What Was Your First Sufferfest Video?

Total newbie here.

My first Sufferfest video was High Time - December 21, 2023.

Then, the Full Frontal Prep plan (Recharger, Cadence Builds, Tapers, Primers) and Full Frontal. Been thoroughly enjoying the Sufferfest videos ever since. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

My first Sufferfest video was Igniter in November 20. Iā€™d been hearing about Sufferfest from my brother, @robyork , since he started and was intrigued by its humor. Apparently you need to be able to ride faster than a bear can sprint?I rode my first 4dP in Feb 21 and went into the 21 TOS with new numbers. I have very vivid memories of Cobbler.

Actually, no, my memories are a blurred misery. That might have been my first low cadence grind. I was not a fan.

10 Likes

A few months into the pandemic, June of 2020, I convinced my spouse to get me a Wahoo KICKR Snap for my birthday. She was convinced that I would use it a few times and then abandon it, but she had a friend who owns a bike shop and was able to sell her the Snap even in that wild era of supply shock. Because of the Wahoo trial offer, I gave The Sufferfest a try. First workout: G.O A.T. I donā€™t know why I tried that. My only notes for that were ā€œfirst time on app.ā€

I only completed about half of it or less, but the capability seemed great, and the app well done. Two days later I did Full Frontal to give the app better data to go on, then loaded the Fitness Kickstarter plan, and off I went. A year later, I purchased a KICKR v5, and GOAT is still one of my faves!

10 Likes

Jan 2013. Thatā€™s scaryā€¦ before that it was following the green Sufferfest blocks on TrainerRoad.

4 Likes

I randomly discovered GCN on YouTube after my dad gave me his bike (when he could no longer ride it) in 2017 and I started looking for cycling and triathlon tips. Sometime in 2017 or 2018 they began randomly promoting The Sufferfest (prob because of the new app) and had Sir Neal on a few times, including when Dan Lloyd used it to get back into shape to see how much improvement he could make in his 4DP. I had tried Zwift in 2019, but didnā€™t enjoy it on my dumb trainer. The name scared me, and I wasnā€™t a fan (at the time) of real cycling footage to ride along to. So in March 2020 during lockdowns I gave The Sufferfest a shot. And Iā€™ve never left. I was so wrong about how I thought the app worked and how the cycling footage was actually used. It was thousands times better than I expected.

6 Likes

Just looked back through my emails to see what was my first purchase and seems it was the Suffer 10 pack bundle on 13/7/2012. What the SUF was I thinking!? All on the basis of the completely hilarious website.

Pretty sure I rode revolver first - it was the shortest after all. On a pretty basic spin bike.

7 Likes

What was the Individual Version?

1 Like

They used to offer a studio licenses for playing for a group.

3 Likes

Same here, but just before the first Tour of Sufferlandria. Did them blind on Trainer Road. HHNF on January 26, 2013

2 Likes

Revolver was my first. Discovered Suf through Strava when they were doing the videos for a bit, and have spent many an (un)happy hour on the turbo since.

4 Likes

I go back to the download days. Revolver was my first Sufferfest video.

Itā€™s still one of my favorite workouts.

4 Likes

Full Frontal 01 DEC 2020, baptism by fire! They said it would be funā€¦

5 Likes

You did FF FIRST? @DameCristy you wild thing you!

5 Likes

Hmmm, I guess technically my FIRST would be from the DVD a buddy loaned me back in the day that had AVDP and HHNF on it, as I recall. Maybe another one, but I donā€™t remember. And I couldnā€™t tell you which video I watched first, though I DO remember I was on rollers in my garage in Bavaria at the time.

For the streaming version, apparently my first week in SUFF I did:

1. Elements of Style
  2. Getting Away with It
  3. Half Monty
  4. Joyride
  5. Who Dares

Also x2 Abiā€™s and a GCN workout.

2 Likes

You found Rubber Glove? Sufferlandrian archives approves your historical research, Sir!

But has anyone recovered Chrysalis? :thinking:

#holygrail
#bigfoot
#lochness

3 Likes

Another crazy person!

3 Likes

Also started on a Snap. :+1:

3 Likes

I was actually first considering a Snap, as well. I was still using a $20 second-hand 10+ year old dumb trainer. I considered getting power pedals. Then my dad offered to help me buy a new trainer, so I was considering having my dad help buy the Snap while I bought my pedals. But supply chains were terrible and shops were closed. So I ended up deciding to get the Kickr Core instead and not bothering with power pedals. Turns out that was a pretty good idea since I still havenā€™t ridden outside since then, but have ridden around 10k km per year inside. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You need to start a ā€œwhat was your first trainerā€ thread.

5 Likes

October 2020 wanted something more interesting than the at-home recumbent and had seen the Sufferfest mentioned on the Wahoo pages (I hadā€“and still haveā€“a TICKR). Got a Direto XR and loaded up the ā€œgive SUF a tryā€ 14-day trial, which had Elements of Style, then Joyride, then the Half Monty. Best thing I ever did, even though I only have 7 slow twitch fibers in my entire body.

5 Likes