šŸš€šŸš€šŸš€ Announcing: SYSTM, the new home of The Sufferfest šŸš€šŸš€šŸš€

This deserve to be repeated.
Also, why not have a picture of Abi in the yoga library?

11 Likes

Hi tnx for your reply. I have a acces point in my pain cave, its the same connection as my laptop uses. That is fast enough. Also I do not have any issues streaming youtube or Netflix on that tablet. It is just this app that has an issue. But the buffering so far only occured on rides, the Yoga sessions were fine.The sample is just 2 Yoga and 2 workouts so I guess I will true a few more.

I need to take fairly significant issue with thisā€¦
The reasoning has been explained by Sir Neal.
Now, Iā€™m ready to accept that you might know more than him about sports science and if so I will retract this post entirely, butā€¦ Assuming youā€™re not actually a professional cycling coach or sports scientist then I donā€™t think weā€™re in a position to call it ā€œdumbing downā€ if he feels that certain sessions werenā€™t actually achieving what they were designed to do and needed to be modified.
Frankly, if he has identified an issue with them and chose not to change them just to keep them ā€œhardā€ then that would be very much ā€œdumbing upā€

As for ā€œbig mountainā€, I think they should have just found a new term entirely, but I can accept the removal of ā€œMount Sufferlandriaā€ because the MTP now sits outside the Sufferfest library and it just sounds like utter nonsense if youā€™ve come into it from any of the other angles now available on SYSTM.

I think we owe Sir @David.McQuillen.KoS the absolute benefit of the doubt here, if it werenā€™t for him then we wouldnā€™t have ever had a Sufferfest in the first place and for so long as he says ā€œI still believe in my product and that I am in a position to keep the Sufferfest aspect the way I want and envisioned itā€ then we should stand behind him in that.
Yes, we may feel invested in it, but it was his baby long before it was any of ours.

19 Likes

:point_up::point_up::point_up:
cos thatā€™s exactly it! the changes Sir Neal has implemented might make suffering (slightly) more bearable, but imho (and Iā€™m a sports scientist as well) it becomes more a lot effective, while the fun and humour and considerable part of suffering remain

15 Likes

To be honest, I quite like all the changes. I liked Wahoo and I liked Sufferfest. The new Primers workout show that all the things we love about the Sufferfest are still there. The changes implemented my Sir no Neil show that they care, refine and improve their workouts based on sports science. The podcasts are an excellent addition as well.

6 Likes

And again

7 Likes

I had a short look at the sufferfest videos. What happened to the intro? The original intro music and video gave me goosebumps almost immediately. This new one made me looking for a way to skip it as soon as possible! Please, please, please bring back the original sufferfest intro and get rid of this soulless thing!

I also agree with this. As mentioned, I feel a lot of the soul has been sucked out. The ā€œepic-nessā€ of that intro was great. I can totally understand changing the intro but the new one is very sterile by comparison and devoid of panache and soul. Please bring back some of the swagger in the future.

Otherwise the changes to the app, the improvements to the technology, the addition of Android are top notch provide a strong base to build on. Wahoo/The Sufferfest just need to work on building back an identity and personality (that they already hadā€¦)

4 Likes

Unfortunately the priority is to get more users to try the app and get more paying users than having something special. A standard peloton user (which I guess they are after) doesnā€™t care about any Sufferlandria culture.
I did Defender today and loved it, I really hope this kind of workouts is not going away but hey they are tough and its not compatible with everbodyā€¦

1 Like

Good point. Iā€™ve only used Android for yoga and strength, not for bike workouts.

@kah definitely contact the minions about this to see how they can help. Iā€™m running it on MacOSX (Monterey Beta) and have had no issues whatsoever. I always download first and have not had a problem doing so.

2 Likes

One part of the new plan development is the lack of the ability to add separate components when required.
I am about to finalise the big race of the year and want to go back to doing a long base over the summer. When I develop the plan, it will let me add yoga and mental but no strength. Given that I am now 50 I like to have the strength component as part of the plan. I know I can add it sessions on their own but it would be nice to be able to add just a strength plan or make it a optional add on like yoga and mental.

1 Like

I had to get the info from the minions . When I first tried cadence builds when I got to about 128 rpm the bike just added resistance so it became difficult if not impossible to increase the rpm over 130. Erg or level doesnā€™t matter . Minions talked with wahoo and it engineered in to ā€œprotect the motor.ā€ Kept my old kickr and do cadence on that or outside .

1 Like

Regarding the intros, they grow on you. I hated them at first. They have retained the endings. I used to love the old intros but I came to see that ā€œabandon meā€ was not quite right either.

Although it is an awesome, haunting song, Sufferfest is not for those who suffer because we have no choice.

I would prefer a better intro than the old one or new one but am at a loss to know what that would look like. Finally, where else would we go to ride Sufferfest videos?

6 Likes

@Sir_Brian_M Personally I could care less about the intros. The work is still there as evidenced by the Sufferfest videos that continue to exist and now there is more variety - the Pro-Rides and the On Location stuff has been great so far.

8 Likes

I donā€™t like the new intros. But I didnā€™t always enjoy the old ā€œAbandon Meā€ intro, either - tho it did stick with you. I would also prefer something else. But I donā€™t know what, exactly. And I know that likely everyone will never agree on a new intro anyway, just like how no one agrees on their favorite workout music, etc.

Regardless, the workouts are still the same Sufferfest workouts with the same music, the same humor, the same cheese, and the same suffering. And they even kept a good Sufferfest outro. Those workouts arenā€™t going away. The Sufferfest may now be a domain inside of the new SYSTM app. And we may all hate the new term ā€œBig Mountainā€, but itā€™s not sanitized and itā€™s not going away. They even created a new Sufferfest video for the Tapers workout. And Iā€™m pretty sure more new ā€œSufferfestā€ workouts are planned.

And now I have a new app that has a whole bunch of new features and a bunch of cool new workouts, with the promise of a whole bunch more new features that all wouldnā€™t have been possible in the old app.

Am I happy with where SYSTM is now? No. But I know thereā€™s going to be growing pains, and that the path has been set for bigger and better things that will eclipse the temporary pains with future gains. If we only look at the temporary pains we are ignoring the grand future this app has laid the foundation for.

13 Likes

You can do this, go to plans and go to the cross training section

2 Likes

try choosing a new plan, the option of having a training plan with outdoor weekend rides is no longer available.

i did mention that i am two weeks into the SUF training plan (with outdoor rides) which is reloaded without an issue at this point of time.

1 Like

What would be really nice is if you could link the badges work a list of workout you still have to do.
Currently Iā€™m missing the Yoga all core. When I check the library and search for core I find 4 which I did all. Do which one is missing, how do I know?

4 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

I have done. Mine has outdoor rides on both weekend days.

1 Like