Multi day event plan

I echo @DameLisa : the GG200 plan is good for multi-day events. I did one to prep for a 10-day, 1200-mile ride, with daily elevation gains of between 1000-6000 feet. The plan indeed has back-to-back long ride days, up to 5 hours each. After I finished the plan, I had six training weeks in which I focused on endurance rides more days in a row as my schedule permitted. The GG200 plan, plus strength and yoga, was sufficient to prepare me for several long days in a row.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I meant. I see the same as you, but your earlier post appeared to imply that you were getting 5 hour sessions on two consecutive days!

Actually looking at your calendar screenshot, you appear to have 2 plans overlaid i.e. 200 Mile Gravel + Mountain Fondo. So that would load up your schedule massively!

1 Like

The GG 200 plan does have 5 hour rides on consecutive days.

I just donā€™t see it. Iā€™ve previewed the plan in pretty much every variation and canā€™t see any consecutive days with 5 hour rides. The highest I can see is 5 hr endurance followed by 3:15 sprints the next day. So what am I missing? Maybe the plan has changed?

I did but ignore the one
I just loaded up the other to try find you an example weekend.

Maybe youā€™re simply a different rider type from me. I also have a massive Sustain weakness, so probably pushes duration for me. I loaded that plan originally off the old Suf app which would have accounted for rider type and weakness (I think).

And yes, I think the plan has maybe changed too. When I originally loaded it it was different to what Iā€™m seeing now. Have done updated testing since then too.

Nothing stopping you from pushing the durations yourself though. Just make sure your recovery is amazing.

I do sometimes push the durations for my own needs. But I was just curious about the different plans and if I was missing something. Having looked closely at the current plans, I donā€™t think youā€™ll find one with consecutive 5 hour days any more. My weakness is Sustained too BTW.

My apologies! When I did the plan last spring, consecutive long rides happened every weekend. I didnā€™t think about the plans having changed. I wonder what the thinking behind that might be.

No need for apologies! The plans obviously got changed along the way and it would indeed be interesting to know why. Maybe consecutive 5 hour rides are a bit much for most peopleā€™s life schedule! Looks like theyā€™ve been replaced with one 5 hour endurance ride and a shorter, but more intense interval workout. That kind of makes sense and adds a bit of variety.

2 Likes

My view is they change plans to get the best outcome for the event for the majority of people. If back to back days of 5hr rides was the best way to go when training for a 200mi gravel event then it would still be in the high volume plan.

I know this plan has been changed a few times. I tried it early last year and not only did it have two long rides on the weekends of 4:30 to 5:30 hours, the rides during the week were brutal and one of the weekend rides was also often a tempo session.

Weeks regularly had four sufferfest sessions scheduled plus long rides plus easy rides plus strength and cadence drills. I didnā€™t make it to the end and I was approaching overtrained.

Back on the original topic, Iā€™d be keen to see not only plans for multi-day events but also a season builder.

Since that doesnā€™t exist in SYSTM, if I was going to choose a plan for a multi-stage event I would pick one that matched the typical stage. For instance five days of mountainous routes is probably quite different to five days of rolling hills. The new plans have moved away from only the long events having high volume options.

Do you need to add even more volume than the high-volume plan if doing a multi-day event vs a single day? I donā€™t know and personally, if I was planning to take on something like this right now and wanted to perform well rather than just finish I would at least talk to a coach.

2 Likes

I think the GG 200 may have been altered most recently to mirror Ian Boswellā€™s training for Unbound. I thought I had read that somewhere but could be just totally making shit up.

Edit: after saying that, I checked and IBā€™s GG200 still in the SUF plans actually has back to back 5hr days on the weekends in weeks 6 and 10. This is not the GG200 from SYSTM I take it.

3 Likes

Aaah thatā€™ll explain it. I did the IB 200GG plan originally!!!

2 Likes

It sounds like the older IB GG200 plan might be pretty good training for a multi-stage event. Those back-to-back 5 hour sessions would be a good test of your ability to recover overnight. The SYSTM version is different for sure.

I had ridden Suff. workouts many days in a row so I assumed a multi day event would be very similar. I had no trouble during the ride using the general cycling plan. The big difference was I needed to pay much more attention to feeding and recovery.

Do you have a timeline as to when a multiday plan might be up and running. I have used the 200mile GG to good effect and loved the prep that consecutive days of 5hrs rides gave albeit each had a different focus. I have added the 200m gg plan and checking out the outdoor rides was very disappointed to see them shortened in duration compared to the previous plan. as a result I will be upping volumes of outdoor rides to be similar to the old plan which worked for me

The 200GG plan is different to the Ian Boswell 200 plan which is what I suspect you did before. I reloaded it thankfully so am halfway through now. Iā€™ve noted all the workouts so I can do it again in the future. Has worked really well for me also.

2 Likes

Hi folks,

Bumping this one up. Checking in to see if multi day event training plans are being planned?

Cheers

3 Likes

Really interested in a plan for a multiday ( a weekl) montainous event. IS the 200GGplan the best on the platform for this? How do you filter the plans to find this one?

3 Likes

To find GG200, choose cycling ā†’ event prep ā†’ dirt/gravel ā†’ gravel.

I have used that plan for the past two years to prep for multi-day events. I tweaked it by riding longer on the long days and inserting each month a week of back-to-back rides, making the plan 15 weeks long instead of 12. Thereā€™s no knowledge or wisdom behind that, just ignorant me stumbling toward a solution. I also would love to see a multi-day event prep plan.

5 Likes