When to rest or scale down your training?

Interesting, thanks

@Glen.Coutts Elite HRV recommends the Polar H10. Apparently the Wahoo sensor doesnā€™t transmit RR intervals to 3rd party apps. I have tried both the TICKR and the H10 and I get better readings with the H10. They are working on a camera sensor where you just put your finger on the camera lens on your mobile phone.

HRV4Training is another app for HRV. It uses the camera to track pulses in the finger. I havenā€™t tried that one but the below study seemed to be positive about that appā€™s capabilities.

2 Likes

Imma pass but thanks for the info and the extra info. Figured if I could use tech I already had and some free apps Iā€™d give it a shot.

Trusting @ozmadman has gotten what he needed out of this thread (apologies for the sidebar :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Yes thanks and info on HRV which I will look I to now. Cheers

1 Like

I think you already knew what you needed to do when posting this topic. Itā€™s important to listen to your body and trust your gut. I think you received some good feedback. A point I didnā€™t see mentionedā€¦ even the pro cyclists take time off away from a bike and structured training. Iā€™m 45 and a life long cyclist, sounds like youā€™ve only been riding a couple years? I think you should just can the training for a bit and just go ride your bike! Training to be fast/strong etc. isnā€™t always fun nor do you need to do it 12 months out of the year! Go have some fun.

3 Likes

Hi P2 pedals have arrived (literally like new so well pleased). I put them on my trainer bike and calibrated them using the calibration on my Bolt. TBH the readings are pretty much the same as the Direto (that is calibrated too) with a difference around 2 to 3 watts up on the pedals. I have power smoothing on Systm and watts/3 secs on the Bolt. the power reacts quicker on the bolt. Some interesting data too on the boltā€¦ L/R Avg% 55/45%ā€¦ Avg L/R% 22/18% and Avg L/R TE% 79/71% I always knew my left leg was doing a lot of the work but that is quite a difference, something to work on it looks like. What is TE though? cheers

A useless feature, other than graph aesthetic. Turning it off improves your ability to see your actual cadence and pedal stroke. FWIW.

TE is torque effectiveness. It measures total forward power as a percent if total power (which is lower because almost no one manages to lift their foot fast enough on the upstroke to avoid pushing the wrong way). Your numbers are good. They suggest that if you want to improve your overall LR balance you should focus on the upstroke of your right leg.

The other numbers which you didnā€™t label are probably Pedal Smoothness. Thatā€™s the ratio of avg power to max power delivered to through your stroke (each side separately). It would be 100% if you were an engine applying uniform power through the full rotation, which is obviously impossible. Your numbers are fine.

Hereā€™s an article.
https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2014/04/torque-effectiveness-and-pedal-smoothness

Edit: I wrote the definition of TE upside down. Take the reciprocal. The correct definition is total power divided by forward power.

1 Like

Thanks for that info, yes it was P/S on the other one, just didnā€™t type it correctly. Good to see my numbers are fine, I am new to all of this stuff but a bit or work on the R/H leg seems like a good idea . cheers