Knighthood Attempt January 29/30

SUF points sounds like an interesting idea. What can they be used for?

:grin:

1 Like

Well more suffering, obvs, plus floggings.

I’ve given it some thought and I think I will be riding in this order.

1 The Downward Spiral 0:54
2 Angels 0:55
3 Butter 0:58
4 A Very Dark Place 0:49
5 Power Station 0:49
6 The Wretched 0:46
7 Attacker 0:53
8 The Rookie 0:53
9 Do As You’re Told 0:42
10 GOAT 0:42
![image 269x201](upload://eAYkBZ2rHMZX53TqQ0Enzn2uikl.png)

I almost put Wretched at #7 just so I could get those coveted SUF points that @Glen.Coutts is willing to hand out.

EDIT: just realized I get the 100 SUF points no matter what spot I ride The Wretched at.

3 Likes

Correct and dang!!! The Wretched is just so, well….

1 Like

Nice Road!

@Wahoo_Dave , good luck next weekend. I’m also planning a knighthood attempt on Sunday, January 30. Here’s the order I just selected (before reading this thread!). Any feedback anyone would offer?!

3 Likes

Looks like a total barffest! GvA would approve. You can collect all the bonus SUF points at the castle gate for including The Wretched, The Hunted & HHNF. A trilogy of terror.

Also, The Omnium as a closer! You just wanted to have that wee lie down before the end I’m surmising ;).

At some point you’ll likely look like this:

2 Likes

I love the GOAT workout, but it always seemed too short and too easy for a KOS quest. I see it has been quite popular as of late. And I agree it has some great music, an enjoyable video, and a nice ending with a good cool down, so it can be a nice video to end on. But, ehhh… I’ve intentionally stayed away from it. But it’s on the accepted list so I’ll stop myself, now. Lol. Anyway, moving on… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When I finished my first quest with Defender I tried to jump it back up to 80% from The Omnium at 65% (or was it 70%? At #9 and with my knee pain I don’t really remember. Lol!) Ended up dropping it 5% on each interval. Lol. For my anniversary quest I was at 55% for Cobbler and barely holding on. Tho that was number 11. Blender at #10 at 60% was hard enough.

For my first quest, Thin Air was my only video of 60 minutes or more. For my second I deliberately went the other way and chose none under 60 minutes. They definitely lead to a much different feeling. I felt pretty strong for most of my first quest except for the knee pain I developed from The Wretched at #6. I started at 80% and probably would’ve finished at 70% without the knee pain. For my second I just wore down from the long and relentless rides and despite starting at 70% I was down to 60% pretty quickly.

Long story longer… your quest is your quest and it will be glorious no matter what. I only really recommend variation. A favorite video that might seem a great climbing workout by itself at 100% could end up being a killer at 65% in the #6 slot of a KOS. My only recommendation would be sub in Violator at #10 instead of GOAT. Go out in a blaze of glory!! :fire::rofl:

1 Like

+64 for this suggestion :hamster:

Violator was my #10 so it’s in my KoS contract to say that all the best quests end with Violator :grin:. And, yes, I personally never thought GOAT should be eligible either but, hey, far too late for that opinion to matter anywhere outside my playcave :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

@Glen.Coutts , hrmmm, trilogy of terror? I actually haven’t done any of those 3 before (and I haven’t done 7 out of 10 of my selected workouts before). Is that set a bad idea?! Maybe this is naive, but I figured that no matter the workout, I could drop the intensity as needed to (still be really hard but) make it through…

2 Likes

@kmz777 To be fair, sustained efforts are not my strength so having three such beasts just makes me shudder. You are correct, sorta, that you can dial things down so the intensity won’t be as bad as doing them on their own at 100%. But…a Knighthood is an endurance event and as the day progresses you’ll be fatigued and what say 70% feels like on any other day might feel like 85 or 90% on THE day.

For me, and ymmv, I would mix vids up so you have a variety of efforts and if you’re gonna do rides with long sustained efforts, it’s probably best to front load them on your quest.

All that said, if you are looking to ride 7/10 vids for the very first time on the day of your quest, no matter how you look at it, that will be EPIC!

2 Likes

I love seeing everyone’s quest plans. Helps me decide on a list of rides for my next anniversary attempt.

I second everything @Glen.Coutts said, except for the sustained weakness. :wink:

The first time I ever rode Nine Hammers was during my first quest. It was my 2nd video and at 80%. Oof. It’s doable. Just makes deciding the intensity a little more difficult than usual.

I was just going thru my list of videos that I rode in my quests and there were at least 3 or 4 that I don’t even remember doing!! :rofl: So just keep that in mind for your quest. The brain fog and SUF time warp is real! :smile:

3 Likes

today’s the day. hope the knee holds up for the duration. wearing a support sleeve. what better way to spend day that has us under a blizzard warning.

3 Likes

Where is your pain cave Dave? :crossed_fingers:t2: your knees hold up. Remember this is an endurance event so don’t go out too hard at the start. If you’re feeling great after the first few hours, don’t worry, the pain will come :smiling_imp:.

basement.

a forecast to make GvA proud.

Screenshot 2022-01-29 075412

3 Likes

just started my #6. The Wretched

4 Likes

bit better than half way through the wretched and the knee gave out. could not push or pull. guess I need to wait for ortho to tell me what is wrong and fix it before attempting again

9 Likes

Dang!!! A valiant effort tho @Wahoo_Dave. You’ll get it next time! Lessons learned.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you had to stop, but at the same time I’m glad to hear you made a sensible decision to save your knees.

The Wretched did in my knees on my first quest and at #6, too. However, I kept riding to the end and ended up with knee tendonitis that kept me off my bike for 2 months and bothered me off and on for the next 4. So, that likely would’ve been your similar fate. Sounds like wisdom was the better part of your valor.

You learned a good lesson without the severe consequences. Next time you’ll nail it! :muscle:

4 Likes

@Wahoo_Dave , I’m sorry to hear your knee gave out and hope it heals up soon. I discovered cycling when I had a bad knee injury about 3 years ago playing soccer. Sunday I also made my knighthood attempt and made it through. For me, things started getting tough on #7 and #8 and then #9 The Wretched truly lived up to its name. Had to dial the ride intensity way down to finish the last 10 minutes of it. Will plan to do a longer post on this forum soon about my knighthood quest, because I promised the minions I would and also to share some surprising insights from the experience, which have nothing to do (and everything to do) with cycling.

1 Like