Why do days off destroy my energy levels?

I’m very much a novice cyclist but I’ve noticed something unusual. When I have a day off between rides (as my novice plan indicates) I struggle to get through the next vid. It’s as though my body has forgotten what cycling is. However, if I do two days in a row, I feel as fresh as a daisy. I decided to follow this through and got to day 6 feeling great before my body said ‘time for a break’.

Does this happen for anyone else? How do I avoid that post day off sluggish feeling? Do I need to be doing more hours per week?

As background, I’m generally doing about 6 hours a week on the bike with nothing else fitness wise.

1 Like

Not a coach but you might want to consider trying a recovery spin on those days. Like 45-50% of FTP at an easy cadence 80-85 for about a half hour on those “days off”. I find they help keep my energy up if I am feeling otherwise sluggish on a day off. You might also want to try some of the gentler yoga vids (like Morning Yoga routine, or Shake off the day, I also like Stretching after Suffering). There’s a whole group of Sufferlandrians who have taken to daily yoga (myself included) and I swear that has helped with my energy levels as well as forcing me to commit to something healthy for me each day.

3 Likes

The Recovery Ride in the app is all set for this…plus a little bit of yoga

1 Like

On the grand tours, riders will ride on their rest day just to avoid the symptoms you have mentioned. I feel very sluggish after a day off, even the warm up of the next workout feels uncomfortable.Yet if you ignore the rest days and keep riding, it will grind you down. Perhaps thinking a rest day is really a recovery day, a day to devote to doing what you need to recover will work, As Sir Glen mentions, active recovery me be the thing for you

2 Likes