Omnium April

You’ve already exceeded mine by about 14.

4 Likes

Finished number 16 today at 100%. I don’t know what’s worse, the kilo or the sprint at the very end. Just drags on forever…

And even worse, I might be running out of appropriate Omnium screenshots. :scream:

11 Likes

I’ve already run out of ways to say holy mother of GvA and such.

6 Likes

So a rest day then?

:smirk:

3 Likes

Lol. Only 1 Omnium almost feels like a rest day, even at 100%. Almost. But not really. :smile:

My legs still know the difference. Especially a soreness a couple hours later.

4 Likes

Omniums 17 and 18 done today. 3 more on tap tomorrow during the morning Knight Ride.

I don’t know why, but this seems harder than when I did Defender or Who Dares and HHNF. If not physically harder, at least mentally.

Anyway, time for my breakfast of nails.

8 Likes

IF I make it tomorrow, you can be sure I will NOT be doing any Omniums (which wanted to autocorrect to onions, which I will also not be having in the morning :sob: )

5 Likes

My feeling is that it appears tougher because of the variation in the efforts. Most of those other workouts are pretty much the same thing over and over again so you can mentally adjust to what comes next much more easily.

None of them have an ending like the Omnium does.

2 Likes

So true. Defender, Who Dares, and HHNF all are very much FTP workouts with 5 stars on FTP. The Omnium is more directed towards AC/MAP efforts and with 3 stars for NM and only 2 on FTP. All those sprint efforts, the Kilo, the Eliminator, and the Points race all have short, sharp repeated efforts. So the style of efforts and the fatigue is definitely different. And even when dropped to 70% those AC efforts are still very prominent. With Defender I could drop it to 70% and knew I was going to get a mostly Z2 effort. With The Omnium those AC efforts - especially all the final sprints and the kilo - are still above (or well above) FTP at 70%.

8 Likes

I absolutely would rate The Omnium as harder than Defender. No question.

5 Likes

My first year of using The Sufferfest when I was on my dumb wheel-on trainer, Defender was not that difficult and I was always well over the target watts. But The Omnium was one of my nemesis workouts along with The Shovel. Which is why I put The Omnium at #9 on my initial KOS attempt, and Defender as #10.

3 Likes

It was panda-onmium this morning! :wink: Three more Omniums (Omnia?) bit the dust during the morning Knight Ride. That’s numbers 19, 20, and 21 (but who’s counting? Obviously me, of course…) Maybe next time I can convince at least one or two of you to ride an Omnium with me. :grin:

Come for the Knight Ride and stay for the potty humor and then drop some watt bombs on the sprints.

5 Likes

Interesting question: technically you’d be correct with omniums…though since omnium already represents the plural for the Latin omnis (“all”), you’d be making a plural of a plural, saying something like “alls”, which makes my head hurt. :thinking:

giphy-3061098986

#alltheLatin

2 Likes

Lorem ipsum dolor etc etc.

2 Likes

If you are speaking English (which we are), then it would be omniums. Just as memorandums, mediums, concertos, datums, symposiums, and most other words borrowed from other languages use English pluralization rules in every day English.

If you want to do it the Latin way, the plural would end with -a or -ums

1 Like

Omnium is already plural :slight_smile:
It means “of all”. All, as subject, is Omnes…
“To all” is omnibus…

I would save the English with two Omnium workoutS :slight_smile:
And Latin didn’t have indoor trainers, we are safe!

6 Likes

Donuts! Omniumnomnomnomnom

5 Likes

True, but the English meaning has been transformed so that it is a singular noun referring to a collection of races. You could say @emacdoug did an Omnium yesterday.

In English you can apply plurals to certain collective nouns. For example, there are many flocks of turkeys, or different audiences have reacted differently to the performance. Hence, omniums would be just fine.

I presume if we had Roman bicycle riders, they would have to deal with issue. Can the minions get into the Sufferlandrian Time Machine so we can find out?

2 Likes

Something to like about this forum: venturing deeply into grammar and Latin!

4 Likes

Glad I didn’t try reading these while riding The Omnium or I would never have understood them. Actually, I don’t know if I understand them right now. It’s all Greek to me. :wink:

4 Likes