All purpose endurance 3

I purchased wahoo system for entertainment whilst doing the hamster thing indoors. So why does a long boring ride like ALL PURPOSE ENDURANCE 3. 3 hrs of long boring grind have no video. I know I can play you tube or videos. In this case I myself have copied the workout to the Zwift platform (something I had not planned or paid for until now. 3 hrs of watching Tour de France would be better than nothing

Because to fill out the exercise content required there were, historically, a bunch of no-vids.
You were also, half, expected to do those rides outside.
All purpose endurance 3 is just 3 hours of churning the pedals. I, personally (and I know that is important), prefer those sessions with Netflix running in the background rather than cycling content.
I love “true” Sufferfest videos, but on the long churns I’m quite happy to have TV on instead and just grind, if I haven’t gone outside instead.

Alternatively, you could do something like Cobbler + Norway 2 with the targets turned down to 75-80% and get a similar effort load with cadence and power changes added alongside video content, if that motivates you better.

6 Likes

Got Cobbler and another ride tomorrow. Don’t ride outside anymore too much traffic around here

fwiw, in the last couple years when planning some big goals, if I had to do these loooong boring indoor endurance rides, I would often flick on Z, get some XP and maybe knock off a route I hadn’t done. Of course that means another sub, but if you’re already on then maybe give that a shot?

3 Likes

As an alternative, I’ve found GCN+ to be $$$ well-spent. Currently finishing up the UCI Track Worlds in Roubaix on my long churns. Lots of content in addition to race footage. Highly recommended.

:+1::+1::+1:

11 Likes

I’m in the Uk and watch GCN with any no vid workouts, I haven’t tried them with say the Open Workouts where you can turn the video off and run it as a No Vid but if it’s a 3 hour workout just slap on another race whether it’s Paris-Roubaix or the TDF of course not sure if the races we get in the Uk are exactly the same as those on offer in the US

4 Likes

+1 for GCN.

5 Likes

I did ProRides: Hammer Climb 1 today instead of a long endurance workout. It was NOT equivalent, even at 75% power. lol

Cobbler, tho, I can vouch for. Or ISLTA turned down to 75% works, as well.

2 Likes

Took me awhile to get with the flow from the US with the different licensing issues, but we seem to get everything eventually - if time-delayed. All three grand tours, Paris Roubaix, lots of smaller stuff. Only tough one I recall is I don’t think I ever got access to the men’s road world’s, but watched the women live.

2 Likes

75% isn’t a rule! :joy:
Hammer climb probably needs to be at about 60% to get to the point of being an “endurance” ride. They’re also non-ideal given the flowing nature of the power changes, but they’re an option.

2 Likes

hehe! :grin:

Yes, that spikey power profile is definitely far from ideal for endurance.

I did Giro Donne on Saturday and it was even worse. Very spikey power changes that were either off or on for most of the ride it seemed. I wouldn’t recommend it as an endurance ride, either.

But like I’ve probably said many times before, ISTLA is a good one. One of my favorites and about 2:48 in length. The lengthy climbs help give it a good endurance feel at 75-80%.

1 Like

Indeed. Cobbler is the same, it’s not bad as it is, knock it to about 80% and it’s a very good endurance ride which can be coupled into something else (even ISLTA) as an extended endurance instead of no-vids

3 Likes

Here the Worlds used to be shown on the BBC so GCN would have it blacked out due to tv rights but that changed this year and GCN showed it all which was good as you got to see the Under 23’s and Junior Men’s and Women’s and any platform which shows more cycling no matter what is whether it’s Track/MTB/CX or Road is surely a good thing.

2 Likes

+1 for Cobbler at 80%. Did exactly this a couple of days ago as a substitute for a 2hr Endurance ride.

3 Likes

If I have to do that kind of ride indoors then I hit Zwift or Rouvy to turn it into a virtual endurance ride. I don’t strictly follow the constant monotonous power profile either. I just make a note of the average power for the 3 hours and roughly aim to match that over my ride.

2 Likes

Grunter says it’s good mental training to do long indoor rides with no video (or sound)! Preferably in front of a matte grey featureless wall!!! :confounded:

2 Likes

I’m daft enough without a visit to the funny farm

WE all are. The issue you brought up was in the Coaches Notes for most rides. You can do the long endurance ride with something else running OR you can pick a few of your favorites and do them at the appropriate level (note Endurance is not as high as you think it is). I’ve done both. Anything over an hour is BORING staring at a blank screen. One of my favorites is do the Open: series with appropriate adjustments to intensity and playing some thumping music in the background!

1 Like

You could ride workout you like and put it in level mode, ignore all power targets on screen and just ride to your endurance target. There’s a great podcast on low intensity training which is worth listening to.

4 Likes

You can also check out the Inspiration category for endurance rides. We don’t have any that are 3 hours, but there are a handful in the 1:30-1:50 range…and we’re adding more pretty regularly! Lots of films/workouts in the hour range and lots of recovery rides. Just something to remember when looking for lower intensity sessions!

1 Like