Mt Washington

I got to thinking maybe we could work it out where we meet at Ascutney if you were so “inclined” for a spin up there as practice - I’m not any good but I can summit given some extra time ie not a race. If you look at NE Climbs you’ll see it’s comparable to Washington at half the distance (actually starts out steeper). Something to consider …

2 Likes

I’m very open to this. I gave myself a nasty hamstring pull (maybe tear) on Monday, so I’m in rehab mode right now. After nearly a year of training, a recreational climb up Mt. Ascutney may be the best I can do this summer.

OBTW, do you have a Magic Road code for Mt. Ascutney?

OK then, rehab and let me know.

I haven’t yet tried/ figured out the Magic Road thingy - if I send you the Garmin Connect file going up (or would you want down to?) Ascutney can you do it?

it has to be a GPX file?

It does have to be a .gpx file. There are a bunch on ridewithgps.com, but I don’t know which is best.

email me and I can send back the GPX I have if you want it (I can’t attach it here):
jreino11@comcast.net
John Reino

Hey I know that jersey! My neck of the woods!

1 Like

I’m traveling right now. This is a great opportunity for you to figure out how to build a magic road. It’s easy: I promise!

All you have to do is email the .gpx file to magicroads@rgtcycling.com. RGT will do the rest.

OK will do.

Road activity_6912658219 created based on your activity file

1 Like

Hey Sir Alex, I hope your hamstring rehab is going well. These “interruptions” are never fun.

Secondly, sorry about your hassle with the LBS and your gearing and I may even be able to offer some advice/ solutions - possibly even useful :grin: - from afar as I’ve just been through a very similar thing with my gravel bike. I have one LBS nearby that is just superb, I have another that is absolute *$@# (unfortunately that’s where I bought my gravel bike from) and a whole bunch in-between. in different ways they’ve all taught me how to do more and more myself over the years - topped up with teachings from Google “How to” searches, You Tube and one particularly great mechanic at my favourite LBS. Depending on your current drivetrain setup, and how old it is, you’ve probably got numerous options available to you rather than just the one your LBS has suggested/ carried out. Because I frequently encounter gravel climbs over 15% I recently changed my SRAM Force 1 setup from a 40/ 11-42 to a 40/ 10-50 (i.e into MTB gearing territory). What a pleasure on the truly steep climbs. If you want to explore further drop me a PM - it would be crazy listing things here without knowing your current setup.

2 Likes

That’s very nice of you, Sir Craig. Can you recommend a good bike mechanics manual?

1 Like

The Park Tools blue book is sort of a Bible.

And totally concur w @Craig.Quarmby. You can learn any of this stuff and rarely need an LBS for most repairs and maintenance (I won’t true my own wheels or rims anymore, for example).

And rather than making a big tool outlay, just pick them up as you need them. And buying used tools is pretty safe.

Highly recommend a good track stand!

1 Like

Can’t recommend a book as, while I’ve looked at some, I’ve learnt what I know as I’ve needed to and don’t have a book. Just lots of saved website pages in my Evernote. For me the slow progression learning on an “as needed” basis has worked well and whenever there is something that I can’t get right (or get my head around) I pop into my favourite LBS and ask for advice - sometimes that is watching them while they work on my bike for a paid job, other times it’s just popping in and asking a question. So many people know very little about what to do with their bikes that I think most bike mechanics find it refreshing and are only too happy to impart knowledge when someone is interested. Park Tools videos are a great resource so I’m not surprised @CPT_A mentions their blue book.

Agree fully with @CPT_A as regards building up your tool collection, having a good stand and not being afraid to buy good used tools. Other than a good stand I’d highly recommend a good, new torque wrench kit (I’d worry about calibration with used kits) - it will probably be the toolset you use far more than any other and will have paid for itself before you know it.

1 Like

This is always a good idea, and good to cultivate your favorite LBS.

Yeah was going to add to my post that Park Tools has videos available for just about everything in their book. I have the book because I’ve always had it, but if you want visuals, or to follow someone else along for step-by-step, they are a great resource.

I will admit I don’t have a torque wrench set and really should! :grimacing:

Honestly the only other recommend I would add is a good cleaning kit. I have a bucket full of supplies and eco-friendly cleaners/degreasers/lubes. THAT is what I likely use the most aside from my track stand.

2 Likes

It depends what range you want but I’m very happy with my Park Tool Adjustable ATD-1.2. It covers 4Nm to 6Nm in 0.5Nm steps. It’s a “cam over” design so you really know when you’ve reached the setting and it’s not possible to accidentally over tighten.

I also have an Icetoolz Ocarina which I use for higher settings. I have no complaints about it but it’s nothing special and I doubt it’s particularly accurate

1 Like

Oooh, now I am wondering if my Rival1 drive train can take a cassette that size…:thinking:

It can indeed!

Standard Shimano/ SRAM 11 speed Hub - 11-46 or 11-50.
SRAM XD/XDR hub - 10-46 or 10-50

All you need is the cassette and longer cage kit from https://www.garbaruk.com/product-kits.html. Took about 4 weeks for mine to arrive. If you’re comfortable changing cassettes it’s really easy to change the cage with good instructions/ videos on that website. Watch the direction of the pulley wheels when putting back together. Oh, and you’ll need a longer chain.

The difference from my 11-42 to 10-42 to 10-50 (40 up front) is dramatic on those super steep gravel climbs and with the 10 you don’t spin out as quick. When my 40T wears out I’ll put on a 42 which I think will be the ideal gearing for me.

2 Likes

Fantastic thanks!!! Happy to do all that mechanical work myaelf, just a case of getting the parts

1 Like

Oh Yes! A good cleaning kit is essential and I keep my bikes immaculate. Last longer, give less problems, look better … and obviously go faster!

Although my most used kit would be my cheap slow cooker and chain quick link remover/ connector - Been waxing my chains for a few years now.

OK, way off topic now Sir Alex. Sorry - back in my box!

1 Like