ANNOUNCING: The New Sufferlandrian Flag & Coat of Arms

This year, you’ll notice that our Tour of Sufferlandria poster is a departure from our previous designs. Proudly taking center stage is the mythical, but very real, Sufferlandrian Laser Goat.

And just what, exactly, is a Laser Goat? The Laser Goat was, naturally, first featured in the critically-acclaimed Sufferfest workout ‘GOAT.’ In that session, we learned that they patrol the roads and trails looking for those who are unwilling to push themselves. Those whose Couchlandrian Tendencies have taken over and led to a life of ease, quiet and sloth. Although always given a chance to change their ways, what happens to those individuals left to the ‘care’ of the Laser Goats is too terrible to mention here. We best move on.

Anyway. As the famous saying about Laser Goats goes, ‘ the uncomfortable have nothing to fear .’ Laser Goats do not care at all how fast or strong you are - only that you are doing your best. Therefore, for Sufferlandrians, the Laser Goat is a positive, motivating symbol - a reminder to never stop pushing. To never give up. To always seek improvement. That being outside your comfort zone is where you belong. The Laser Goat is also a statement to those around you. It says ‘If you’re going to suck my wheel, you better not let go because this is what is waiting for you.’

It’s for all of these reasons that the arrival of the Laser Goat on the Tour of Sufferlandria poster is a big change for us, but it’s not the only, or even the most significant, one.

The Sufferlandrian flag, created 10 years ago and first appearing in Local Hero, has long been a symbol of our Nation. So many of you have it in your garages, pain caves or hung above your dining room table for all visitors to see. Over the years, as we became more global, it’s became apparent that there were some problems with our flag. Many people felt it was overly intimidating. Those bleeding eyes were just downright scary (unless people thought they were a spider, butterfly, ink blot test or some other thing besides bleeding eyes). Others thought we copied the flag of another country (many from the Middle East are similar). But certainly the most disturbing issue was realizing that it had a nearly identical design to one associated with early Nazi Germany.

It was clear that we couldn’t keep things as they were. We needed a flag that could stand on its own, unburdened by associations with the past and something that Sufferlandrians all over the world could rally behind. We needed a flag that our people could proudly fly alongside (and above!) the other well known flags of the cycling world, one that wouldn’t be out of place next to, say, the Lion of Flanders.

The new Sufferlandrian flag is bold. It flies with confidence, inspiring all who see it to go beyond their comfort zone….and striking fear into the hearts of those who would rather not. It’s a flag which stands clearly, uniquely and just slightly strangely on its own. It would look as lovely in your lounge room or even as a bedspread as it would on the flagpole outside your house (you have one, right?).

Alongside the Flag, we’ve also updated our SUF Coat-of-Arms. Our original COA was extremely detailed and very difficult to print clearly at smaller sizes – we often reverted to a ‘simplified’ version in most cases. To address that issue, and line up with the new flag, our new COA retains the classic red, white and black pattern and adopts the heraldic Laser Goat as its center - without adornments or words, it says everything it needs to.

It’s not easy to change a National identity. Passions and history run deep. For all of us. We didn’t take the decision lightly and we spent a lot of time discussing both internally and with a trusted group of Sufferlandrians . Those discussions gave us the confidence to present to the Nation a new identity that better represents who we are and what we stand for. We’re proud of it and, personally, I absolutely love it. Many of you will love it instantly, others may take a little while to get used to it. Over time I’m confident you will come to love it (if you don’t already). Now, if you already have a Sufferlandrian flag (l’ve got about a dozen), you have an important piece of our history. You’re part of the foundation. Now, let us build further upon it. The uncomfortable have nothing to fear.

We will have new flags and t-shirts for sale at our shop in a couple of months. In the meantime, you can purchase our new Sufferlandrian National Team Kit - including Knights jersey - at https://sufferfest.builtbycuore.com/

sufferfest21-herobannerjpg59-copy

38 Likes

I hope these changes are accepted Sir David. I have to be honest as a long term Sufferlandrian I don’t like the goat as our main symbol … I always though of the goat as a nice joke in a couple of the videos but that was it. The flag was a flag of honour for all to see … bleeding eyes and all. This flag looks like a black poster with a goat on it, thats all. It is a sad day for me. I am not going anywhere as we cannot leave anyway but I had to voice my opinion Sir. :t_rex: Fluffy would have been a much better choice. :v:

844CBA8A-2B4A-4C78-96B9-159A708302F9_4_5005_c

19 Likes

Sums up my thoughts exactly

2 Likes

9 Likes

I absolutely understand that the long time members have a deep relationship with the old symbols and flag. It‘s hard to change things and I am sure it wasn‘t an easy decision for the SUF Team.

I’m from Germany and really couldn’t fly our old flag proudly 'cause of the color choice.

For me, this departure and break from old tradition is exactly what I was hoping for. I love it. :heart_eyes:
It‘s a more inclusive design for many of the reasons Sir David already stated in his post.

The flag itself… It’s reminiscent to a pirate flag, in my opinion. Honestly, I am not completely sold - yet. I will have to see how it looks in my garage first. Even if not, there is always the option for a version 2.0.

I am sure it will evolve even further in the future.

Thank you.

23 Likes

I understand the motivation for the change but my first reaction was very similar to Gerry’s :black_flag: :goat: :confused:. Oh well, time to find new cheese. Mmm, cheese :cheese:

Heads over to the Facebook group to read the already 100++ reactions there…

4 Likes

I understand the change away from the previous flag. But, I wish at the very least that the flag was black with the Laser Goat COA on it, not just the goat. That would at least make it look more like a flag and less like a poster. I don’t mind the goat. It looks cool. I just wish the flag looked more flag-ish. Maybe with at least some diagonal slashes like on the new jerseys. Maybe flag 2.1 will bring some of these subtle improvements to make it look more… flaggy.

5 Likes

Getting a flag to look like a flag is not as easy as it might seem! We looked at lots of different styles and settled on creating similar to iconic flags like the Lion of Flanders rather than, say, a tricolore or other design. Once we can get these made into flags and flying on some flagpoles, hopefully it will look as flaggy as the best flags out there. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Well you won’t have any excuse not to hoist it up the flagpole (or wear it as a cape) now!

3 Likes

Great, I spit out my coffee… :grinning:

I wish I could have been in the meeting when everybody agreed: We need a flag that looks ”flaggy”.

That‘s already on my to do list.

7 Likes

@David.McQuillen.KoS Very true. And I do like the laser goat. Maybe it needs red hooves like the lion has. :grin:

I’m kind of partial to this one.

Maybe if it was a solid red background instead of solid black?

Maybe it will look better on my wall than it does on my screen? Only one way to find out!

But, you know, as with any new flag… you have to run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes.

4 Likes

I think, actually, we want to run it up the flag pole and see if anyone runs.

4 Likes

Totally get the migration away from the colours of the flag, however the burning eyes? For me that is synonymous with the Sufferfest. IMHO Lazer goats are cute, but the burning eyes as Mike Cotty tries to ride up Mt Sufferlandria, or the facebook group that was setup for couchlandrians - the evil humour THAT is sufferfest for me.

Also, I LOVE the coat of arms. Yes its messy and finicky to print. but I loved the icons. The 10/10, the pain, misery, agony and the honour, glory, victory. IWBMATTKYT for life.

The concept of Sufferlandia being a place, our own hotel California (you an check out but you can never leave) . THIS IS SUFFERFEST, it hurts and thats awesome.

Im really trying to reconcile this with the new look and feel. Dont get me wrong, the actual videos are still awesome, catchy and push me deeper into Suf Mines than ever before, but I cant help but feel like the concept of the mystical country of Sufferlandria is dying abit… What does GVA think? Where are all the chamois dances? The email I received when I bought a video in 2016 is at the bottom of this note. THAT for me is Sufferfest.

I wanted to become a KOS since I bought your videos years ago. I finally got the courage to assault the castle in July this year, and SO badly wanted that kit. I couldn’t wait to have the the phrase “more than you” on the back of the jersey, it forced me to ride harder, to want it more than the person in my slipstream.

Maybe its early days, but I’m not convinced on the new kit. Lazer goats on the back of the jersey, and understated KOS on the chest. meh.

(Thank you for your order - it’s our pleasure to serve Sufferlandrians like yourself.

Of course, as a Sufferlandrian, there is a heavy responsibility on your shoulders.

You shall always suffer.
You will never be passed.
You will never get dropped, and if you do it will be in such a glorious explosion of Suffering that it will be seared into the minds of those around you and become a legendary tale for generations to come.

You will live the National Motto: I will beat my ass today to kick yours tomorrow.

The Minions will have it no other way.)

(My dear Sufferlandrian,

Filling your spare time with half-hour doses of extreme agony is ok.
We consider it totally normal behaviour in healthy Sufferlandrians.
We just wanted to let you know that in case anyone was telling you otherwise.)

10 points for who can tell me which video the last email is referring too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Totally agree. Struggling to see it as the national symbol.
Sure it will grow in me a bit but the Bleedin eyes is such a symbol (I’ve even painted it on my pain cave walls!)

As for replacing the coat of arms. I understand but I loved the coat of arms. The detail. The fact no one but sufferlandrians understood it (which I guess inboard is what I liked and equally why it had to change to create an easily recognisable logo for marketing reasons)

Glad a bagged a couple of polo shirts with the coat of arms on!!

As for the kit…

I quite like that to be fair.

No doubt I’ll get used to the changes over time. But please don’t water down the humour in the workouts!! That would be too far !!!

2 Likes

Absolutely no intention of doing that with the SUF sessions! I think Cobbler is a pretty good indicator of that.

12 Likes

Loved the old stuff, love the new stuff! Thanks for what you do Dave and the Minions!!!

3 Likes

You guys should have just put Abi Carver’s silhouette for the logo and flag, similar like the NBA did with Jerry West’s silhouette for their logo, and you should have quit with all this goats and lasers mambo jumbo…

4 Likes

Is that Flanderlandrian cat spitting out a hairball or taking the red pill? Just asking

4 Likes

Cobbler is bloody brilliant!! Top stuff cheers

Rich Rogers

2 Likes