TOS 2022: Stage 1 is OPEN! Let's hear your stories from the road!

Oh, that picture quite neatly sums up how things felt after Stage 1. Zombie-mode gets fully engaged from that point until sleep.

6 Likes

To ride through the pain as any prospective Knight is willing to do…. Is one step beyond my suffering.

After committing to the kingdom and the suffering for which it stands, I was unable to begin my quest for knighthood. An unfortunate incident ten days before the testing with a wood chewing chained beast, left 25% of my right patellar tendon attached.

In the shift of a derailleur, ten months of preparation, sweat and expectations were lost. I am now plagued with recurring nightmares of the Laser Goat leading the way down the Royal path that I am currently unable to follow.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you….young and old(er), those fit and those aspiring, those well and those with challenges. Give all that you can and then give some more for those of us who would love to be suffering with you. May you all be well tested and found worthy.

18 Likes

Thanks Sir :pray:, 2/7 down at 100%, goal is 100% 7/7 … hope my legs don’t follow the downward spiral the other day :joy::see_no_evil:

7 Likes

What great start for the Tour.
Very much ‘enjoyed’ it. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

:doughnut: :biking_man: :goat: ToS2022 - Stage 1. Wahoo SYSTM: ProRides: Giro d’Italia Donne 1.

This video was supposed to be a YouTube live stream.
But after 2 days of trying to get OBS working together with my GoPro Hero10 I gave up.
The stream froze after a couple of minutes no matter what settings I tried.
Does anybody know how to use OBS (or an alternative software) to stream live on YouTube with your GoPro?
I would very much appreciate your help.

Please support me. Your donations to the DAVIS PHINNEY FOUNDATION would be a great motivation to keep pushing through this stage race nuclear and will help a lot.

Please follow the link and make a small contribution. That would be so awesome.
It really makes a difference!

http://dpf.convio.net/site/TR/TeamDPF/TourofSufferlandria?px=1099568&pg=personal&fr_id=1271

7 Likes

Oh man!!

Not lost. Filed away for when you are able :slight_smile:

This totally SUX Yak balls for you, obviously, but thanks for thinking of us. Thinking of you, it’s not too late to join the #alttour

4 Likes

“Laundry’s piling up…”
Aren’t you wearing the same bib shorts all week? No need to wash them, this is the tour of Sufferlandria after all…!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Yeah. But only us Sufferlandrians are supposed to suffer. No need to expose other users of common space to our odoriferous residue.

5 Likes

Peace (PACE) flag.

I have completed the Giro d’Italia Donne stage within the ‘time cut!’ The race inspired me to have my finishing photo with the PACE (peace) flag that we got in Italy in 2006. It sure seems the world could benefit from this. Also, during that trip we visited Assisi and were pleasantly impressed with the town and St Francis, particularly with his connection to ecology and animals. This and the happenstance visit to St. Francis Winery in Sonoma Valley in 2016 with our dear Charlee- the Wonder Dogg (RIP) for a blessing-of-the-animals event (Father Alvin in the photo enjoying Charlee), influenced our decision to return to the winery for my birthday on Saturday. What a great weekend and a fine start to the Tour of Sufferlandria 2022. RIde in PEACE brothers and sisters of the Nation! 🍀
![8064E322-C0B3-4D38-9D81-3FA5FF5CE36B|666x500](upload://88j

sUKaWEa50Dk8AhfID2vyoWTS.jpeg)

8 Likes

Precisely! And there is always the worry that the dogs will decide a stinky chamois is a new toy.

6 Likes

Completed stage 1 yesterday :slight_smile:

I’d been worried about the shifting as I use a manual wheel on trainer with speed based resistance (Omnium overdrive) and a 1x gravel bike (40t x 11-42) with a power meter. The rapid shifting got pretty punishing, especially the rapid 60w → 240w → 60w bursts. I think next time I’d maybe try disengaging my derailleur’s clutch as it was starting to channel GvA and slam the chain into the small cogs on the cassette with those rapid large shifts of 4-6 cogs…

Makes me think ERG mode on a smart trainer would probably be nicer for Pro Rides :sunglasses:

I cleaned the rollers before the stage, I’ve only seen rubber loss like this on Half is Easy; my poor Michelin Power Roads! :fire:

3 Likes

Did that trick anyone else? I didn’t freewheel at all and was tempted to up the % (already on nuclear) even though I’d upped all by values by 10-25W pre tour (not mad; had been upping levels on workouts before so knew it was possible) but then the last 25 minutes or so suddenly killed me. Levels that had previously seemed easy felt hard. It was almost like a proper bonk. Never again shall I approach a longish session with no food.

7 Likes

Wow dude, you didn’t eat? For two hours on a bike? Join those that do fasted rides, maybe they understand it. I would have chewed and swallowed the stem…

1 Like

Not me, either. Can’t stomach anything other than Tailwind Endurance sports drink. Two bottles was just about enough at half strength mix.

4 Likes

i just had one Cliff Bar the entire ride.

1 Like

2 pop tarts for me

2 Likes

umm…yeah? my final output showed 1250ish KCal, so that would make for a “proper bonk”. :grimacing:

If it will make you feel better, I bonked WITH a feed plan in place.

4 Likes

No I had porridge before. Just during it. Thought just over two hours would be fine.

2 Likes

Got to fuel good and proper before the ride. for this one it was porridge with 40g of raisins. Some rides I will toast to.

1 Like

I can do a 2 hour fasted ride and often do. But those are not at this intensity. But I do have issues eating anything much more than a stoopwafel. For a ride like this it is generally liquid carbs for the first 60-75 minutes and then water the rest of the way out.

1 Like