ANNOUNCING: The New Sufferlandrian Flag & Coat of Arms

David, I appreciate the response and have great admiration for what you and your team have created. I can understand why you went with wahoo, but I’m only commenting on what I see, which are a few fraying ends. (I didn’t say - but perhaps should have - that the site now has more content, better functionality and is more stable than it was, so chapeau to that!)
Trusting what you say about your rights of creative freedom within the new management structure, I’d urge you to back your instincts and trust your vision to preserve - enhance! - the special sauce that’s made Sufferfest such a blast for so many for so long.
Otherwise I’ll be back turboing to full length dvds and videos of Roubaix and Flanders doing intervals on the cobbles…and life’s really too short for that!

5 Likes

Loving this. Simple. Fun. Perfect.

4 Likes

:point_up_2: Can I like this statement more than once? :point_up_2:
:+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

For all the complaining and stressing it’s because we love SUF so much! Sir David McQuillan has created something really unique. Eight, maybe nine years ago, I was looking for something, anything, to avoid another “ spinervals” session. Five new bikes later, I’m in best shape ever, despite managing a heart scare and a bad crash. I never would have found the Col Collective, nor climbed some big, big cols. How many people go from program to program to new trainer? So, yeah, Sufferlandria-“You can never leave!” I just hope Sir David and crew keep creating! I may think - “ Yeah - might have done that differently” - but going at it day after day keeping it fresh and creating new content. Chapeau!

15 Likes

Yeah. Better batching system (and while there are elements to the old knights kit I honestly would far prefer - specifically it being quite ‘standout’ different in the back with the crest before) I can see why it’s easier to simply make the existing shirt a different color scheme … and the quality of the Cuore kit is high from what I have heard.
Function over form and I know what I’m wearing.

2 Likes

Huh? Why would it be?

Once upon a time The Sufferfest was just video so people built the workouts on TrainerRoad. I’m unsure of the exact mechanics (never a TR user) but TR was used in an early edition of the tour to track progress on stages. It’s non-use due to the event of the Suf app caused momentary outrage on the Facebook group etc.

2 Likes

It was available there in the early days of Sufferfest.

Edit: beat me to it Sir @MattB :grinning:

Thanks.

Traditiion? What’s that?
(see what I did there by the way :stuck_out_tongue: )

Simply because we’re not organized enough to do it all at once. :slight_smile: We’re working on it, though so you’ll see stuff come through gradually.

7 Likes

I am about to try my first TOS and had hoped to get the flag beforehand. Anyone know where I can get the historical flag before the new design comes out?

2 Likes

You are too late like many others. So sorry.

Coming to an eBay near you, starting price ONE MILLION DOLLARS

3 Likes

Sir David,
Gradually removing what you’ve referred to as SUF branding with inadvertent visual links to Nazi symbols is an interesting approach. Your company, your decision.

have you suffered today?

I strongly disagree. when I became a citizen of Sufferlandria, our community was not as big and international as it is now (@David.McQuillen.KoS please correct me if I’m wrong). but the more international we become, the more we welcome new Sufferlandrians from all over the world - and we’re a very welcoming nation after all - the harder it gets to justify a symbol that cleary resembles everything but. it is - in my eyes - a Nazi based symbol and especially European, German Sufferlandrians in particular have become increasingly uncomfortable to fly the old flag with pride and confidence. yes, I do have one in my pain chamber, but it’s on display with other flags from places I’m proud to identify with, to show my sense of internationality. part of a greater picture. Nazi Germany not so much. and that’s the reason that me and I guess a lot of other European Sufferlandrians are glad about the change. the only thing that really got me was the fact that a US guy who lives in Australia had to come up with this :wink:. but then, this is also proof for our truly international spirit.
thanks @David.McQuillen.KoS and the rest of the SUF team for keeping up the spirit of Sufferlandria and everything it stands for.

more than you!
Honour, Glory, Victory to all Sufferlandrians

11 Likes

I had no idea about the flag colors until I looked it up. I have German friends who knew as soon as I asked that this was precursor to more and more Nazi symbolism as flag was modified with symbols. We fail in US over and over to have the kids learn about that terrible period. So many still have no idea about the Holocaust. Then one day I was on a bike/hike riding my Sufferfest Jersey and this big guy with beard and a big iron cross on his shirt and black hiking boots gave me a big thumbs up, smile and a wink. Took me a minute to sort it out. I’ll keep my old stuff but the flag stays in the pain cave and I’ll decide about the Jersey too.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it have been a simple fix to just reverse order the colors? So instead of black, white, red it goes red, white black? OR instead of having horizontal color bars they get changed to vertical color bars?

2 Likes

Reversing the order to red white black horizontal stripes is the current flag of Yemen.

2 Likes

Now I know this isn’t official kit but if you’re a fan of the laser goat and also a fan of cheese (as discussed here Too much "cheese") is it OK to wear this down the Nine Hammers tavern? Asking for a chubby riding buddy, er, friend.

1 Like