šŸš€šŸš€šŸš€ Announcing: SYSTM, the new home of The Sufferfest šŸš€šŸš€šŸš€

@abicarver Iā€™m loving the Yoga. I often do two or three sets. Still a beginner, but getting better.

3 Likes

Ha. You are eeeeeeeevil!!! Evil I tell you! I was doing Improving Posture 1 today. You know, the one with 1 handed tiger. Even my wife laughed when she heard you say, relax into the pose!

3 Likes

The wonders of the internet wayback machine: The Sufferfest: Complete Training App for Cyclists and Triathletes

2 Likes

Still firming this up, but Iā€™ve asked the team for more info and Iā€™ll let you know when I learn more :slight_smile: - any topics you want to see covered?

There is certainly room for improvement, but the bones are strong and it will improve going forward.

You definitely werenā€™t the only one. You may have received a reply elsewhere, but after some backa-and-forth with Garmin it looks like the integration is back online. Sorry for the inconvenience! cc @SamY

Checking in with you here. Did you get this resolved by our support team? If not, we can help - write us here: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Itā€™s a tough solve with tons of different scenarios and the ride/training/device management and other data is important to keep intact / problem-free - so weā€™ll take our time with it to make sure we get it right - but there are some good reasons for making it happen.

The eSports plans can be found by choosing Cycling > Event Prep > Online > Virtual Racing from the plan picker, with the remaining steps filled out relevant to your needs. Theyā€™re 12 weeks long and ā€œendā€ on your target race event.

Sorry I didnā€™t reply sooner - but you can use the same SUF account to log in to SYSTM (if you havenā€™t already, that is) and the data will carry over.

Weā€™re working on finding a home for all the amazing culture & history, but itā€™s loss is not un-mourned by your fellow Sufferlandrians. Several interested (internal) Minions on the case at the moment, so this pain is only temporary

These are lofty standards - and nothing wrong with that at all! We hope to meet and exceed this expectation (and I, too, want to see this as well, so I wonā€™t stop bringing it up with the sports science and product teams)

Vote counted, but only once! :wink:

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply. I hope youā€™ve written us about this already, but if not you can ask our customer support team for advice here. There may be a few variables at play, but my first recommendation is to make sure the workout youā€™re looking to mirror is downloaded to your device, this way youā€™re not taxing your network as heavily.

The filter is sorted, by default, alphabetically. You can configure the sort to be by TSS or IF (or duration) as well, but if I understand correctly, youā€™re looking for the filter to sort from most MAP-iest to least MAP-iest, or for the app to identify/highlight the most effective workouts in that category? If so, Iā€™ve logged this for discussion with the team - I think itā€™s handy too!

Found the fellow Muse fan! Word from the higher ups is that ProRides do not count towards the Knighthood - they are not, strictly speaking, Sufferfest workouts. GvA did say something like ā€œI wouldnā€™t hate it if they did a ProRide as an 11th ride to cool-down from the 10 Sufferfestsā€¦ā€ :volcano:cc @Jon

Couldnā€™t agree more - improving the experience and adding depth to the information for each badge is on the road map. Noting your nods of agreement as well @Christine-B & @geraintevans

Hiya, now that the launch dust has settled and the server gremlins have been fed, is the streaming quality and ongoing issue for you? We are hearing similar reports and working on identifying the conditions where this is consistently happening. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

With the sequel, Pivot Table (cc @way9e0 - ah, I was totally going to make one but Iā€™m super late to the gameā€¦!)

Circling back to this, are these issues still plaguing you? Weā€™re circling the wagons on this and could use all the info we can get.

SWEET! :partying_face:

5 Likes

Streaming is almost perfect now. Usually I get 1 or 2 hiccups in a full video and they are only 1-2 seconds. Not perfect but really annoying either

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. Never ideal, but still good to hear your experience has improved overall. Weā€™re going to keep working this issue because, as we always say, nothing must dull the SYSTMā€™ing! :wink:

4 Likes

The streaming is still a big problem for me. I had almost no problems with the original SUF App but with SYSTM 50% or more of my sessions are interrupted by stuttering or missing videos. My network connection is (100mbps VDSL; Germany) is more or less idle during those streaming problems. Downloading a video in advance isnā€™t always an option as Iā€™m currently not following a plan thus deciding rather spontaniously which session I would like to ride.

Edit: fixed some typos.

3 Likes

Sorry, this must be frustrating and not the experience we want you to have. Still working on this issue with the team. Thanks for the update

Donā€™t hesitate to ask if there is anything I could do to support you like e. g. providing logging.

1 Like

Came across reclining hero for the first time in back strengtheners today. For an older cyclist it was shall we say ā€¦. challenging!!!

I know this sounds weird, but I love the yoga, not because I enjoy it (Iā€™ld rather fall into a death spiral any day), but because I know it really will benefit me in a way that increasing my FTP by 10 watts wonā€™t!!

8 Likes

I can understand (for business reasons) why the rebranding was done. I can imagine that many people did not want to look at Sufferfest because of the name.

But the name, the story and the attitude of Sufferfest was exactly the reason why I switched 3 years ago from Zwift to Sufferfest. Before I used Sufferfest indoor training was pretty boring. But Sufferfest made it fun.

For me it was never a problem that Wahoo purchased Sufferfest. I am still thankful for the Wahoo heart rate monitor which was given to the existing subscribers free of charge. Thanks Wahoo !

Having the Sufferfest in a sub category in SYSTM is also fine with me.

What I do not understand is that the Sufferfest videos were rebranded with a different intro.
For me it became kind of a ceremony to watch the video intro with the bleeding eyes, the volcano, the credits and so on. It was the spark to give my motivation a kick-start. The new intro doesnā€™t do the job for me. But ok, itā€™s just the intro. I will get used to it.

Probably it is my personal impression, but the videos which were released in the last year or so do not continue telling the story of Sufferlandria. No lactic acid, no Mt. Sufferlandria, no flogging station, ā€¦
I like the new categories Pro Ride and on location. They are a great addition.
But I would love to see some new real Sufferfest videos !
Getting only very few or no new Sufferlandrian content makes me think if Sufferfest will become a thing of the past. This would be a petty.

Changing to the SYSTM platform was done to attract new subscribers. The is important for all of us. But keeping the existing fan base of Sufferfest is also important.

@David.McQuillen.KoS : Please donā€™t let Sufferfest phase out and provide some new content. Videos, Tour of Sufferlandria, Sufferlandrian National Day, ā€¦

7 Likes

Donā€™t ever tell @abicarver, but I love the yoga for the same reasons. I still hate her though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First, Welcome to the Forums @Armin. If you scroll up through this lengthy thread you will see that the Sufferfest ainā€™t goinā€™ nowhere. Sir David has said as much several times here as you will see.

The Tour or Sufferlandria will celebrate itā€™s 10th Anniversary in 2022 and the dates have been etched in the Lava Fields as February 13-19th already.

Have you tried Tapers yet? Tapers used to be a No-Vid that would come up on pretty much every plan during the week of an event. Great little workout to keep the fires burning without being overtaxing. Now Tapers is a full-on Sufferfest video. More are in the works we are told by Sir David and Sir @Francois-Wahoo (the guy who actually makes the vids).

As for the Sufferlandrian National Day. I donā€™t believe we have had a formal day since October 7, 2017 when Kitchen Sink was released. That was a fun day filled with Real Pagne and CRAMMMMMPS. That said, Every Day Is Sufferlandrian National Day and there have been some informally organized days of special suffering.

7 Likes

Hi - why no Volcano climbing plan anymore please? Could it possibly come back?

Is Wahoo going to continue with Knighthoods?

And could you give any guidance for people with a Sufferfest account that also had a Wahoo account for things like Kickrs and Kickr Fit etc? How do we merge the accounts please?

Apologies if you have answered these previously. Iā€™m too shattered from the Suffering to scroll through the 570 replies.

1 Like

Interesting Kah as Iā€™ve been having this too. I presumed it was just an internet problem but I also had no trouble with the Suff App previously.

Thanks for your answer Sir Glen.
I read through the thread and saw some of the announcements of Sir David.
But I missed the date for the ToS 2022. I am really happy that it stays.
For me it was just that the assurance that Sufferfest airā€™t going nowhere did not match the impression I got over the last 6 months. Seeing a lot of non-Sufferfest content launched and almost no new Sufferfest content was the reason for my post.
If new real Sufferfest videos are coming I am more than happy.

I did not try the Tapers video yet. I did it couple of times when it still was a No-Vid. Due to the pandemic there was not a lot of events to taper for.

By the way, how do I get the ā€œKnight of Sufferlandriaā€ behind my name? I am also a KoS

1 Like

After using the new software for some time, I feel the urge to express some of my thoughts as well.

To start with the technical implementation of the software, I think the team has done a good job. On my devices (Windows, Android) the software works reliable, reasonably fast, responsive, etc. I also like the GUI and I donā€™t care that the colors have changed. So good job here.

Regarding the rebranding. I have to say, I personally preferred The Sufferfest. Part of the reason is that I always like the look in the face of others when I told them. Itā€™s a statement. And I liked belonging to a community, which, by their name, enjoyed doing things others would not dare. But honestly, Iā€™m just a regular guy spending the little spare time I have (besides a demanding job, and enjoying spending time with my wife, kids, family, friends) on my bike. And although I really like to go deep on the bike and suffer, Iā€™m not one of those people from those videos, who really exhaust themselves on those races. Iā€™m also not that kind of serious athlete doing his thing using TrainerRoad. I want to be entertained and thatā€™s what the Sufferfest videos do. I really donā€™t have a representative insight about the other users, but I have the feeling that they are not so different. Some of them definitely more serious about cycling but at least those who upload their rides to Strava (and are part of Sufferfest club) and many of the Sufferlandrians in this forum are not the semi-pro riders. Now that the name changed, Iā€™m again just a regular guy using some sort of regular Software. But thatā€™s ok because thatā€™s what I really am.
From a business point of view, I fully understand that some sort of rebranding has been necessary. As already said in this thread multiple times, many people wouldnā€™t use it just because of the name, even though it attracts people like me. Take my wife for example. We took spinning classes together in pre-pandemic times, but she would never ever do a Sufferfest workout. Especially when she saw how we are getting beaten up verbally. We had many discussions about that. I like it, also because I donā€™t identify with the recipient. But itā€™s very, very different from how the spinning class instructors tried to motivate us. So yes, I think rebranding has been necessary in order to attract more people. And I also see the urge to grow. This becomes evident when looking at my Strava feed. Even people that belong to the Sufferfest club more often uploaded Zwift than Sufferfest rides. Having a broad user base is key so Sufferfest will survive. We have left those times, where you bought and owned a DVD and could watch it, for the next decades ā€“ if your DVD player doesnā€™t stop working. And I also think that the name SYSTM is ok. It fits, from my point of view, well into the Wahoo universe, whether we like it or not. So I think, business-wise you have also done a good job here.

And yet Iā€™m still somewhat disappointed regarding new features. I must admit I expected more. Now, apparently, new features are coming in the progress section. According to DCR also power-duration curve (something I would really like to have), and additional metrics. But as I see it, SYSTEM is still just about well-defined structured workouts. No more, no less. And I actually hoped that you will go beyond that. And I also think that the user base for structured workouts is still limited.
So, what was I hoping for? From my point of view, you could expand in different directions. For example, the possibility to allow users to create their own workouts. Probably a feature for athletes that are more serious than I am. (I donā€™t miss that feature). Another feature would be to provide the video and the resistance based on the incline (weight, size and eg wind, tarmac, etc.) and allow users to ride at their own pace. And speed up or slow down the video according to the speed. Just like the other apps such as TACX is doing it. You already have the ProRides and On Location Videos. You could implement such a feature for that videos. I would like to see that.
Another additional feature would be gamification. Based on the idea sketched above you could add something like Strava segments. Either just based on pure speed, or relative to someoneā€™s FF profile. So, the more you exhaust yourself and suffer, the higher the scores. Now THAT would be fun (for me).
Iā€™m aware that implementing new concepts requires resources and time. I hope that youā€™ll have them at some point, that there is a customer base for that and it aligns with the future youā€™ll see for your product. Most probably, you have better ideas anyway.

And I really miss the old intro. Again, I can see why you changed that. But I like the old intro for the deep female voice, the slow beat. It was calming me down and yet getting me excited for what was coming next. And that I could actually sing to the song (even if I mostly did it just in my head).

To summarize this post: Iā€™m looking forward to seeing what the future will bring to the nation.

4 Likes

Ah yes, the coveted Knight of Sufferlandria name tag. Simples. Youā€™ll just have to do another Knighthood quest. Perhaps the same one you did the first time, in reverse order :wink:

I kid of course! Simply contact the minions and they should be able to get that fixed. https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

That is, unless youā€™d LIKE to do another quest. Then have at it!

evil laugh

4 Likes

Nice post! You might want to add these feature requests to the feature requests topic/threads. They might get missed here. You can even review that topic/threads to see if others have offered similar suggestions.

1 Like

Actually I am planning a second knighthood quest for x-mas vacation.
The only real vacation is in Sufferlandria !

6 Likes