Cycling @ 66 years old

Hi all,
I haven’t cycled in 2 1/2 years due to getting covid at the very start, with pneumonia in both lungs and copd. I also suffer with PTSD.

Any advice in where I should start.
Billy

2 Likes

Welcome back @Billy!

A few thoughts on getting back into cycling:

• check in with your doctor first to see if there’s anything you need to be aware of before starting an exercise program
  • have a look at the ‘New Routine’ plans in SYSTM - they provide a good way of getting back into cycling
  • get in touch with one of the coaches (perhaps a one-time consult?) if you have any more detailed questions

Great to hear you’re getting back into cycling!

4 Likes

Def get the OK from the doc, but do you want to ride inside or out? My very strong preference is for outside. I only ride inside when outside isn’t feasible for me (bad weather, short days…). If you have good nearby outside riding (road, MTB, gravel…) plan some short easy rides to get back into the swing. Once you get going again, you’ll have a better idea of how you want to proceed.

3 Likes

Thanks Saddlesaur,
Much appreciated.

Kindest Regards.
Billy

1 Like

Thanks for the info

1 Like

Hi Billy,

Might I suggest that you don’t worry about training at this point? Just get out on your bike and have some fun. Your body will tell you when it’s ready to put the hammer down.

4 Likes

Hi @Billy and glad to hear you’re able to ride again now! I think @AlexEllermann has some good advice on focussing on just riding a bike at the moment and enjoying it. Once you are comfortable riding more and on consecutive days, then the New Routine plan in SYSTM can really help you get back into a regular routine and begin some more structured training. Start nice and easy and build up gradually, as that will help ensure new training routines and habits are sustainable long term

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Andy, will take on board.

Kindest Regards.
Billy