ToS 2022: Stage 5: A Very Dark Place - who's afraid of the dark?

Legs felt good, mind straight, energy up.
Highest recorded power was the last sprint. Took my finish photo. Felt great.

Counted wrong

So I guess I’m tired after all

*Also had the lights turned off to really let AVDP sink I *

9 Likes

Let me just start by saying to each his or her own, and I really enjoy reading about Sufferlandrians digging deep into the feels to find their motivation to finish a stage. But that’s…not me.

Have felt gassed this whole tour, struggling hard @ :100:%, not exactly covering myself in glory. So this morning - prior to Stage 5 - I sat down with a cup of coffee, downloaded all my account info and wrote a script to dump my last year’s (first) ToS into a spreadsheet alongside this one. The data told the story - my efforts this year are 20-50% improved over this time a year ago, across the board. TSS, n/power, heart rate, power over time, etc.

Now THAT was a motivator for me! so NOT TODAY AVDP! :100:% end-to-end, pain shakes galore but made it over the hump!

No doubt the humble pie diet will continue the rest of the week, but I’m grateful for this app, training and community that have helped me improve so much this past year!

robb-stark

#embracethesuck

20 Likes

I’m just glad other people heard it too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Stage 5 in the bag, boy it hurt. Lactic-tastic. Did all bar one of the 4 min blocks at :100:, first one was half at :100:, half at 90%.
The madness has set in……I’ve a 10 hour shift tomorrow so am tagging on Stage 6 now at a lower intensity. I know I’ll be pleased I did when I get home from work tomorrow. Here goes TBTITW.

4 Likes

Nope. No. Naaah. Nada. Not gonna happen.

Stage 5 is dun. It started dark but I found the way out and stepped into the light.

6 Likes

Completed. I was scheduled to do it in focused mode, but went for the nuclear option. The fourth interval was the hardest for me. I also just had to push through the last sprint. After 4 minutes of relatively low cadence, I wasn’t able to hit the cadence for the sprint.

Still satisfied with the effort. Last time I rode it, MAP was 236. Today, I did it with MAP at 263.

4 Likes

knives-out-it-makes-no-damn-sense-2

2 Likes

I actively avoided AVDP for 12+ months (since I started with SUF) because of its reputation. Doing the Tour on Nuclear, day 5 is already a toughie. Before I started, I was sure I’d crack, or have to adjust intensity down at some point.

In the end it WAS awful … but no where near as bad as you all made it seem. :sweat_smile: My first expletive came out before the warm-up was even over, but just before the 4th interval the video asks if you’re ready for another (or something) and I said out loud ‘bring it on mtherfcker!’

So thanks for adding this to the Tour so I was FORCED to ride it! Not saying I’ll be doing it again any time soon, but it’s nice to know that I can.

8 Likes

Love this workout. This was the strongest I’ve felt all week, a welcome relief from the short sharp intervals in the last two stages. Starting to believe I might make the finish…

5 Likes

Felt better than I thought it would. 2x20min recovery rides to work every day is probably good. Even if the legs protest in the morning.

Magnus /Stockholm Manual Wattbike Pro

6 Likes

Oooh, binary…

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

That clock looks terrible - the PLL will never lock.

2 Likes

Whimper.
AVDP done at 100% maintaining my nuclear record. But it was close, Cancellara nearly had me on the cobbles.

I actually find the last interval OK - cadence to match the music means i don’t keep looking up at the clock after 3 minutes solid work to find that 30 seconds have elapsed…

6 Likes

Love the evil laugh :laughing:

2 Likes

Stage 5 in the bag at full gas :+1:
Is it me or is this getting easier ?
Don’t get me wrong I still leave a puddle of holy water under the bike, the HR still goes up to 170 but I’m doing so much better keeping the breathing in control :grinning:

5 Likes

Fully agree with you on that one

Hi. Sounds like you are ready for long scream or hammer chase 1. AVDP is normally very tough. Perhaps your legs have adapted during the first 4 days?

3 Likes

Today’s AVDP ride was a fulfillment of “wishes”. When looking at the profile before starting, I couldn’t recall if they were 5 minutes of yellow. I wished for them to be shorter than 5. Imagine my delight … at least for the first half of the first interval. It started to feel very long at that point. I kept telling myself that the first interval is the hardest … but I forgot to “wish” that. The second interval continued to feel longer. In the third interval with low cadence, I decided to “wish” for high cadence. Positive attitude and optimism should prevail and help performance, so it was worth a try. Unfortunately in the fourth interval with my granted wish, I realized I didn’t in fact like the high cadence any longer, and “wished” for low cadence instead. Of course, the final interval gave me what I wished for … upon which point I realized I really should have “wished” for normal cadence. All’s well in the end, though, with the 5th stage completed. I “wish” everyone the Best of luck in tomorrow’s stage, if that’s a Thing.

7 Likes

“You can do anything for xx minutes.” - GvA

:roll_eyes: :wink:

6 Likes

Not a Climber :face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

8 Likes