At what age you lose fitness

I am 37 now. I’ve been using Suf for around 3 or 4 years now (can’t remember) and I get better results of my tests almost Every time.

If I continue to train as I have been doing, at what age should I stop seen improvements and start to decrease my performance?

I thought I was old now, and I was not going to improve anymore. But gains come non stop… So…

3 Likes

Well I think it is different for everyone. I am 67 and over the last few years my “fitness” level decreases a bit each year as expected. However my level of total fitness I feel is better as I continue to adjust mentally what to expect from my body.

13 Likes

Great reply. Thanx a lot.
May I ask at what age you stopped getting improvements?
I hope I can get to 67 as fit as you are. The pics you post in facebook are awesome

1 Like

Check out this: “Aging in Sport” - Breakfast with Boz Podcast

4 Likes

For me, the big thing that I’ve noticed changing is my ability to recover. It seems like at every decade (30, 40, and now 50) (I’m 51) I notice a step-change in how long it takes me to recover from hard workouts and races.

On the bike, I don’t think I’ve yet hit a maximum fitness, but I’m sure that maximum potential number has been declining for a few years now. I’m not too worried about that, it’s more about making the most of what I have, and trying to enjoy what I’m doing.

For running, I suspect the pace I was able to run at 40 (when I set a half-marathon PR) are no longer attainable.

4 Likes

Interesting question. I think a lot of that depends on a whole host of factors. I started cycling in about 2013 and am not a lifelong athlete by any stretch. In fact back in 2010 I was the heaviest amd most out of shape I’d ever been at 47. I’m now much lighter, much fitter and much healthier. Been training with SUF since 2015. I’m 57 now and my FTP, MAP and AC are the highest they’ve ever been (just tested with FF last week). I’ve recently set all time bests in 10,20 and 60 min power and have done things on my bike that I never would have imagined doing when I was your age @Sebrios So, set your sights high and never stop pedalling!!

10 Likes

awesome. thanx a lot for all the replies.
I guess, if I keep my training, I will keep on getting improvements. Thats good to know.
I wanted to ask this, just to have it in mind… you know… when you train super hard and dont see the results, maybe its due to age or other factors, and wanted to “get ready”.
thanx again.

keep suffering!!!

I set a huge marathon PR a at 44 years old, beating my previous PR from 41 years old by 20 minutes!

I started cycling in 2017 and have been slowly improving a little every year. My training age in cycling is still quite low, so I look forward to many years of improvement ahead, even if I’m very close to 50 years old.

Training age matters, but so does accepting that it’s ok to shift towards a more appropriate training mix: more focus on intensity, strength training, nutrition, and recovery.

1 Like

Good to hear all this!
36 and planning to keep going for a loooooooong time yet.

@way9e0 Agreed - taking longer to recover is my experience at age 52. However, I am definitely still improving in cycling and when I was lifting weights last year before the pandemic I was setting new PRs there as well.

I did switch to a mostly plant based diet and it seems to be helping to better manage inflammation and I also don’t drink alcohol nearly as much as I did in the past. I also try to remind myself to stay hydrated as that seems to help with recovery and flexibility.

@Sebrios there is plenty of time for improvement so keep your eyes on Mt. SUF!.

4 Likes

I’m 45, I’ve been running since 2016 and biking since 2019, and I’m still getting better every test and race I do. I am training a lot more now than I ever did before which is obviously making a big difference, but I’m also improving in other ways.

My general skill levels are improving, efficiency has increased and I know a lot more about how to look after my body with both diet and rest.

So maybe my base fitness is dropping, but all the other things on top of it are going up way faster so it isn’t noticeable yet.

In a recent half Ironman I beat the fastest man in the 60-65 range by about 15 minutes but was beaten by someone in the 66-70 group so the way I see it, if they do it, so can I.

3 Likes

Not sure Sebrios, things/targets changed so slowly over time. I was a runner for many years before taking up cycling. I ran 10 marathons in my late 30’s and 40s till I was 46 and my body said no more running. My best marathon was in 94 when I ran 3:15 to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Best 10K was 40:12 and I sucked at 5k’s. I took up cycling because I still wanted to be active but I have never raced bikes. So really my cycling fitness was set by distance and time in the saddle to ride long group rides of 80+ miles with a lot of climbing here in Colorado. I hope this helps you a bit. If you are ever out this way lets ride and enjoy conversation. Suffer on and enjoy the TOS.

3 Likes

From the data I have seen, on average, the big drop off occurs in male athletes after the age of 70, and for female athletes after menopause. Before that, on average, it is a slow decline. Different sports have different degrees of drop off.

On the other hand, the averages tell you nothing about an individual.

To give you another perspective on recovery. Quite a few years ago, when I was 60, I had a bicycle accident. I broke my left collarbone, and destroyed my rotator cuff. I could not even put on a pair of socks.

Within two weeks I had complete use of my rotator cuff back, and four weeks after that I was back riding my bicycle. I was told I recovered as if I was about 20 years younger.

You will just have to see how it goes for you.

7 Likes

So, do you think a person who has constantly trained, and is now… Say 54… Can still get improvements (better numbers) compared to when he was…40?

Yes.

1 Like

I’m 41 and getting faster (or less slow) each year. don’t worry about it - at some point you may stop making gains but you’ll always be ‘fitter’ than a couchlandrian :slight_smile:

9 Likes

There are so many factors here. Pro athlete training all your life? Probably after 35 you’ll begin to decline? Fat slob who’s done nothing his whole life and starts to exercise at 55 years old? They’ll still improve.

2 Likes

I am nearing the big 70 .In my year and a half in Suff there has been a gentle improvement .Considering there has been an age related decline, I think the results are good. Prior to Suff, there was a decline after about the age of 40 .I only compare numbers with post Suff training, not the ones I may have achieved as a spring chicken

6 Likes

Just out of interest, is there a small 70? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That is what the big 70 looks like on the eye chart when my nearsighted eyes look at it. :wink:

3 Likes