Planning my first KoS, need help with selection please

No matter, we can still do that! Kinda fun to think that we’re planning something similar, on opposite sides of the :earth_africa:.

Yes, though I will dial down when I do more back-to-back practice. I guess indoor riding is quite different to the great outdoors - for one, there’s no coasting time, and the recovery intervals are hardly a rest!

I like your list. I think mine will be similar. I have also compiled a spreadsheet like yours - love having all the info in one place!

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of Maurten before, but it looks very interesting. Which specific one were you using, just the bars or drinks as well?

1 Like

June is still some time away, so if I’ll feel ready by then, we can definitely do it on the same day. Your dates are also around my birthday, so that would be an interesting “gift” to myself to try and do the quest :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I live by the Alps, so anything over 20’C is already hot for me :smiley:

3 Likes

:smile:
30 degree Celcius must be a torture for you! Hahaha. But in true Sufferlandrian style.
But nevertheless, you will definitely need to have a fan maybe even two to really cool you down during your Quest :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used the packets of 160 and 320 drink mix. I had a couple of the 100cal/100caf gels, as well. The drink mix has both glucose and fructose, so it allows your body to digest more.

I used mostly the 320 mix. 1 packets per hour. If I felt I needed more sodium then I used 2 packets of 160 instead. 320 has 500mg sodium. 160 has 400mg.

I started the first hour with 2 packets of 160 but it felt too heavy in my stomach so I switched to mostly 320 which felt better. Then added peanut butter m&m’s and a few other snacks and water as I felt like adding them. I had one of the Maurten 100cal/100caf gels around the beginning of the day and saved the second one until I was close to #10.

You can see my write-up for it here in 3 parts:

2 Likes

I did my quest in Nov when the weather here is much cooler. Summer here averages over 40C in July and August. But we have a/c running 24/7 so probably wouldn’t make much of a difference. Lol.

1 Like

Excellent info, thank you.

Maurten seems too expensive for regular rides, but it definitely seems to be worth it for special occasions like KoS attempt. I still have some time before my attempt, so I can get my body used to it and see if I can handle it (I’ve only used iso drinks in the past and the occasional granola bar).

1 Like

Good idea. I relied mostly on Gatorade and gels before the second half of 2022. They do work. But if you’re going to try something new best to try it out like you said. I used them for my long weekend rides and maybe 1 or 2 rides per week. Usually my 2 hour Zone 2 rides. That makes a pack of 18 sachets last at least a month.

2 Likes

A KoS is on my bucket list and there is great information in this thread on how to train and plan for it. It seems that no one not named Tadej Pogacar would do each workout at 100% and it looks like most riders try to ride at a goal percentage. Has anyone used IF as a goal? I’ve done some long endurance workouts this way, adjusting the workout percentage settings to achieve an overall IF of 70% for 4-5 rides lasting 3-5 hours instead of 62% as called for in the plan. So Nine Hammers is 78%, AVDP is 81%, etc. For a KoS plan, I would probably use a lower IF goal. Does this sound reasonable?

1 Like

I can’t speak for anyone but myself. I usually ignore the IF. But, if you did go that way, I wonder how much IF changes when you lower the intensity? Or does it remain the same? Especially if you don’t modify the recovery sections, or if you only lower FTP and MAP, etc.

If it makes you feel any better, the first time I rode ISLTA I hated it and couldn’t believe I was dumb enough to start it, let along finish it.

Second time, I couldn’t get over how much fun it was.

Maybe you’ll have the same experience? :wink:

3 Likes

There are various ways to do it; the simplest is to set an IF target and adjust the overall workout percentage, which also changes the recovery sections. If I leave the recovery intervals unchanged, it would probably raise the IF by 1-2%. My underlying question is, “What constitutes a respectable effort,” and it seems like using overall IF as a gauge rather than percentage makes sense in trying to answer that question. 75% of Nine Hammers produces a higher IF than 75% of The Way Out.