What kind of fan do you use?

Thanks Martin, I think I know the screwfix one you are talking about, they are all out of stock. I will have a look atthe other one

I have this one:

I got mine from CPC (same group as a Farnell but CPC don’t stock it anymore - odd!) for similar money in early 2020. Website is showing 1 in stock at the moment. Was an excellent upgrade from a smaller fan.

1 Like

Look at the Cleva fan I posted in this thread a short while ago - pushes lots of air, has a remote control and is robust. I have that plus the old one and love them both.

Thanks Andy, it’s a little bit out of my price range at the minute but it looks good.

1 Like

I only use Italian fans, called Tifosi, which has really helped to push myself to the limit in hard workouts. Recommended! :+1:

2 Likes

Just reviving this thread to say that I bought a Cardio 54 fan a few days ago and compared to the large pedestal fan I was previously using it is fantastic.

If anything I need to adjust the position a bit so I don’t get the full blast from it. Yesterday I did Standing Starts and Recharger (@ 110%), neither are particularly taxing but I was MUCH more comfortable. Never had the fan above it’s lowest setting and turned it off a few times because I was getting cold!

I’ve got Team Scream lined up for tomorrow so that will be a good test for the fan - and me!

In the meantime, for the UK at least the Cardio 54 is in the Cleva Black Friday sale, plus if you sign up for the newsletter you get an extra 10% off your first order. It cost me £72 including delivery. Now that I have it, that price seems like a bargain.

2 Likes

I used to use a Lasko box fan, which did very well when positioned and aimed optimally. I’ve since switched to two small axial fans, the Honeywell HT-900, which I got for ~$13 each. I use one down low just in front of my front wheel and one down low beside me. These individually don’t have huge output, but I find the combination to work very well for me. I got a cheap AC outlet remote (BN-Link Remote) so I can turn each on/off while riding. I’ll start with no fan, then turn on the front fan, then the side.

Oh, thanks for bumping this. A year ago I intended to pick exactly this up in the BF sale. Then I forgot.
So I made a mental note to do the same this year (my existing fan was fine for the time being). Then I forgot.

Brilliant.

1 Like

I use 2x Honeywell HT900E4. It’s quite cheap and has a good airflow.
Similar to @JohnK I put one down in front of the front wheel and the other one on the table where I have a my monitor facing somehow to my chest and face at lower speed.

Just did the HM two days ago and I had almost no sweat on the body (of course the bibs and sweat bands were the opposite :D)

I use this tiny little fan. Very happy with it.

XtremepowerUS 24" Industrial Fan High-Velocity Flow Floor Fan Rolling Drum Shop Fan Garage Adjustable Speed With Wheel, Black https://a.co/d/47S23UN

This type of directional Lasko fan is really effective. The draft doesn’t disperse, the way a box fan does.

You can take it to the next level, by adding one of those remotes to your extension cord. I like to get warmed up before turning it on, and that avoids the whole mount/dismount routine.

2 Likes

I got my Vacmaster Cardio54 delivered yesterday. First trial this morning- it nearly blew me off my bike!

I’ve been using an old desktop fan placed just in front of me. I can’t have the new one in the same spot - the lowest setting must be 2x the strongest setting I had before (which never felt too bad). That close is too much. Champagne problems.

2 Likes

@leebo glad you’re pleased with it.

I had exactly the same issue as you, the cardio 54 is now much further away than the old fan! I’ve got it standing on top an old loudspeaker stand I already had with a bit of 2"x1" under the back feet to set the angle a bit less than 45 degrees. It’s taken me a few rides and a bit of experimenting but I’m very happy with the current position.

By the way, I had an issue with the “III” button on the remote control with mine. Got in touch with Cleva customer services and they had it sorted out within a couple of days. Very friendly and very efficient.

I also have the Lasko, and have used it for many years. Originally suggested from a Trainer Road article if I recall. @nnovod pretty much summed it up. Added an Alexa smart switch to give it more flexibility. Otherwise for the price it can’t be beat. The two extra outlets are also very useful.

Would like a Headwind at some point, but it still seems overpriced, even when it was recently on sale.

Good tip thanks. I at least managed not to break it on the first outing. Use number 2 however maybe a different matter…

I use an alexa plug for this - set the fan to max in summer, min in winter, and when I start to feel the sweat, I just tell alexa to turn it on.

1 Like

Yeah. I find I need to put fans like that 8+ feet away to get enough coverage. Certainly not a bad thing if you have the room. I do use a wireless remote outlets for my fan(s), etc. I use the following which does three outlets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NASZ0UM

I have a wireless remote with 6 buttons. One for my trainer. One for my fan. 4 more for future expansion.

I wouldn’t trust my family or myself with an Alexa outlet. Either I wouldn’t be able to get the words out, or she wouldn’t recognize my voice, or my kids would run in and tell her to turn off. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

plus 1 on the lasko.

2022-12-13T22:00:00Z
I have Wahoo Headwind and very happy with it
https://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/indoor-cycling/accessories/kickr-headwind-buy-eu

BR Jouni