What's the life of an HRM?

I understand that, but my comment was directed to the ‘flap’ on the strap itself. I’m not one to read long boring and sometimes useless instructional manuals for a device which natively doesn’t need one.

My first Tickr Fit lasted about 2 and a half years, the Kalenji (Decathlon) HRB500 I replaced it with about 4 months and my second Tickr Fit about 3 months. Sadly the second Tickr Fit was bought brand new from a private seller on eBay so I couldn’t warranty it, but Wahoo have provided me with a 20% off code which I have used on a standard Tickr.

Every time I’ve been without a functioning HRM I’ve borrowed my partner’s Coospo HW807 and I haven’t managed to kill that yet…

1 Like

I’m of the belief that much like ourselves… death for an HRM is inevitable.

2 Likes

In fact recently, I almost bought the Kalenji from Decathlon but decided against it and bought the Magene H603 instead.
So far so good with the Magene having used it for about 2 months+ :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

After three TICKRs crapping out on in within a matter of months, I ordered a PolarH10. Should be here by end of the week. Keeping my fingers crossed this will make it beyond three months!

@Jeffrey It should. Do note to COMPLETELY remove the pod from the strap when not in use, otherwise it may continue to use battery.

3 Likes

I’ve had Wahoos, Garmins and Polars and have found Polars to outlast the rest. After every ride I throughly rinse the strap and pod. It takes a couple of minutes but my Polar H10 has been running for years now, absorbed tons of sweat, and looks like new.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Thanks! I was doing that with the Wahoos so will continue with the Polar.

Scratch my earlier comment, my Polar H10 just arrived. Like a kid on Christmas, think i will break it in even though I’ve already done Tapers this morning in preparation for the Full Monty.

1 Like

Oh, and DCR’s instructions on battery replacement are great: Polar H10 Heart Rate Monitor: Very Long Term In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

Back in Nov 2022 I posted to this thread that I had a 12 year old Garmin Classic HR strap that still worked fine. Now it’s 13 years old and still works fine. That said, I’m now mainly using a Polar Verity Sense optical HRM which I wear on my upper arm. I like it a lot.

I’ve only used Polar heart rate monitors and haven’t had any fail, just upgraded for additional features (i.e., multiple Bluetooth connections, which is still slightly annoying that the most they allow is two max - but a limitation I haven’t really had an issue with, aside from a couple times when it wasn’t strictly necessary).

One thing that is less than obvious about the H10 is that you have to specifically enable the second Bluetooth channel using the app - it is disabled by default. Which is odd, because for me, the main selling point over the cheaper H9 was the second BLE channel. Sure, it can record and store data like the Polar Verity Sense (formerly OH1), but between my watch, apps like SYSTM and FulGaz, and my cycle computers, pretty much every heartbeat is already recorded at least once…

2 Likes

*Full Frontal

1 Like

I wondered if Sir Neal didn’t leave the Company, would the new Half Monty be called Full Monty? :joy:

On the contrary, my one of my Garmin pods actually outlasted the newer one which I had. The strap however is still questionable since the new strap has only been with me for the last 2 years (maybe 3 years) now.

I’ve got a Garmin that is probably 10 years old that would still be my primary HRM if ANT+ were supported on Android. I have three TICKR type HRMs that still work but two are BTLE only. You have to take very good care of them as they are subject to extreme conditions.

1 Like

I will lobby for the name change! It’s appropriate since I feel like doing a Full Monty after completing it.

How is that going to work? Full Frontal first followed by Half Monty with a break of not more than 10 minutes in between both sessions?

1 Like

Day 7 on Polar H10 and wondering why I hadn’t switched earlier. Having the strap between my body and the battery case/computer intuitively is a better design. Now I won’t be concerned with my sweat entering the battery compartment and corroding the contacts as what happened with my 3 TICKRs. Less intuitive however are the two apps, Flow and Beat. Highly recommend the Polar H10 for anyone contemplating a chest strap HRM.

2 Likes