workouts. I tend to use a flat course like Canary Wharf or Borrego Springs and generally stick to stuff like NM or AC work or some of the FTP build series.

@nicktick That might have been me - someone passed me close to the end of the ride. I wasn’t in ERG and it was a grind all the way up the climb and I was pretty much done at the top and couldn’t even get a descent sprint for the finish. I think that part is definitely one of the benefits of RGT.

There are lots of situations in SYSTM where you feel like you could overtake a rider but of course it is just film and so it can’t happen but it can in RGT and I agree that it is satisfying and motivational.

Overall I do like the group rides in RGT and have been on a few of the Wahoo sponsored events. I haven’t done any virtual racing yet but it is on my list.

2 Likes