Why have workouts been made easier in the new Systm app?

I thought he dies at the end. Don’t do that, because it would reduce the suffering. And only @Coach.Neal.H is allowed to reduce the suffering because science

5 Likes

Is it just me or is the second sustained effort in Primers (the above FTP one), actually harder??

No no don’t worry sir I’m always here.

The analogy was because I thought Grunter Von Agony was the director.
I’m super happy of my recent improvements.
My team mates are a little less happy.

1 Like

I have just deleted my training plan, and reloaded from Systm. I do not expect to sweat between now and the tour.

1 Like

Well I did do the re-powered AVDP on Tuesday. Previously, I had never finished at full power. Usually started to fail on #3, death spiral for the last 60-90 seconds of #4 and full death spiral at an rpm of 30 standing on the pedals for at least the last half of #5. Always wondered if the workout was doing me any good after interval 3. This time, the tuning was much better. Felt I was going to die at the 4 but made it. Struggled with cadence on 5 from the start but kept going. Had NOTHING for the sprint at the end and crashed. I feel the retune has made this a much better session. Absolutely a maximum effort that I was able to enjoy/suffer to its fullest. BTW, I am working on a 4DP that was 3 weeks ago so the settings should be right on.

9 Likes

@Derekkuhl Same for me on Nine Hammers today. It wasn’t easy by any measure but I actually finished versus falling into the death spiral in hammer #9.

6 Likes

He is the director but not the mad scientist

4 Likes

Yup, completely taken over by coucholandrians, so you’ll not be producing any more holy water whilst following your plan. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Here have some :doughnut::doughnut:

Would it be possible to share the list of the 23(?) rides which have been adjusted, please?

I, like many I suspect, separately record my Ave HR, max HR, time in zones etc for completed rides and reflect on those to compare numbers when a ride is completed again. As long as your 4DP hasn’t changed it’s a meaningful measure of current fitness, so I find it a useful comparison.

I get the logic for adjusting the intensities. Personally I was happy with them and liked having some I couldn’t quite complete - like a real life climb say with 30%+ gradients, where on a bad day you might have to get off and walk and a good day might clean and crest. I’ve never played with percentages as for me that works against the whole relevance of 4DP.

I’d find the list useful just so I know where past data remain relevant and the 23 where I need to restart my data comparison store.

Picky: stating IF to 2dp would be preferable (as before) - with ‘0.9’ say there’s always a concern it a rounded illustration. Make them consistent (all display to 2dp) would be my pref.

I have both the old and new Windows app and compared the changes side by side with TSS and IF. That info seems crucial for those who have certain workouts we always look forward to, or dread. (Which is all of us.) Of course I can’t tell which specific intervals have had the target power lowered or by how much. I’ll post the side by side tonight when home from work.

That being said, I think the changes make sense. Crushing yourself to the point you can’t workout for the next three days isn’t optimal training. I remember screaming trying and failing to complete the 9th hammer and although I failed, it felt like an accomplishment. However it impacted my training for multiple days afterward and thus I skipped a workout - resulting in less fitness than if I hadn’t buried myself. I have real life races for when I want to crush my soul. Just my own thoughts. If you don’t race then it might be a different story. (Also still I don’t think 9 hammers is doable even at the new targets. haha!!!)

4 Likes

HI @CavaliereNero - unfortunately there were hundreds of individual section intensity changes made, and there’s no possible “modification” of any workouts that would revert to the old intensity. My recommendation is to embrace the current changes…as they’ve been made to help you. Just going harder because you could do them before doesn’t mean they were better for you or better sessions. Training effectively is the aggregate of work done over time balanced with rest. Thinking only about maximizing the work done/intensity isn’t what is most useful in training. Happy riding!

19 Likes

Hi @SupaSarge - while we have the list of workouts that have been updated, there are hundreds of segments in those workouts changed, so there is no blanket way to undo those changes or go back to the old. The adjustments were made to improve the effectiveness of every session. Just because you could complete them previously doesn’t mean that they were as beneficial for you as the current updated sessions are. More stress does not guarantee more response or improvement. Also, IF is not an accurate reflection of every workout since for every individual 4DP there is a different IF for a workout because it is exclusively only “calculated” (Estimated?) based on FTP alone…which is not a physiological reality anyhow. I could write 100 different workouts with an IF of 0.9 and none of them would result in the same physiological stress/stress or resultant responses/adaptations. Hope that helps! Happy training, Neal

14 Likes

Thanks Neal

I wasn’t looking to “ undo those changes or go back to the old”

I just wanted to know which rides have been adjusted so I know to start my offline data recording for those rides anew.

cheers,
Giles

2 Likes

Unless I am mistaken, I think the TSS for Nine Hammers went up slightly, and it is been pointed out to me that the last hammer now has a small stair climb in intensity.

The devil is always in the details, and the Nine Hammers devils still reigns. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Heretic I recall the below article on this subject. Seems relevant to Nine Hammers especially given all of the MAP focus:

IF and TSS with 4DP: Everything you need to know

The SYSTM app still displays TSS and IF for all workouts. Even though it’s not an accurate representation of training stress, they can still give you a very rough idea at a glance of how intense a workout is. Just don’t worry if your numbers don’t match up after the session is over. Rest assured, you’ll get the workout you need.

1 Like

I did Fight Club today and it was way too easy. :confused: In the good old Sufferfest era it was tough as hell but this Couchlandrian version is just a walk in the park. I am sure in that the watt target of punches reduced too much… I didn’t hit my LTHR in the whole workout…

AVDP is such a tough workout. I should schedule that one for my next pain session.

1 Like

Hey @Sturm … any chance of the side by side comparisons you mentioned?

I breezed through Shovel this morning. Now I know why. :slight_smile: Actually liked the effectiveness of completing the workout without praying for a flat tire (on a trainer…ha). Anyway, back to ERG sessions after about 18 months. Enjoying the new app very much.

3 Likes

Kudos to the changes. And coming from me, that’s huge.

3 Likes