How are training plans customised to my 4DP Rider Type?

When I am looking at a training plan it says:

This plan is customised to your 4DP Rider Type

Does that mean:

1. The workouts are chosen according to my rider type, or
  2. The workouts are adjusted according to my rider type?

i.e. for the same plan would someone with a different rider type get different workouts or the same workouts with different settings?

5 Likes

I don’t know the answer, but I think it’s different workouts for different rider types. Curious to hear the definite answer.

2 Likes

#1. The workouts are selected to fit your rider type and the goal of the training plan. There’s some more info here https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/training-resources/in-app-training-plans-faq

1 Like

Could be some adjustment according to your rider type too! I’d like to see HHNF at 50%. Always :grin:

2 Likes

Should be used in more official SUF events I think.
And unofficial …

Hi @genolan- great question! The answer is…BOTH!

Some of the workouts in the training plan may differ based on the weakness type- so two people applying the same plan may have different workouts on each day based on their different 4DP weaknesses.

In addition, the actual intervals within each workout are customized to your personal 4DP profile. So even if you and I had the identical rider type and profile, the targets within the workouts will be different based in our individual profiles.

Hope this helps to clarify! Cheers!

9 Likes

Thanks @Dame.Ellisa.Podemski It’s really helpful to know that. I can therefore choose a plan which is based on my goals and let the software take care of my weaknesses. Nice!

3 Likes

Exactly @genolan- that’s the magic of The Sufferfest…well, actually, it’s the Science of The Sufferfest, but it seems to work like magic!

6 Likes

This is an interesting topic, I have wondered this for a while . When the topic has been raised on other groups there has been the blanket type answer which does not really explain anything. I did one ride in the tempo block when I had a mechanical and a few days off Suff. I deleted the program and re selected it now I am able to ride again.The workouts are quite different

In this case, it’s most likely that we updated the plan between the point when you first applied it and when you applied it a second time. We often update plans as we release new workouts, learn what works best, etc.

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

So, this means I shouldn’t be adding a new plan until after my end-of-plan Full Frontal. If my rider type changes I will likely get a different plan with different workouts. If I add the plan now, it would lock the next one, and only the targets will be adjusted based in new/updated FF results. Is this correct?

1 Like

Yes. Do FF. then, when you have regained some level of motor control, rejoice in your results and choose your next plan.

4 Likes

Just a quick question.

Since the plans are customised to our own unique 4DP Rider Type and the training plans are to address our weakness, would it be accurate for me to say that Full Century or Hilly Gran Fonda is a “longer” version of All-Purpose Road. Since the training hour in the two plans are longer than All-Purpose Road.

Thank you so much.

I wouldn’t say that. I think the All-Purpose Road has a lot of HIIT sessions that try to swap in intensity in the place of the long sub-threshold endurance rides. And also tries to work on all facets of your bike fitness with lots of NM, AC, and MAP work with the expectation that the intensity will pull up your FTP. The Full Century and Hilly Gran Fondo plans have only 2 mayyyybe 3 HIIT sessions a week with a lot of longer tempo and sweet spot endurance rides, and focuses more on endurance with more MAP and sub-FTP work, some AC, and very little NM.

3 Likes

I can really get on with this, that is why this Fall/Winter/Spring I am going to try the All Round Plan in the Fall/Winter to try and pull up my FTP then Break and in the Winter/Spring time, with my hopefully new and improved FTP, do the Hilly Gran Fondo plan to increase my endurance prior to the outdoor season.

2 Likes

you mean I am doomed

Thank you Sir for your reply and analysis…

Thought Gran Fonda will be better plan to build up more FTP even though there is no hill in my area…hahaha…too naive (greedy)

Thank you so much once again

1 Like

I found I improved my MAP and FTP more with the Gran Fondo plan than with the All-Purpose plan. The endurance really helped me push up my fitness. And the endurance felt easier (to me) than the shorter more intense All-Purpose plan sessions.

Just remember, everybody is different. So, it could work for you. Or not. Only way to know is it to give it a try. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

That was my first thinking after reading this thread.

If the training plans are customised to our 4DP, and my weakness is sustained, wouldn’t the Gran Fondo training plan be addressing my Sustained weakness. And after going through the Gran Fondo training plan, the duration seems to be longer than All-Purpose Road (Advance).

Just my thinking… Thank you so much for your advice and will take note that everyone’s body will react differently.

Will give Gran Fondo a try after my current All-Purpose Road ends at Sept.

1 Like