What's the life of an HRM?

I just bought a Magene HRM 3 weeks ago. So far so good, but let’s see how it ages. At least, the strap seems much better than other low cost brands.

What I can tell you is do not by a Coospo HRM. They start failing after one month or so. I personally bought one, started failing, Amazon sent a new one cost free, started failing three weeks after, they sent me another one and it also died so I finally got the refund and bought the Magene to see how it goes.

Before that I had the decathlon one and it lasted like 1 year and a half. My brother-in-law has being using it for two years now and no issue.

I use the Garmin Dual for outdoors and the lowcosts for indoors. My feeling is that it has more to do with the sweat indoors than any other thing. We sweat much more indoors and sweat is very corrosive. The ones I have use exclusivily outdoors had a longer life.

1 Like

My Tickr V1 is still going strong after nearly 3 years of almost day use. Its on its 3rd battery and the sensor pads started delaminating from the fabric strap at the start of this year, by the start of summer I’d replaced it with a generic strap purchased from Amazon. Because the generic strap has a separate clasp and doesn’t rely on undoing the snap fasteners to take it on and off, I think it will last a lot longer.

As well as the contact pads delaminating, I noticed that the snap fasteners on the original strap were significantly worn to the point of wearing through the multi-layer plating and were visibly corroded. I wondered why a contact designed to be used in such a corrosive environment was not gold plated?

1 Like

The back part where the snaps are is not affected by the repair. It’s water resistance will depend on how good the repair is though :slight_smile:

Gold is soft, with the constant snapping on/off with the original strap design the plating would have worn away in no time

This is something which is quuestionable at best :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s good to hear. I might consider that in the time to come if my HRM does go bust one day.

Actually I was considering getting the decathlon one when my first strap broke. In fact, I would have bought it if that decathlon store near where I live had it in stock that time, but it was mainly for the strap and not so much of the transmitter itself.

I was having TICKR connectivity issues and got rid of them. I now rinse my HR strap and TICKR after every workout and dry the TICKR with a towel. Every 3rd time or so, I will hand wash the strap with mild soap and rinse thoroughly. Basically, I am diligent to keep it clean and free of salts when not in use.

I also reset the TICKR. Take the battery out, flip it over, put the cover on for 5 seconds, flip the battery over again and close the cover.

I did check for wifi conflicts, but didn’t have any.

While I was initially troubleshooting the TICKR I bought a generic chest strap to test. While the generic strap works fine, I think the Wahoo strap is easier to connect. I also like the texture of the Wahoo strap contact pads versus the smooth pads on the generic strap.

2 Likes

What’s the life of an HRM?

It’s not a good life. You get wrapped around a sweaty body, sometimes tangled in hair. Then a lot of thump-thump-thumping. Sometimes this goes on for hours. Then you get ripped in half, sometimes get a bath, and left alone until until it all starts again.

6 Likes

My first TICKR I bought lasted about 2-3 months when the plastic behind the snap on the strap started to delaminate and come apart. Wahoo replaced the strap. The second strap was still good 6 months later when I bought a TickrX.

My TickrX is still going strong after a year and a half and 1 battery change. It originally came with the flat slick strap, but had some connection issues and Wahoo gave me a new sensor with an older style strap with rougher pads. This one has been good for me now for a year and a half.

I never rinse the strap. I’ve never washed or rinsed it ever. It doesn’t bother me. And it doesn’t smell either. I don’t want to mess with it. It has a hard enough life being strapped to my chest and soaked in sweat in a hot pain cave 6 days a week. :smile:

None of my sensors seem to have had a problem. It’s always been the straps.

1 Like

my garmin hrm stopped working. i revived it with this https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B07GGQVGGB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

the connectors are the same. its usually the strap that stops working imho because of sweat/salt i think

1 Like

Thanks for the link! I will look into getting another strap soon I guess before it snaps again.
So far, my HRMs are working just fine, it’s the just the strap which has snapped once, but blessed be that strap as I was using it since what, 2014 and it finally gave up on me 2 years ago. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just to add my perspective…
I used the Wahoo TICKR straps way back when Strava originally provided HR connection without a premium membership. Got one for my wife also, for same reason. Worked fine.
Then Strava eliminated HR connections from the free membership. :frowning: I was very angry at the loss of HR data on Strava rides. Eventually subscribed to paid membership after a LOT of griping. Not too much longer and was having issues with the old-style TICKR BELTS. Plastic sandwiched connector points were coming apart. Did some super-glue repairs that held awhile… Finally had one failure of the TICKR receiver unit itself, out of warranty. Wife lost her HR recording (which she rarely used anyway. Found it a bother.)
Then I got a Garmin Edge 830 MTB Bundle with HR and wheel sensor (or cadence, I forget which; and I purchased the other separately to have both.)
Retired the Wahoo TICKR, with it’s imperfectly designed snap-type ends that came apart after a LOT of time and miles. But the STRAP ITSELF, which like emacdoug I basically NEVER washed nor saw a need, was a FABULOUS material that NEVER CHAFED ME, was super comfortable, and didn’t present any problems EXCEPT that plastic sandwich snap connection on the ends, which DID come apart on both belts after a long time (~3years? 4years??)

The GARMIN Dual HR, on the other hand, was treated the same way as the TICKR, no washes or rinses (my fault, the instructions say rinse every use and wash every 7 uses.)
It was a problem in a hurry! I got VERY CHAFED by about 2 weeks of use, on both outer sides of my chest, where the sensing section of the strap ended and the stretchy fabric point began and the opposite side slip-hook connection is made.

I quickly learned those straps MUST be rinsed daily, hung to dry, and washed about every week if used daily. I adapted and the rash issues cleared up.

PROBLEM IS, the Garmin straps are made with a MUCH THINNER material, and it is in my opinion, a poor strap design and material.
Maybe I’m weirdly shaped, I don’t know, but my ribs must by very angular and cause the strap to stretch more on the upper side than the lower because these straps begin fraying within 6 months use, always on the upper side of the strap relative to how it sits on my chest, and always right on the edge as it wraps around the side of my ribs. That’s where my V-shaped chest is more pronounced, I guess. (Trust me, I’m NO Charles Atlas physique. :rofl:)
Garmin was good enough to replace this strap for me once, beyond the 1yr warranty because that was the 2nd time I called and complained about it, though the 1st time went basically ignored, nothing done.)
But the replacement did exactly the same thing in exactly the same way, and it was evident that it was occurring in probably 3 months, but it took about 6 before it really showed the rippled top edge. I haven’t bothered to call about that one because I have no confidence they know how to make a quality strap, at least compared to the material of the OLD-style TICKR strap.

That said, I have READ that the TICKR HR units MAY not be effective for some HRV testing, depending on what site or testing company you may use. Elite HRV, for example, lists the Garmin HRM Dual and HRM Pro among several others as being compatible for R-R intervals readings, though another site, welltory.com does list the Wahoo TICKR X and the Garmin HRM Pro along with many other brands.

I do use the HRV testing function of my HRM Dual on a regular basis, (as well as also using the Fenix 6S Sapphire for HRV monitoring every night, even though it’s probably not all that scientific using the wrist readings of the Fenix 6; though I HAVE seen pretty clear evidence that its nightly readings DO bear out over time a useful-to-me bit of information about significant changes in health status, as I went through a round of pleurisy and pneumonia over more than a month long period, and the HRV status and graphs are very clear showing that serious impact to my health status.)

My thought it that if you do buy an aftermarket (or other brand) strap that connects well to your existing transmitter, you may or may not be able to count on the HRV readings from that combination. (That would matter to me.)

2 Likes

Actually it’s the transmitter that has issues with the TICKR and TICKR X. EliteHRV couldn’t get consistent readings from their testing platform (believe me it’s not a human). I was using a TICKR-X provided by Wahoo as a Sufferfest special and I was beginning to have issues with it. Now I’m on a Garmin Dual and thanks for the note, but I’ve seen nothing about rinsing after every use, but there is a note to wet before use. Also, be careful what you wash it with. NO FABRIC SOFTENERS ever!

This is interesting. My TICKR-X that came as a Sufferfest special has just conked out. The red light flashes for a moment then it dies, and no blue light at all. This is disppointing as I really liked it. I have several other HRMs, including a Garmin that is at least 15 years old for which I have a whole lot of extra straps. The newer Garmin that I have is quite different, with an elaborate strap and the transmitter clicks into it.

1 Like

The Heart Rate Monitor Care Instructions pdf gives the Rinse after every use, Wash after every 7 uses…

They also show this cryptically on the belt strap “flap” that lays between the hook closure point. There’s a little diagram with arrows that shows a runner and a “x7” and a washing machine that supposedly tells you to wash every 7 uses. Who would know? :roll_eyes:

I shower with the strap after a ride, taking it off and rinsing well under shower water, no soap, and hang it over the curtain rod till I get out and hang it near my bike gear.
When I wash the strap (NOT THE TRANSMITTER WITH IT; been there, done that once, very luckily got away with it), I put it into a small mesh bag to at least keep the strap end from getting caught anywhere in the washer tub.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how my original TICKR finally died. Took me awhile to give up on it because I felt it was still trying to connect or something. There was also some routine to follow to get it to repair with a new phone or device. That wasn’t a very clear procedure to follow to get it into the right mode, if I recall correctly.

OK. The flap is cryptic. It shows wetting the contacts but nothing about rinsing. I knew about using a bag though. I have a bunch of Pactimo laundry bags and am going to purchase more when I do my next kit shopping.

Look at the back side of the flap for the 7 day instruction.

I’m aware of what is on the flap. However, there’s nothing about rinsing after use on the flap. On the front there’s a visual for wetting the contact areas (and this should be on EVERY HRM that uses rubber/plastic contacts) and on the reverse is the seven time use wash in a machine (or by hand using a soap like Ivory soap, not something harsh).

The rinse after every use is clearly stated in the link I sent above to the pdf of Heart Rate Monitor Care Instructions, beneath Caring for the HRM-Dual.