Violator for "sprinters" is far worse than full frontal

I don’t think I’ve ever done the mini Blender.

Wait, no, I just checked and it looks like I did in June last year. It doesn’t seemed to have made an imprint in my brain. So I can’t say. I think it was a bit easier, but other than that, I can’t really remember enough to say.

That is the version of Blender that is on the Century plan.

I wish (and I have posted a feature request) that they would tell you in the workout description in what plans it is used.

1 Like

Hold up! I’m a 140# female, 5’6". Does that mean my Sprinter status is b/c “I’m Big”. Dangit those doughnuts! And… I sort of completed Violator today, and couldn’t hit the targets in a sustained sprint, but could at least hit some of the targets at some point during the 5, 10 or 15 second efforts.
Does that count?

Here I am on my NEW BIKE DAY a few weeks ago.

12 Likes

Ha. Absolutely not, it just means you are a better trained athlete than me.

My sprint is only about 1150w. It should be closer to 1800w. But I am a sprinter because my ftp is embarrassingly low.

Martin

2 Likes

Please can anyone suggest an alternative to Violator ?? I accept Recharger probably won’t hit the same targets! :joy:

1 Like

I can confirm that Violator violated me. It was my first ride back after a planned light/recovery week in the 100m plan. Today, I had DOMS in my hamstrings - first time I’ve ever had it in my hamstrings. I did crescendo today as the planned ride, and my heart rate was supposed to be mid zone 2, it was mid/high zone three and it looked like I had a leaky water bottle on the floor.

Thank goodness tomorrow is a rest day.

(grumble grumble bah humbug violator grumble grumble never again grumble violator grumble grumble I’ll beat you next time violator grumble grumble)

Martin

2 Likes

@Teresa_Dray Sorry - there is no substitution.

Even the Badass have Bad Days

3 Likes

Hearing you all talk up Violator makes me want to ride it so bad! I see that I have not ridden Violator in over a year, which is sure sign I did not excel at it.

Especially after having my worst FF performance ever on Sunday, where I regressed from “Positive self-talk” to “Negative self-talk” into a version of “spit-cursing”, with the sentence “I hope to never ride FF again, as it is clearly the worst ride ever”. After that FF experience, surely Violator will seem like…fun…

And I am like @Fezzek, in that I think I am classified as a “sprinter” because my ftp is abysmally low!

Once my HRV returns to normal, I am riding Violator just to see how it compares to FF for my rider type.

1 Like

What about Half is Easy? I mean, look at all those recovery intervals. It’s always a fun time. Now, it’s only 36 minutes though so you should probably do a third set :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You sure?

Here’s one for you then…

• First set from Do As You Told
  • Second set from Downward Spiral
  • First set from The Shovel
  • Second and third set from Violator

I call it “Do The Downward Shovelator” :hamster:

9 Likes

What about Kitchen Sink? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@JamesT Whoa - never-mind.

2 Likes

@JamesT pure evil :man_supervillain:

everyone has their own personal hardest workouts, i think it’s all about the strengths and weaknesses as people have said as well as preference. And paradoxically, sometimes a “strength” makes it harder because you have harder targets to hit–makes perfect sense taht Violator would be hardest for someone who has a strong sprint relative to FTP (because the repletion of the ATP/CP and anaerobic battery that you drain a little bit each time is an aerobic process).

For me, Violator is not that bad. I think it’s because my 5 second is weak in comparison to other metrics. Like on my best day it’s a struggle to crack 1,000 watts, whereas i can hold close to 600 for the minute and higher than that if it’s a fresh minute. So weak neuromuscular = low targets for violator, plus strong anaerobic stores to keep drawing from. It doesn’t really get bad until the longer sprints at the end.

On the other hand, The Trick is the one that i look forward to with dread . . .

3 Likes

Sprinting has always been my relative strength on the road, albeit decreasing as I age. However an all out sprint drains a lot of my energy. For example, my max 5 min on FF after the 2 sprints, even with the recovery time, is well below my max 5 min on the half monty following the steady ramp build up.
Hence I cannot fully complete the sprint based workouts. In contrast, I find revolver easy and often add extra intervals or up the intensity.

3 Likes

I was violated by violator too.
I think it was the combined effect of simultaneously hitting new HR highs, feeling red hot pokers in the legs and being close to hyperventilating. Pretty unpleasant really but to be honest, I don’t actually remember much of the whole thing.

I did SUFIdol last night and that hit some of the same limits on simply just getting oxygen in. The efforts are very hard but I was often only just done with gasping for breath by the time the next sprint is in final countdown. At least the whole thing was over faster.

AC is usually my strongest (been attacker and climber) & VO2 weakness in 4DP. Perhaps ought to be better suited to these type of sessions but think the 4DP adjusts for that strength and just makes it harder since having to target higher numbers.

just done Violator on the back end of a 3 day block which already had a AVDP and Cobbler.

It was not enjoyable - hit the targets but at the end I thought my legs were going to explode :joy:

1 Like

It’s one of the ironies of SUF. It adjusts power targets to meet your relative strengths. But since the fatigue impact of sprints increases literally exponentially as power level goes up, sprinters actually get hurt worse than non-sprinters from SUF sprint sessions. I don’t often do sprint sessions on SUF (train your weaknesses, race your strengths) but the last time I did Violator, I ended up with an intensity factor of something absurd like 1.33. This is possible only because of the way that intensity factor is calculated. You couldn’t get an IF of 1.33 on a steady-state session. And doing Violator is the only time I have ever cramped out of a session. I sometimes cramp up, but it’s usually at night in bed.

3 Likes

@Glen.Coutts I made that mistake! I thought hey I’m an attacker this should be some what easy for me…ummmmmm…its a capacity workout, its not easy for anyone! I absolutely died during it.! then got off and it activated racers cough for the rest of the evening. I would say that 1/2 is easy is probably about as close as your going to get to violator.

4 Likes

@devolikewhoa I complete agree with you. My sprint is nothing amazing to watch but its also not abysmal neither however having a fairly strong AC violator tends to start fair enough but I think I really start to feel it by the last two intervals in the second set. That last set those tends to feel like its ascending instead of descending as it does.

The trick is pure agony! (need to listen Breaking Benjamins Dear Agony for this one) You start out like ok four intervals I got this, No Problem! you finish number 4 and your legs are just F$%^ screaming. Then its like oh wait we still have sustain interval to do. Pure tenacity is what it takes to get through the trick.

3 Likes