Your Positive Self-Talk

Great thread. I use the “just one more (interval, minute, hill, etc) and then I’ll quit” which usually gets me through a tough spot and back on track. When I’m really struggling I’ll switch to embracing the pain with a “Bring it on, minions! You can’t beat me!” This is my favorite trick in a strong head wind,too!

On Nine Hammers this week on #9 it was “you’ll have to do 8 1/2 more hammers to get to this point again!” That worked for me. Finished it!

5 Likes

During the Tour, I keep telling myself that none of these intervals are as hard as my last FF on Feb 6th.

1 Like

Oooooh. I like this one too! May have to steal it :wink:

4 Likes

During today’s #FF, I felt an incipient downward spiral building during the 20-minute block. I tried something new, going from “You can do this!” and “You can do anything!” to “You are doing this!”

It nipped the spiral in the bud and helped me power through.

6 Likes

Excellent work!

I felt myself tiring around the 8 minute mark and started telling myself, “it’s only 8 more minutes.” “You can ride hard for 8 more minutes.” “If you push on until the 4 minute mark then you can shift gears and bring it home.” “You can do this!” And then I closed my eyes a few times and just counted to 60, and then when I opened my eyes, more than 60 seconds had passed.

1 Like

Found some new ones today.

“I live here!”

“I don’t need video to motivate me. I’m the motivator. I’m so motivating I’m reaching back in time and motivating them!”

1 Like

This is a good one. I’ve recently discovered (!) that counting out a minute slowly takes longer than a minute. It’s brilliant. If all else fails, bend time!

5 Likes

I do something similar by counting to 10. On average my 10 count is about 15 SUF seconds. #timebenders

2 Likes

One of my favorites popped up today during The Shovel.

“You belong here!”

3 Likes

Hmmm. Has anyone checked how quickly time passes in Sufferlandria? Are we getting even more workout time than we think?

2 Likes

For me it is the reverse, no matter how slowly I count, I seem to count faster than the seconds (even if I count by thousands). Counting is usually a strategy I use when all else does not seem to work.

I explained my counting strategy here:

3 Likes

This morning, I got myself through a challenging real-world yoga class by repeating, “The uncomfortable have nothing to fear.”

4 Likes

I generally go with: “Now imagine if I am good at this!”

Weirdly, it makes a + difference!

3 Likes

Maybe you are good at this? :+1:

3 Likes

If you’re not 1st you’re last!

“Uncomfortable not painful” seems to work for me especially the long FTP sections where you wonder how you’ll keep going for 5-10 mins :cold_sweat: :sleepy: :drooling_face:

2 Likes

I frequently use these few:

1. Come on, you can do this!
  2. This pain is only temporary!
  3. Keep pushing till the end, don’t quit!
  4. Trying are for losers, doing are for winners!
  5. There’s food waiting for you :smirk:
5 Likes

OK I know this will get me a season pass (or 3) to Flogging Station #21 but does swearing at GVA as you tell him he’s not going to crush you still classify as positive ‘self’ talk? I find it works wonders.

My second best was a few months back when I hopped onto the trainer feeling a little queasy, unsure whether I had picked up my daughter’s gastro or not. Halfway through The Shovel - on new (higher) numbers from about a week before - I realised it was definitely gastro. Not my finest moment but repeatedly chanting “You can stop if it comes out EITHER top or bottom!” got me through without reducing intensity although my wife was somewhat concerned when she found me still draped across the bars some time later. She watched me carefully through the night.

4 Likes

Lately, I’ve been using the following to motivate myself.

1. I am old, but not as old as I will be tomorrow.
  2. I am fat, but have been way fatter.
  3. I am slow, but have been improving a little since a health related low point a number of years ago.
  4. I lack skillz, but am cleaning more and falling less. (mtb)
4 Likes

From the article: " A study by researchers at Keele University and Long Island University found that people who used curse words while participating in the high-intensity Wingate Anaerobic Power Test (WAnT) on stationary bikes demonstrated increased muscular performance than those who used neutral language while engaged in the same activity."

2 Likes