ToS 2022: Stage 7: Sir Dan Corrick HONOUR Stage - OPEN!

That. Was. Hard.
For the second half this week I thought I was crushing it.
And today I crushed it again and it crushed me right back.
I am so done…

15 Likes

Зроблено :wink: //exact equivalent for “Done”

5 Likes

What a finale!! Had a couple tears in my eyes during Blender. This one’s for you Sir Dan!

15 Likes

An honor to once again be a small part of this great event, topped off by an epic stage! Here’s my victory salute! (Victory over my own desire to quit so many times over the week.)

Broke out last years DPF jersey for the occasion! Thank you to the Phinney family for all the joy you’ve given to so many cycling fans over the years.

17 Likes

7/7 done 180 miles and 7500 calories. The blender time trial efforts broke my 100 streak and I limped home from there really. A lot of me hurts except for my smile.

An incredible final stage with the selection and the messages, more than a bike ride today.

11 Likes

Thanks to everyone for making this such a great community! I’ve really enjoyed being a part of this year’s Tour.

Stage 7 was a great way to finish it off. I loved seeing the messages in Blender and the tributes to Sir Dan.

13 Likes

Done. Nuclear throughout. I’m proud but it sure feels insignificant compared to what’s going on in Ukraine. My heart goes out to those poor people losing their homes and lives. It’s not right.

On a lighter note, what also is not right is that for some reason my power in erg mode didn’t drop to recover after the fifth pain shake of the second set. 90 seconds of pain shake!! I stuck it out but damn, brutal!!

14 Likes

And if I may, for those Sufferlandrians who reside in Colorado and wish to support improving bicycle safety, there isn’t a better organization to support for education and advocacy than Bicycle Colorado! (https://www.bicyclecolorado.org/) In honor of Sir Dan!

8 Likes

Cue the evil laugh

4 Likes

What a fabbo cause, Tour and community.

Chapeau to all involved.

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

10 Likes

Ok, Stage 8 or Stage 1v2 depending on perspective, is in the books. I just finished Giro d’Italia Donne 1 for the second time. Had to do it in Stage 1 at 80% on doctors restriction. Did 2-7 Nuclear. So I went back to the Stage 1 ride and did it again, Nuclear.

Tomorrow I rest! :sleeping_bed:

19 Likes

That was rough. I never planned to do the whole tour on nuclear and I’m glad I eased up a bit during stage 6 or I never would have finished stage 7.

Did SUF Idol in level mode.

Did the Blender warm up and first half of the first interval at 100%. But my knee told me I needed to tone it down, so I did the rest at 90% and all was okay.

Did Cash Register at 100% for all but NM. Started with NM at 75% and as the target dropped I slowly increased the % and ended with NM at 91% on the final sprint. I don’t know how I even managed to finish. Had to be the guiding spirit of Sir Dan and my own thoughts of my dad and Davis Phinney. I finished with my hands in the air and then tears in my eyes.

In the end I smelled of tears, shredded chamois, and Sufferlandrian holy water. It was an effort worthy of a Sufferlandrian Knight. I bow my head in honor of Sir Dan and his family. I pray no one has to suffer as his family has.

Cheers and respect to every brave Sufferlandrian who has fought hard and suffered to finish the TOS and/or helped raise money for the DPF. :crossed_swords::v::raised_hands:

23 Likes

What an absolute beauty of a stage.

I stuck to the nuclear targets in SUF Idol, came out feeling strong but apprehensive about Blender.

I accepted the Focused reduction of the FTP targets to 97% since sustained is a weakness and I wasn’t sure if I could finish otherwise. After smashing the pain shakes (I did cyclocross racing last year, so the footage was energizing!) I decided to up my targets back to 100 for the time trial efforts… That nearly broke me, and when I dismounted after the thankfully long cooldown my vision was distinctly blurry.

A quick water fill later and I was ready for Cash Register, targets set at 100% and in level mode so I could really empty the tank. That (and the inspiring story of Phinney) proved an excellent choice – I set an all time max power record! My five year old son wandered in for the last couple of sprints to cheer me on, although by then it was all I could do just to meet the sprint targets.

Because the only thing better than suffering is more suffering, after a bath and a sandwich we went out for a 3k run together!

14 Likes

Completing the TOS 2022 for country and heritage and especially to raise money for such a noble charity! To our eastern European friends “David took the stone and slung it, striking the Phillistine killing him”.

10 Likes

Two things: 1. I did all of them in order trying to stay within Knighthood specs. Two critters, very hungry ones, made this difficult. Finished yesterday with the Get Me Through It level. I managed to save the efforts and the next time I encounter any of these rides, I’m going to up my game.
2. Sir David, is there any way that we can save off the Sir Dan version of Blender? It would be fantastic to be able to revisit AND reride it. I don’t know if there way a Dame Alyssa version of Angels but it would be great to reride that one as well.

11 Likes

Wow. I did not expect to get so emotional today. The Ukrainian and Russian riders. The messages. The order to STAND, and I think, No w–

DO IT FOR DAN!

–ay am I staying seated right now!

Then Davis Phinney talking about the course of his disease, treatments, and surgery just like my mom’s.

I barely made through Cash Register. Then hearing Davis’s voice and seeing him raise his arms… well, I started bawling.

This one’s for you, mom, and for love of seeing you live well with Parkinson’s.

Chapeau and thanks for a great Tour, everyone!

28 Likes

I’m not gonna lie, I thought they had me in the first half

Another Tour finished. Things got dark for a while today. A long time in the saddle and a long week leading up to it.

Much suffering was had

This one is for Ukraine!

11 Likes

Stage 7 :white_check_mark:. Of course there is only one kit that a Knight can wear for the Sir Dan Honour Stage. What a beast! Even at the GMTI it was serious suffering.

Socks to win SUF Idol and thinking of @CPT_A :slight_smile:

Mismatched for Blender a la @DameLisa

Why I do this plus the colours, not coincidentally of the flag of Ukraine

Well and truly done! Now to eat ALL the things

29 Likes

Great job to all the riders who participated and raised money for DPF!

I did the tour this year in nuclear mode and boy was I paying for it for the last hour…holy moley I had to pull out all the tricks to maintain power, shifting up and down to change cadence, standing up in big gears, and just plain nose on the stem grunting with effort. At one point I was seeing shapes in the sweat drops on the top tube…I swear once I saw a goats head with laser beams coming out of it!

13 Likes

Grateful for the community here to see me through the Tour. Done and dusted and looking forward to more in the future. The messages in Blender kept me going - very grateful :pray:t3::ukraine::goat:

17 Likes