TOS Stage 3 - OPEN! - Official Thread

A small piece of me dies every time somebody suggests using erg mode for Fight Club. The Old School really does seem to be hanging on by a thread these days :sweat::older_man: [Looking at @David.McQuillen.KoS to set a good example today… :eyes:]

6 Likes

I hear you. But the tour is crazy enough without running the risk of overshooting your targets.
For me, the less experienced, the timing is not right to go for level mode. Just my two cents.

On a regular day, I have fun experimenting with ”the good old days“. :slight_smile:
But you‘re right I, nay we, should do it more ofter…

1 Like

You say that like targets are better/safer than Old School. Much to learn you have young padawan :wink:

5 Likes

And those of us on dumb trainers have no choice …

I actually love the feeling of shifting to the right gear and hitting the right cadence and seeing the reported power dial in to the target.

It’s like my super power :grinning:

9 Likes

I do.

I blame Sir Mac :wink:. (Just kidding, I blame myself)

https://support.thesufferfest.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015061359-Erg-or-Level-mode-

@rinaf : Hopefully these two articles help you make an informed decision.

1 Like

I know, shan’t talk about it. But I agree with you Sir David. I like Fight Club too. One reason is the perhaps I am really attacker/pursuiter at heart and can do these little devastating peak efforts out of a threshold base. The other reason is that whenever I see the action like this, I imagine myself at that NEXT race pulling out those and leaving the pack in the dust. It’s like knowing I can do this. Needless to say, it never quite transcribes to a real life. Not getting dropped sucks all the explosive power out of me, so I usually leave one of those for the finish line, with varying results. That’s how much I have in me :joy: :rofl:

But one day. One day.

It also reminds me how badass these women really are. How women cycling is always an amazing drama, great racing and how much heart is always left on the road (and dirt, and track). It’s inspirational, makes you forget all those doubts about what you can achieve. It’s kinda emotional (I’m such a softie). They mean business.

Basically I wanted to say we need more of those. In the real life, and in Sufferfest.

There. Stage 3 :heavy_check_mark:

7 Likes

First Fight Club for me this evening and it’s definitely one I now like. Certainly a better experience than yesterday

2 Likes

Just a reminder that all SUF knights need to do BOTH the current and vintage versions.

That is all.

:grin:

(I do realize I just set myself up for a very bad decision)

1 Like

Knocked down, but not knocked out. Stage complete! I guess this is what Rocky felt like in Rocky I.

3 Likes

I’ve done almost every workout on an old dumb trainer and had to do all my shifting manually. Sometimes I miss that and sometimes I don’t. There’s been a few times that I missed a target change because I was too busy chewing stem. I never miss those on erg mode! :laughing: But I always recommend everyone try both. You never know who you’ll convert to either way. :slight_smile:

So, that means I’ll do the new Fight Club on erg and the Vintage on level. :grin:

2 Likes

I have now missed all three of these first dayz of the TdS…but for good reason. The snow and trails are just too darn pristine right now and conditions near perfect to ride indoors and miss these bluebird conditions riding the Fat. There are just some times when one has to call an audible.

I have a strange feeling that Fight Club was a bit like a rest day - what’s the world coming to? Then again I got hit hard in round 2, or was it round 3? …anyway the main benefit being that my resulting amnesia will be very beneficial for tomorrow :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I will be riding ERG today. Mostly because I will have boxing gloves on and shifting gears ya know would be tough.

7 Likes

I rode FC in Erg this morning. So that I wouldn’t sand bag. Was very effective. I still used my gears to make sure I get the MAP and AC attacks though. Do we call this quasi level mode? My trainer is also excellent at nailing the fast attacks which helps. But yes, agree lvl mode is the way to go when not fragged by Stage 1 and 2

1 Like

This was on the Tour, 3 years ago, 2018. That was the last time I’d done it. Now I remember why… Ack… that was rough, brutal and painful. Kept my lunch down though, so I’ve got that going for me. #NoBucketsHere.

2 Likes

I made it through on nuclear. That was brutal. Thankfully I kept getting big gooey drips of snot to distract me from all the pain. :pray:

I didn’t sleep well last night and I think the last two days are catching up to me. I planning on a rest day after tomorrow.

2 Likes

Got through Fight Club, but I just couldn’t make the high cadence targets in the time trial sections. Probably the result of my suffering through 9H. I hope it still “counts.”

The brain was telling the legs to spin faster, but the legs were still mad about yesterday and did not respond.

EFM

3 Likes

Stage 3 is in the books. I wasn’t looking forward to it (bad memories from last year), but it was a KO for me! Level mode for the win–I like old school and RPE. Keep fighting, everyone!

10 Likes

Done and dusted. Felt good. Bring on stage 4!

2 Likes

That was super hard. I felt better this morning when I woke up than yesterday – a good sign. Rode into work and that felt ok so was feeling rather confident about Stage 3. It was brutal – and there was some serious self-doubt heading into the last interval (the lack of recovery twice during an erg mode failure didn’t help), but I got through it way better than 9H. A very short back in GLORY and soon I shall wallow in fear of tomorrow. HIE is going to be rough and GOAT a real slog, I think. Time to recover, fuel up and get ready for it!

7 Likes