What kind of fan do you use?

I just have that basic 20 inch Lasko floor fan and it blasts the air, as well as being really loud. That’s the only drawback.

That’s the truth. I look forward to the winter when all I need to do is open a window :rofl: :cold_face:

I’ve tried to avoid fans since my last one got on a train and was never seen again :wolf:

3 Likes

Let this be a lesson. If you leave your fan running, then you better prepare to catch it. ba-dam-pischhh

5 Likes

I use one of these on the floor alongside the right side of my handlebars, pointed up so it hits my legs, chest and face.
On the other side I have a tower fan, on a stand so it is right alongside me pointed at just my chest and head.

Box fan goes on at max before I get on the bike, tower fan I can fiddle with as needed during the ride.

Annoyingly, a day after I bought the box fan, Black and Decker released a remote control model, which would be perfect.

I don’t really struggle with heat, I grew up with a lot of exercise in some very hot climates, but…

I started doing Sufferfest without a fan, or with a small fan badly placed. I would finish sessions drenched in sweat, not over-heated or dehydrating, but covered in sweat.
I moved the fan I had higher and closer, which immediately helped a lot and then I got a 20" box fan too, which I have on the floor next to me and pointing up at me. Now, even on long and strenuous sessions I can finish completely sweat free.

Even if you feel you don’t need a fan, they do help and in staying cool you can keep your heart rate lower and your performance level up, which is what we all want, right? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If it’s not within arms reach, a remote is crucial. I like the Lasko 20" Wind Tunnel W Remote. Crank it up after you get warmed up

Amazon.com: B-Air FIRTANA-20X High Velocity Electric Industrial and Home Floor Fan, 20": Home & Kitchen

Two of these fans; they are great. I usually only need 1 of them and run it on low. It is about 2 feet in front of my face. My trainer is in the unheated garage and I do training rides pretty much in the winter, so that helps too!

As far as “need” goes - I definitely need one, even in the winter. I’ve never left the fan off except on a Z2 or recovery spin on a cold day.

I use one of these:

It’s designed to dry carpets, so moves quite a bit of air. I find it better than a fan, but you need to position it well to get the benefit as the air stream is fairly narrow.

1 Like

I use the same Vacmaster. Very happy with it.
There’s a coupon for it, available on one of our competitors forums. Shameful copy paste: trainerroad10

Aside from the Vacmaster, which is in front of my front wheel on the floor, I also have a smaller Honeywell HT-900E, which is pointed towards my face.

1 Like

While riding in my garage or inside, I find I need at least something pushing air past me. Even a small breeze is better than none, even when it’s only 40F.

I have 20" Walmart store-brand fan I bought in May for $39. I rarely ever switch it past the lowest setting which is stronger than the highest setting on my old white 12" fan (see below).

In the winter in my garage and on all my easy recovery rides I still use my old white 12" desk fan that’s probably at least 15 years old. It gives just enough air flow to be comfortable on low. And when it’s cold the high setting still works great. But when it gets warmer I need my new 20" fan.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Vacmaster! I just got one of these and the improvement over my old crappy standing fan from Wilko’s is profound. I used to finish even moderately easy sessions with a puddle of sweat on the floor and a very damp towel covering my handlebars. With the Vacmaster, not a single drop of sweat ended up on my bike or the floor! It also brought my heart rate down by a huge amount — I did The Making of an Hour Record today and my HR didn’t go above the endurance zone.

1 Like

Yep, I use a box fan similar to your 20" one, I’ve put it on a variable resistor with the dial mounted near my bike so I can control how fast it goes without having to move from the saddle.

I’ve got several of the Vacmasters, but find you have to get them so precisely positioned to be effective that they’re not as useful. Brilliant volume of air delivered, but the 20" box fan is just a “point it roughly in the right direction and that’ll do” solution that I went back to.

2 Likes

Glad you like it :slight_smile:

I’ve supplemented mine with their new, more specfic one, the Cardio54, which also has a remote for your bars:

I’m a bit of a sweat monster and the two together just about stop me rusting my headset in a single session :rofl:

2 Likes

I use the Wahoo Headwind. I am very happy with it. It responds to your hearth rate. I wish i have known about it earlier.

I used to have 3 ‘normal’ priced fans in my cave and it was Ok. Than I had this crazy idea to get a Wahoo headwind, still not sure why I thought that I need a fan at that price…but hey what was I wrong! I never looked back once started using it. Linked with my HR monitor it is simply a game changer! The other 3 fans are on the attic now, the headwind replaces them all with ease. Best invested money in years!
Sorry don’t want to sound like a commercial but this thing simply convinced me :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s posts. I had hoped that there was a thread on fans. My current fan is a piece of….now looking at the Lasko. :+1:t3:

Any recommendations for fans in UK or Ireland that are fairly reasonable in price

I ordered the Honeywell HT 900E from Amazon UK. Its small with a good flow of air. I seem to remember reading good things about training with the big floor fan available from Screwfix.
I’ve commandeered a corner of the kitchen to be my pain cave so finding a small and quiet fan were the key criteria. If I had more room I would go for two big floor fans for as much air flow as possible.

1 Like