Curious about 4DP

Hi All,

I’m currently on TrainerRoad + Zwift (on and off) but saw the Wahoo X’s 4DP that gives you a rider type that got me curious. Based on what I see in the threads Full Frontal seems like something you have to prepare for but that’s what gives you 4DP. Is it possible to prepare and take Full Frontal within the trial period of 14 days (if I skip my trainer road and zwift stuff and focus on Wahoo X)?

2 Likes

Hi @Crayonz014 , welcome to the Wahoo X forum!

There is a seven day preparation plan in SYSTM that prepares you for, and then finishes with, Full Frontal. I’d suggest picking the one that has Half Monty part way through - Half Monty is the SYSTM/Wahoo X ramp test. That will give you both MAP (5 minute) and FTP (20 minute) power estimates that can be used as targets in the Full Frontal test at the end of the week.

3 Likes

What Sir @way9e0 said, and welcome!

2 Likes

You can also check out some information about the two tests here:

Full Frontal

Half Monty

3 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely give it a shot this week. Appreciate the advice

3 Likes

Great. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Probably the hardest thing about Full Frontal is getting the pacing right, especially in the 5 minute and 20 minute sections. And then it’s just hard physically as well - max efforts each time!

1 Like

Welcome! So glad you’re here. 4DP will change how you think about yourself and your workouts. Here are a couple episodes of our podcast which I think you’ll find quite useful to have a listen to:

5 Likes

Totally agree. Do the 7 day test plan with Half Monty on day three. The HM sets suggested targets for the Full Frontal on day 7 and makes it much much easier to pace. When I get to the FF, I try to just beat the suggested targets and it’s killer. I believe the 7 day plan gives the most consistent and reliable FF results. Rather than podcasts (I’m not a pod cast devotee) here’s some detailed textual testing information:

1 Like

Yeeeaaahhhh…:grimacing:

1 Like

I did my first FF within my trial subscription. I also suggest you take a look as well at the Mental Training Program during your trial.

2 Likes

I totally agree. After completing, will no longer wonder about your insanity. It’s so liberating to know and to be amongst like-minded individuals.

So go crazy and enjoy doing what sane individuals would never dare attempt to accomplish. The sky’s the limit.

6 Likes

Maybe I am an outlier here but I would suggest skipping the trial and just sign up. I rode ZWIFT for years until it made me want to walk. The 4DP is good although it can be that rare combination of humbling and exhausting. Sometimes we don’t really want “the truth” but prefer to live in a fantasy world. I like SYSTM because it offers variety and mental training as well. The GCN videos is like personalized training and I like the Yoga as well although I probably need to do it more. I do wish they had rowing videos so I could use the system with my rower to compliment the “other stuff” and I wish I could input my outdoor ride data to get a more blended training program. That being said the “paid” coaching sessions are heaven sent and worth the fee alone.

5 Likes

Just completed the Half Monty today and the results was quite in line with my recent race performance around 1.5 weeks ago. So now really looking forward to FF!

6 Likes

When you open SYSTM for the first time you will get some questions to give you a 4DP profile estimate which can then be adjusted manually.

Within your 14 day trial you can absolutely complete the test, i recommend loading this training plan: SYSTM

Here is additional reading to find out more about 4DP:

3 Likes

Strong words! Report back please.

And good luck. Many never make it alive.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Famous last words haha

4 Likes

… said no one ever :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

I got myself a £10 ANT+ dongle and connected my rower to the SYSTM App. I use the 5k effort as my FTP and 2k effort as my MAP and set those as power targets (pace to watts calculator).

All videos with FTP or MAP focus are now suitable for rowing.

Your cadence on-screen will be way off, as that’s now reported as your stroke rate.

2 Likes

If you can put out the same power over 2k on a Concept-II as you can in a 5min MAP effort on the bike. :muscle: Rowing is inherently less efficient 19% vs 23% for cycling according to Sauerstoffverbrauch und Wirkungsgrad beim Rudern | SpringerLink

I managed a 6:40 2k when I was 17rs old and training with the School 1st crew. The pace to watts calculator says that is 350w,which is the same as my cycling MAP now I’m aged 43yrs. I’d love to believe it but there’s now way that I’m still that fit.

Sorry, that wasn’t clear.

You are right, the rowing power is much lower than the cycling power.

What I mean is that the 2k effort on a Concept 2 is my equivalent for MAP. (and the 5k effort on the rower is the equivalent for FTP).

In SYSTM, I dial MAP down to 300W and FTP down to 212W

1 Like