When to do full frontal test?

It says it is only for experienced riders. How do I know when I am experienced enough to do this test?

1 Like

This might help https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021387460

At the end of the day, itā€™s really ā€œjustā€ a workout.

Iā€™m guessing youā€™re ready (not knowing anything at all about you, your experience level, fitness level, tolerance for discomfort of various lengths etc etc, so clearly an ā€œexpertā€ level opinion here :wink: )

In all seriousness, I would def recommend the 7 day prep plan for anyone who hasnā€™t done FF before. It really helps get your head in the game. B

2 Likes

How long have you been using SYSTM for and what sort of sessions have you completed so far?

Ok thanks, I will try it after my next training block ends.

1 Like

I have been using wahoo systm for 2-months now, doing the high volume tempo blocks.

Before that I was on Zwift for 2 years.

We generally suggest giving the full frontal 4DP test a go after 12 weeks of training. You can give the half monty ramp test a go in the meantime

1 Like

With respect @Coach.Andy.T, thatā€™s not what Sir Neal tells us. He says to do it early in the training season to make sure the targets are accurate then at about the 6 week point to do a mid-plan Half Monty, followed by a 2nd Full Frontal at 12 weeks. Unless Iā€™m mistaken and this advice has since changed.

2 Likes

You might want to try a mix of rides as constant Tempo really isnā€™t a great training plan You need to add in some recovery AND some endurance (or you will find that your ā€˜tankā€™ is empty just about the time you finish your normal workout (tempo for an hour and you ride endurance for about 1:15 and you feel drained, Iā€™ve been there).
Give that a full cycle (three or four weeks time) and then go through the Full Frontal Prep week. Youā€™ll be surprised at the gains and where you need to go. Then engage a 12 week plan and repeat until your ā€˜Aā€™ ride. Before that follow a tailored riding plan for what the event entails.

1 Like

Ah, Neal and Mac have told me that for beginners itā€™s best not to dive straight into the Full Frontal especially if you donā€™t have experience riding full gas for 20 minutes. But on a lot of our plans we do theHM 6 weeks in and end with a FF to assess gains

2 Likes

@Coach.Andy.T One thing I always recommend it watching the vlog on how to get the most out of Full Frontal and Half Monty. I also recommend doing a recovery week with what people THINK their FTP is. Itā€™s interesting to find that people tend to dial it down after a few days! Then they can do the prep week for Full Frontal with knowledge what is going into the test.

2 Likes