From the Coaches: Adaptations to Strength Training

@Zhadox,

My best advice is to use your best judgement on what your needs are. You can make these strength routines easier and harder in various ways. As a strength coach, I like to see people generally challenging their muscle load/strength more than the speed or number of repetitions which would put more stress on the cardiovascular system. As cyclists/endurance athletes, we generally get enough cardio training via riding, running, swimming, etc. But not enough muscle load. So bottom line- challenge yourself however you see appropriate, but if possible, err more to the muscle load aspect.

@jorrego,

Yes, you will see more plyometric exercises in the strength program in the near future. Explosive activities very beneficial, but must be done with caution and only after developing a good strength base, which is why they were not included in the original strength program.

@FredrikG,
If you want more specific advice on training, please consider a Customized plan so you can talk to a coach and have your plan tailed to your individual needs. It is fine to complete the “pre-season” or Strength based gravel plan, followed by the gravel plan that ends with an event. It would appear that they’re the same plan and one just has strength added, but it is actually more complex than that. Adding strength requires a completely different cycling plan so pairing these two plans back to back is actually an optimal way to train.

3 Likes

Thanks Suzie
Either I missed that the plan I selected with strength added is a “pre season”plan, or it should be more clear in the description.
I use Garmin connect, right now I have a “low “training load “not productive”and more high intensity and Anaerobic is recommended by the algorithms. I should probably not be alarmed when adding strength. Or what do you think?
When adding training in Z2 and Z3, as a beginner I think it’s not “real training”. No tunnel vision and keeping the food down is not hard enough :slight_smile:
Only 2nd week so guess I need patience and see how I feel. But if I feel More challenge is needed Would you recommend to increase some Targets threashold, or redo the threashold test? The ftp is a little low, compared to Garmins algorithms. (4 units).
Some of the outdoor rides lack video, when weather is bad, it would be good with a file without video. Have I missed them or should I look elsewhere? I guess the easy instructions could be made into a file, but I never done that…
Stay safe Fred

mån 7 dec. 2020 kl. 17:26 skrev Coach Suzie Snyder via The Sufferfest <thesufferfest@discoursemail.com>:

BTW:My HRM didn’t work at the “Half Monty”, so I guess retake the test with working HRM might be good to set values right?

mån 7 dec. 2020 kl. 21:36 skrev fredrik grim <fredrik.grim@gmail.com>:

@BikeGirl and @Coach.Suzie.S
Thanks for the question - I’ve had the same.

and thanks for the answer. I’ve been wanting to add more running but didn’t want it to get in the way of my cycling focus. I may just try this approach.

1 Like

@FredrikG,
Yes, if you can re-do Half Monty with a working HRM, you’ll have better numbers to train by. BUT if you haven’t done Full Frontal yet, you’ll get even more accurate numbers to guide your training and are likely to make your intervals more intense if you feel that they aren’t currently.

And yes, be patient on the plans. Some of the start rather easily but ramp up over the first 4 weeks. So don’t get too antsy and manually increase your metrics yet. Especially if you haven’t done Full Frontal. In addition, since you’re on a plan that includes strength training, there are not as many high intensity cycling workouts because of the general need for more recovery and less intensity due to the stress of the strength training. The same plan that is designed to end with an event would have more high intensity sessions.
And finally, remember that not all training has to make you puke to be effective!

3 Likes

Font know if the uploadmworks but I Deciderat on a FF, and ftp+3, MAP+33 AC+8, NM 51. Figurer might show I didnt Hold back on the MAP, and SAS tirad afterski. But I gudssonen tris New Numbers Will impact levels. Would the type of workouts, in the graven 200 chaNge now When I am a persuiter? Or is the strength/weakness in the profile not part of the program design?

Yes, now that you have a rider type, the training plan you choose and the workouts within it will be tailored to your strengths/weaknesses, making your training much more effective. Does that answer your question? I’m sorry I don’t completely understand your question because of the language/translation.

As I selected training plan before workout, Where not all exercises/workouts Decided and scheduled at that time? Or will some now Some be changed/tailored to better reflect my profile? Or should I delete current plan and start a new? Autocorrect doesn’t work well when language is set to Swedish…

tors 10 dec. 2020 kl. 19:07 skrev Coach Suzie Snyder via The Sufferfest <thesufferfest@discoursemail.com>:

If you’ve done Full Frontal since choosing a training plan, then yes, you should delete the applied plan and re-apply a new one. Future workouts may change but your completed workout history will not be affected.

Thx, I have reselected the same plan gravel 200. The new 1:st day is 8 days after the one I was on. Perhaps the plans “start slow”, so I should be on the old plan for some time before transitioning into the new? Is so 1 or 2 weeks?

@FredrikG,
The plans start slow in the first week because in theory, you’ve just completed Full Frontal, so we want to make sure you’ve recovered from that very hard effort. I’d say start at the beginning of the plan, mostly because we don’t want you to skip any of the strength program. It is structured in a progressive way so you need to start at the beginning.

Coach Suzie,

I do a highly specific, negatively accentuated HIT strength training protocol. One set, 9 exercises to total, involuntary muscular failure induced by a static hold at the end of the negative. My rep cycle speed is 3" postive, 1" hold, 5" negative and depending upon the exercise for anywhere between 8 and 13 repetitions. My trainer keeps track of all that stuff so that I don’t have to. The protocol is named XForce and it uses MedEx like machines that are computer driven to automatically shift the weight stack to add about 40% to the weight with which to do the negative.

To say that I am burned out at the end of the typically 30 minute session is an understatement. So, with my interest with incorporating indoor cycling on my newly acquired Kickr Smart Bike, looking at the SF training protocols, there is no way on God’s good green earth that I can do XF and the a SF protocol of four training events in a 7 day cycle. I am typically depleted post XF for 2 to 3 days. I use Morpheus to gauge my physiological recovery.

Any advice you and others would care to pass along, I’d be grateful for.

thank you, Anthony

2 Likes

Wow, that sounds like a very intense strength training regimen. I can see how you’d be very fatigued afterwards and that does bode well for following a cycling training plan. I assume you only do this strength program one day per week, since you didn’t specify in your post. So my first thought is to contact us about a Customized training plan so that a coach can put more thought into it and make sure you’re following a routine that is ideal. Otherwise, I would suggest taking a plan like the Novice All-Purpose road cycling plan and perform your strength training as your second workout of the day on either Tuesday or Wednesday. That way, you are able to do 1-3 cycling workouts before your strength session (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, there aren’t always rides scheduled on all 3 days), then have 2 days off or easy (Wednesday is typically a recovery or endurance ride, Thursday is off or endurance, friday is recovery or a neuromuscular session like cadence builds), then you’re into the weekend when you should be able to ride in a mostly recovered state again.
We do have a strength training program in the app that is optimized for pairing with our cycling programs, however it would be very different from what you’re currently doing. Different is not always bad, and is often times a good thing, but would require that you take a break from the trainer so as not to overtrain while you adapt to incorporating indoor cycling to your schedule. I am not certain if you’re new to cycling or just indoor cycling, or your Kickr bike is just new. These are all things that you could discuss with a coach to create a more personalized, well thought out program since the forum is not the place to get into those specifics.
Similarly, you could also discuss other strength training options with your trainer if you want to continue with him/her.
For more information about our Customized Training Plans, visit https://thesufferfest.com/pages/customised-suf-training-plans

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Hi Coach Suzie,

Thank you so kindly for your response. I’m 82.5 years old, but with a CERG body age of 64 and algorithmically determined MaxVO2 of 39. Calculated and directly observed MaxHR is 159-160. Yes, my strength training program is tough. Even so, I will need to have sufficient conditioning for hiking and climbing in the WindRiver Range of Wyoming USA this coming August. Not technical climbing, but instead long slow distance efforts perhaps 7 miles per day. I know that exercise training is sport specific, so hiking and climbing is what I should be doing. However, given the season of the year here in Philly PA, not easily accomplished. Hence the purchase of a KickR smart bike so I don’t lose 4 months of training time.

I am a USMC from many decades ago, so pain is simply one’s weakness leaving the body. Nevertheless, with a prior Hx of paroxysmal supra ventricular tachycardia evident many years ago and confirmed via Bruce treadmill protocol, but absent completely even in the presence of the demand of XForce, I think that the KickR bike affords me a chance to acquire the cardiorespiratory capability necessary for my late Spring early Summer excursions in the nearby Appalachian Trail without risking an adverse cardiac event, thereby facility my excursion in the late summer (parenthetically with my marathon and ultra marathon sons).

Based on my former records from XForce I know that I can extend out workouts in that protocol for upwards of 14 days w/o losing strength. I am attracted to your site because I believe in structured training protocols. I just don’t know how to organize one given my goals and given the demands of XF. I will look more carefully at the Novice All-Purpose road plan, and then give careful consideration to securing a personal customized plan. I’ve cycled for many years, road and gravel, but, because of peripheral nerve injury on my right lower leg secondary to a motorcycle accident, I have tenuous road cycling capability because of loss of right-sided sensory input leading to loss of balance. Don’t ask me how I know that :slight_smile: So, the KickR bike was the obvious choice for me to have it so that I can use it for the next four months and not be concerned with falling.

Let me know your thoughts, if you like. Great site, btw. Worth every penny.

anthony

4 Likes

I don’t go above Int 3 as there are then too many sessions I can’t do. Wondering how to progress. I admit push ups on my knees are gradually getting bettin, I suppose stick with it is the answer

Great explanation. Started my first plan with strength added this week, and reading this post was perfect. Thank you!

Definitely stick with it. You can stay at the level you’re at, or cycle between levels Int 1-3 until you can complete Int 3 successfully. Then go up to Int 4 and if you can’t complete it all, that’s ok, just do as much as you can. You can continue repeating level 3 and working on level 4 at the same time. Does that make sense?

1 Like

@Coach.Suzie.S I have one more question: my understanding is that it is optimal to do a neuromuscular workout after a strength workout.

Besides the cadence trio, which other workouts are considered neuromuscular?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Coach Susie,
Thanks for the information! I started mountain biking this year after a 17yr break. I have rediscovered my passion for biking now in my 50’s. I am currently training on the pre- season mountain bike session. I have set 2 goals to achieve in 2021. My first goal is to cycle the Great Continental Divide in one week efforts for the next 7 years (About 400 miles per week). My second goal is to race a Ultra 30k mountain bike race this next fall. I mountain biked 3-4 times during the week from May - Oct. Which training program(s) would you recommend I do?

@Juanale81,

You are correct. Other NM workouts include Standing Starts, G.O.A.T., Power Station, or Recharger. Recovery rides are also encouraged, especially if it’s an "off"week.