Official Tour of Sufferlandria Announcement

I believe that Jan 12th the link for TOS2021 will go live.

1 Like

I’ve just signed up to a pre tour plan for the first time, and am trying to get the hang of this forum. Normally don’t like forums but if this where the tour is taking place then I am IN!!

Good luck fellow tourists! Oops I mean - suffer, suffer, suffer!!

:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Thank you! Just installed. Let’s see how it goes now

2 Likes

That’s sorted the cold weather training focus :crazy_face:

As a UK cyclist looking to fundraise as further motivation, will fundraising for Spotlight YOPD in the UK count towards your goal? I’m more likely to get sponsorship if its local.

2 Likes

I need this to pick me up!

1 Like

Welcome to the TOS Nick. We do this tour to raise money for Parkinsons via the David Phinney Foundation, not sure how your local chapter would connect to this group. You can reach out to Lauren Kehn lkehn@dpf.org who spearheads the fund raising. Best of luck and see you in the village on the 14th.

1 Like

Thanks Gerry, will do

Hi All,

Only joined in September and looking to do the Tour this year for the first time. Was just looking to see how I can register and get more information.

Will keep an eye out for the announcement on the 12th.

Am really looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All of this will be open on the 12th with the announcement … this is usually how it flows each year. See you in the village 2/14.

1 Like

Both versions have Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced options, which corresponds to the amount of training time per week the plan entails (not your experience as a cyclist).

If this is the case, why not just rename them to what they actually represent… i.e. volume? Change each of the three to low volume, mid volume, and high volume and in the plan description you should put down how many hours and TSS per week are estimated per volume setting.

8 Likes

Developed appendicitis yesterday. Having keyhole appendicectomy today. Looks like ToS is off for me, unless can recover in time. Anyone have experience of recovery time for this operation?

1 Like

Sorry to hear this. Hope all goes well with the operation and you’re soon back on the bike. As to recovery time, it’s just over 40 years since I had my appendix removed (non-keyhole) so I really can’t remember! ToS at a lower intensity than you were planning is maybe still a possibility? If not how about doing the stages a week or two after the scheduled tour - it’s still the same personal achievement and as far as I can see the only difference is that you won’t have the badge in the app.

1 Like

I didn’t have the keyhole surgery, I’ve got the full 8” hand-hole scar, and that took me a good 6-8 weeks but that was mostly for the stomach muscles to heal. That was 5 years ago and I want to say if they had done it the other way it would have been like 2-4 weeks.

1 Like

Cheers guys. That’s useful info. Champing at the bit to be back on the bike, but have to be disciplined

1 Like

Brand new citizen of Sufferlandria (and indoor training at all) here, looking forward to joining the tour. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hey - that’s a pest, but appendicitis caught and treated is a lot better than the alternative right enough. Hope it all goes well.

In that general area, super care is needed. Like almost all surgeries I guess. I’m no doc or anything but I’ve had keyhole for other less serious stuff and one of the things I was warned about was internal ‘pressure’.
There might be no obvious issue externally as it’s one or two small cuts, its the cuts they make go through muscle wall and internal tissue - great fir a faster recovery for ‘normal life’ but that hidden stuff needs protected from athletes.

Those muscles will (I assume they’re stitched internally but I’ve never asked) heal back but please don’t start building up internal pressure through heart rate/blood pressure/and all the stuff that happens when we exercise aerobicallly or the internal stuff won’t heal. Or partially heal.

(And now I’m getting really in to dodgy non doctor ground … I ended up with a hernia as a result of the muscle wall failing years later, which was cut through for keyhole (so super small) … so while none of that was anything more than another 6 weeks off later in life from even lifting shipping bags, exercising and so on… anything you can do to avoid it sounds sensible)
That may all be tosh. Just one persons personal experience and what I ‘heard’ from my consultant.

3 Likes

You’ll feel normal ish after a week or so but you’ve still had abdominal surgery. Best not to push things since you can still get a hernia etc.

Talk to your surgeon. You might be able to do some LIGHT spinning after 1-2 wks. But they’re protective of their handiwork so they’ll tell ya!

Good Luck!

3 Likes

Cheers for info. Will take it easy. Like a true Sufferlandrian, I am relishing the chance to get back into it and build myself back up. We all love a challenge.

3 Likes

Great news! Can’t wait to register!

3 Likes

Ballpark 6 weeks but it will depend on how bad the infection was. Take it easy. I think you may need to skip this year.