Why have workouts been made easier in the new Systm app?

@Coach.Neal.H thanks for the comprehensive response. Reassured to know there is good reason for it and not just Sufferfest going soft. Your science has done right by me until now so I’ll continue to trust in it and see how I progress. Thanks.

13 Likes

So in other words… Neal Hendersons workouts were not the best they could have been from the very beginning and now he has had input from others i.e. WAHOO, he has realised the error in his coaching ability?

Rather than realising error, I would say he adapts to current development. Science is not static, what was right 2 years ago is not necessarily the same today. Taking that into accont and making adjustments is a good thing in my opinion (although I belive 9H should have been kept in its original state, and come with a warning to dial down for those afraid to fail).

Chapeau Sir Neal!

24 Likes

Personally I’m glad to see the changes. Dreaded getting new numbers because I knew I wouldn’t be able to finish some of my favourite workouts if my numbers went up. And it does take a toll mentally to be constantly failing to finish sessions.

Has there been a change to HR zones too? I did On Location: Cirque de Gavarnie this evening and the target HR was zone 4 for each of the sections, but I was mostly in zone 2, occasionally 3. Or does this mean I’m due a FF? :open_mouth:

4 Likes

You mean GLORIOUS, yes? :slight_smile:

Apologies, yes indeed.

Hey Dan - welcome to Sufferlandria & thanks for your input :facepunch:

1 Like

Bit of a shame this. I’d use certain workouts as calibration efforts either after an FTP test or before an event. Now I’d just end up second guessing based on the changes.

Oh well, I guess I’ll just make my own workout and use that from now on.

Heh. Sorry, couldn’t resist

1 Like

I can’t wait for this!!! TSS is interesting but CTL doesn’t really tell you how fit you are!!

3 Likes

Isn’t there a workout that’s available to knights in it’s original state?

It’d be cool to have the same for AVDP - no matter how minor the changes, there’s something to be said for having access to the original, even if you have to be part of a secret club to get it.

2 Likes

For years we have been hating, bitching on and cursing sir @Coach.Neal.H for the pain he put us trough. Now he’s like “well, let’s turn it down a bit then” and we’re still not happy. Poor guy.

Don’t worry @Coach.Neal.H, I still hate your guts!

28 Likes

Well it would sure be a change of pace for me to be able to finish the 9H and AVDP. Usually, I am standing on the pedals at 30 rpm trying to ward off the the Spiral of Death on the last intervals. Being able to keep the cadence above 60 would be a welcome relief. I do not anticipate any of the VO2 workouts will disappoint in the ability to deliver suffering.

1 Like

I’ve never finished 9H or AVDP, even when my numbers were increased soon after in a FF or HM. While those workouts are definitely a weakness for me, I will probably get more benefit from doing a workout I can complete, than failing halfway through a workout that’s too hard.

14 Likes

Is it possible to get which ones are original and which ones have changed?
SVP

I would also!!!

@Coach.Neal.H , got the reasoning. I’m an Oldtimer Sufferlandrian and perfer the old 4DP%s for the work out. Is it possible to get a list of what was changed and how to modify back? And of course which stayed the same.
SVP

1 Like

From reading above and doing some Maths…It looks like I am doing Thin Air at 111% with new #s from last week’s Full Frontal to get the actual workout from the original SUFapp… Anyone else confused?
Wish me Luck!!! 111% “it will be fine”

1 Like

Incidentally I’d forgotten that AVDP’s warm-up is Lizzie winning Flanders. After this weekend’s exploits, that (and Cancellera dropping me on the cobbles) was a welcome touch.

In the final sprint of the w/u I hit 150rpm. My current plan has had a good dose of cadence builds which I credit for that. Even 6 months ago anything north of about 125 would have been laughable.

5 Likes

The Hunted made yesterday.
I don’t know if it has been nerfed.

Managed well all effort with HR with a couple of beat minus the lowest threshold of the zone.
Even the lasts surges at high cadence left me like I can give some more (heart well above 100%LT).

Off the bike I felt like Leonidas in “300”.

1 Like