Violator for "sprinters" is far worse than full frontal

I’ll admit, I had “snot face” after violator.

I did the trick today, and the 4x1min intervals at 500w+ were truly horrendous. These new numbers are killing me. I wasn’t confident that I was improving, over the past 3 weeks given I was failing almost every session. But today I hit a new PB on 1 minute power, up 19w from my previous best in my full frontal on the 21st March.

Despite the poor performance and suffering, maybe it is working!

Martin

3 Likes

There was one joyous stage in the Tour of Sufferlandria with Revolver+Revolver Is Easy+Half is Easy. GvA had a great laugh with that one :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Was there not one year it was half is easy, revolver and violator - 2015 :thinking:

Correct. 2015 Stage 8 was Revolver + Violator + Half is Easy. The Dame Alissa Memorial Stage. ISLAGIATT for Stage 9. I missed that one as 2016 was my first ToS.

2 Likes

Man. I haven’t been using the Sufferfest much lately other than strength and yoga–for winter base i do my own progression of volume, tempo and threshold intervals, and it’s easier to track a progression of time in zone and load when you customize the workouts yourself vs. using the pre-built ones.

however, reading through this thread i am missing the videos pretty bad. Can’t wait to slam another 4DP and get back into it before my next MAP or anaerobic capacity block.

2 Likes

Amazing @JamesT !

Dumb question: How do you ‘chain’ the workouts like that so it is in a single session? This is a smorgasbord of pain shakes!

Nothing clever in this instance, just play the appropriate intervals from each individual workout. The graph I posted was the data recorded by my Wattbike computer for the whole session, no stitching required.

The clever way would be to bundle them all up as a custom SUF mashup but we can’t do that today

3 Likes

I loved that stage - I was a mountain biker back then - pretty sure as a long distance triathlete I would be considerably less enjoyable😂

1 Like

Great, makes sense, thanks for the explanation Sir @JamesT.

I rode Violator and I learned a lot thanks to the comments in this thread.

Much like @Fezzek I did not hit the > 800 W 5-10-15 second sprints either. My reason was due to a mix of not understanding the required gearing/cadence required to hit the peak, and because it was way too hard to hit and have a hope of recovering probably for the reason that @devolikewhoa stated concerning having a strong sprint compared to ftp. I figured out the gearing/cadence as the ride progressed. And then I started to realize the difference between peak watts hit and the sustained watts for the interval as @Nivada pointed out.

I peaked at the mid-600 Watts for the ride. Looking at the chart, I see I skipped 2 of the really close together intervals altogether.

My conclusion is that Violator is a hard ride, if you know how to ride it. And @JamesT advice “bang=sprint…screech=stop” should be listed in Violator’s (and HIE’s) description.

I wonder if I hit 200W less on the FF sprint, if I would perform more truly on the 5 minute and 20 minute sections?

1 Like

Just did Violator for the first time. I made it to the end and generally hit or exceeded targets, but had to sit out a couple surges in the second and third sets when my legs refused to obey my brain’s command to pedal harder. That’s leaving out the fact that the rapid fire Intervals in the last set totally confused my effort-addled body and I ended up doing the surges during the recoveries and visa-versa until I sat one out.

I think this was the most painful workout I’ve done in my 6 months on SYSTM/SUF. Next time, I’ll be sure to spend more time in a state of dread in anticipation.

4 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: The very first time I did this was pre-app in mid December 2015 and for the entire 3rd set I was riddled with cramps. Violator never fails to do its job. :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

I just did Violator for the first time in a long time. I’d forgotten how nasty that last block is! Barely time to slow down before you’re sprinting again!

5 Likes

That is not how you do Full Frontal. Never go a little bit easier in any section, ever. That is the start of Couchlandrian tendencies, and that is not a road you want to travel…

6 Likes

Yesterday I did the violator for the second time in 5 weeks. never again :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Of all the workouts in the SYSTM library, Violator must be the best at being the worst. It’s truly awful, especially if you ignore power targets and just flatten yourself every interval.

There’s probably a good reason why I’ve done it the least number of times of the workouts I have done. My legs hurt.

4 Likes

That’s what I did. I was in level mode and for the short intervals didn’t really know any other way to do them. I guess I could have tried less, but where’s the fun in that?

1 Like

I did it in the little ring in November (because my big ring was broken - long story) I don’t know if that was better or worse… It still hurt… A lot… Still hurts… lol

2 Likes