Best way to squeeze in some running

Hi, looking for some views on how to squeeze in some running whilst on a plan. I’ve just started the tri plan (replacing one swim with a steady run and one with either an easy outdoor ride or some extra strength) but feel this isn’t really for me, I’m not a racer and there’s a lot of emphasis in there on speed I think and I’d prefer a longer focus on climbing.

My running is important to me but I like a trail run at the pace I feel like running, I’m not really interested in the race but in the headspace and buzz that it gives me.

Riding is fast randonneur pace rather than race pace so maybe 300k 11-12 hours moving. I enjoy climbing.

Is it better to take on maybe gravel plan or hilly grand fondo plan and try and shoehorn a few running sessions per week in there or better to stick with a tri plan? Or maybe use the blocks and fit running in around those? I can’t really afford a custom plan at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Best way I know of is to run off the bike and/or to do some run-walk intervals, especially at the beginning (since you’ll probably get sore at first).

Search these forums … there have been a few good threads that you could review for other tips.

Thanks, I did search the forums but mostly it seems to be either runners converting to cycling or cyclists wanting to start a bit of running. I’m already running and happy to go out for 10/12 miles if I keep the pace down a bit, (so no issue with soreness) I’m really just trying to keep the running going while I focus on the cycling for some long events next year because I find it relaxing and mentally beneficial…it makes me smile :blush: .

Having given it some thought overnight, I think the tri plan is probably right for me but I just need to adapt it a bit, keeping an eye out for overtraining /fatigue. Once I’ve completed and after a bit of a break I can do some blocks to focus on climbing.

Coach Neal addressed a similar question on another topic recently, you may find helpful:

Ultimately, running requires a different type of muscle contraction called an eccentric contraction that cycling does not use. Eccentric contractions are effectively lengthening movements of the muscle that cause tearing and damage to the muscles that result in soreness, typically peaking 24-48 hours after exercise. Strength training also includes eccentric muscle contractions when you lower a weight against gravity, which is why strength training and running (as well as downhill skiing among other movements) cause much more soreness than cycling does.

There’s something that is know as the “repeated bout effect” with eccentric muscle contractions that after you’ve done a movement that gets you sore, if you continue to repeat a similar stress on the same muscles the amount of damage and soreness will be significantly less than the initial stressor.

In a practice sense, the protective aspect of the repeated bout effect lasts about 1 up to 2 weeks. If you were to perform strength training consistently, you’ll have less exercise induced muscle soreness when you run. Also, if you run about once a week you’ll maintain a reasonable level of protection.

Personally, I run for a mile or two about once a week to be able to maintain a little bit of protection from the soreness and maintain some bone loading stress. Keep in mind, though, doing something different - like an uphill and downhill hike or go water skiing - there’s a slightly different type of stress and therefore you can still get sore from the new activity/exercise!

2 Likes