Suffering outside (Videos)

Hi Everyone, here is a video of a group ride I did towards the end of the season on a nice warm sunny September day. It is one of my favourite rides to Lake Simcoe, Ontario, Canada. The coffee shop in town has a great view of a pond out back that we enjoy while we sit and drink our coffee. Fun video to watch while doing a NOVID work out.

2 Likes

Hey fellow athletes,
I hope you are all doing well. Covid-19 is still going on and things are getting quite tense again even here in Japan.
Anyway…
This ride is up and down the Arakawa at the morning of Xmas eve. Compared to the preceding days it was relatively warm (3-6.5 deg Celsius) and the sky was blue. Very much enjoyed the crisp morning air finishing off with a visit at the bakery where I bought some nice bread for breakfast at home. Should be a nice clip for your long indoor rides.

I hope you enjoy the video. If so, please leave a comment and subscribe to my channel.

See you next time.
Stay safe, get on your bike and be AWESOME !!!

PLEASE LIKE, SHARE & SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL.

#MyPrefrontalRides #Roadbike #荒川

Hi everybody,

I’m sharing a very mind refreshing cycling ride from last autumn, when the sun was still shining despite chilly temperatures.
It was a ride in the Swiss pre-Alps, featuring climbs with >10% gradients. :mountain: :switzerland:

Enjoy and feel free to share if you like it! :smiley:

4 Likes

Hey fellow athletes,
the first sunrise at January 1 is called hatsuhinode (初日の出). According to legend, Toshigamisama, the deity of the New Year, appears during the first sunrise of the year. The Japanese watch the first sunrise to welcome the new year ahead. And while observing the first sunrise, they pray for good fortune, health and happiness. Some make New Year’s resolutions and set goals for improvements. So I got up early in the morning and head off to the coast believing I would spend some lonely and quiet moments enjoying the rising. However, I wasn’t aware how serious the Japanese take the tradition of hatsuhinode. So I was quite surprised when I was confronted with hundreds of people blocking the cycling path towards my destination. Once arrived and my chosen location I shared the moment with many people. Fortunately the Japanese are usually not very loud so it was still very enjoyable despite the amount of people.

Please let me know what you think about the video. See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.
Get on your bike and be AWESOME !!!

1 Like

:crossed_flags:Rapha #Festive500:crossed_flags: [2020] :bicyclist::skin-tone-2::sunny::bicyclist::skin-tone-2::sunny::bicyclist::skin-tone-2: ラファ #FESTIVE500

Hey fellow athletes, with this ride I covered a big chunk of the Rapha #Festive500, 2020. This time I took it easy and split the effort to a few rides and not only 2-3. Was much more enjoyable this way. And compared to previous years the weather was also much better. Relatively warm and dry. How did you spent the last week of 2020? Please let me know what you think about the video. See you next time. Stay safe, stay strong. Get on your bike and be AWESOME !!!

1 Like

なぜ自転車通勤を薦めるのか? :biking_woman:t2: :dash: :red_car: :motor_scooter: :articulated_lorry: Why do I commute by bike in Tokyo? :crossed_flags::crossed_flags::crossed_flags:

Hi fellow athletes!
There are many reasons why you should commute by bike.

Obviously there are health benefits (yes, even in the city with it’s air pollution and risk of accidents)
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/50225747_Cycling_Health_Benefits_and_Risks

Moreover, you simply will feel much better starting your work with some exercise in your legs.
And on top of that you can also safe a lot of money.

But wait, there is more…
…in most cases, particularly if you commute in the city, you will be faster than by commuting by car or even by train !!!

You’re skeptical? Well, that’s good.
Let me convince you…:clapper:

I hope you enjoy the video.
See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE MAKE A DONATION TO THE DAVIS PHINNEY FOUNDATION
TAKE ACTION TO LIVE WELL TODAY

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE
#MyPrefrontalRides #自転車通勤 #ToS2021

2 Likes

FINALLY !!!

The tour has started (sorry for the late upload).
The first stage is Joyride & Cobbler. Both tough and fun at the same time.
Great tunes. Fun story. Really amazing.
You won’t hear anything but my suffering though. Sorry for that.

As every year I collect donations for the DAVIS PHINNEY FOUNDATION
Please follow the link and make a small donation. That would be so awesome.
It really makes a difference!

My Blueberry-Pistachios Energy Balls
which I enjoy here:
01:11:45 - Blueberry-Pistachios Energy Balls

1 medium ripe banana
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1-1/2 cups quick oats
1/3 cup dried blueberries
chopped nuts

I hope you enjoy the video, meaning watching me suffering…

Please subscribe to my channel.
See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE
#MyPrefrontalRides #DavisPhinneyFoundation #ToS2021

1 Like

:boxing_glove::boxing_glove::boxing_glove: Tour of Sufferlandria :facepunch: ToS2021 :facepunch: Stage 3 :facepunch: FIGHTCLUB :boxing_glove::boxing_glove::boxing_glove:

The third stage is Fightclub. Eye watering…!!!
Haven’t felt sick so many times during a workout before.
Of course I went Nuclear!!! Not sure how I can do this again tomorrow.
But with your support I might be able to get through it. Your donations to the DAVIS PHINNEY FOUNDATION would be a great motivation.

Please follow the link and make a small contribution. That would be so awesome.

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

:goat::wine_glass::goat::wine_glass::goat: Tour of Sufferlandria :biking_man::biking_man::biking_man:ToS2021 - Stage 4 - :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass: HALF IS EASY + G.O.A.T. :goat::goat::goat:

The fourth stage is HALF IS EASY + G.O.A.T.
I wasn’t very motivated and really tired. But against all expectations I rocked it NUCLEAR !!!..!!!
G.O.A.T. was almost a recovery ride after HALF IS EASY which by the way was a Xert breakthrough effort.
Not sure how to manage stage 5 tomorrow.
Well, we’ll see.

But with your support I’ll be fine. Your donations to the DAVIS PHINNEY FOUNDATION would be a great motivation.

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

1 Like

:fish::fish::fish: Tour of Sufferlandria :snowflake::skier::snowflake: ToS2021 :snowflake::skier::snowflake: Stage 5 :snowflake::skier::snowflake: NORWAY :fish::fish::fish:

The fifth stage is NORWAY.
A new workout which haven’t done before.
Very impressive! If you do it on a dumb trainer, as I did, you won’t have time to ‘enjoy’ the video.
You really need to focus on your power target otherwise you can just forget the whole workout.
Power targets are changing so quickly you need extreme focus to stick to them.

The last few nights and particular the night before the 5th stage my sleep was really bad. So I wasn’t sure if I will manage. But I did and I went NUCLEAR !!!..!!!
Almost proud of myself. Afterwards I also got a really good night’s sleep (even though it was not long enough).
Anyway, I feel refreshed and am looking forward to the 6th stage.
Now confident that I will complete the whole tour NUCLEAR !!!

Please support our cause. Your donations to the DAVIS PHINNEY FOUNDATION would be a great motivation and will help a lot.

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

:crossed_swords::shield::crossed_swords:Tour of Sufferlandria :shield::crossed_swords::shield: ToS2021 :shield::crossed_swords::shield: Stage 7 :shield::crossed_swords::shield:DEFENDER & ATTACKER :crossed_swords::shield::crossed_swords:

The seventh stage is DEFENDER + ATTACKER

Again, I went for NUCLEAR.
I almost wanted to give up during DEFENDER. It was really hard.
And although ATTACKER was the second workout it felt much easier.

Now, that I finished the Tour, it’s on you to donate.
That would be a glorious finish.

Please support our cause. Your donations to the DAVIS PHINNEY FOUNDATION would be a great motivation and will help a lot.

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

:man_biking::trophy::man_biking::trophy::man_biking: Post Tour of Sufferlandria 4DP Full Frontal :boxing_glove::boxing_glove::boxing_glove: Fitness Test - 2021 :man_biking::man_biking::man_biking:

The Tour is done.
It is now time to re-evaluate my current fitness.
Did I make some gains? Did I lose fitness?
Let’s see…

My
Peak power (NM) went up by +72w :boxing_glove::boxing_glove:
1 minute power (AC) went up by +33w :boxing_glove::boxing_glove:
5 minute power (MAP) by +8w :boxing_glove:
and finally, my FTP increased by +19w :boxing_glove::boxing_glove::boxing_glove:

I also go a new All-Time best 5 min power
and new All-Time best 20 min power.

I never felt so good and strong during a Full-Frontal 4DP.
I knew during each single effort that I will improve my signature.
Since all 4 metrics clearly increased, the suffering was really worth it during the Tour and the preparations for it.
Even if the outcome wouldn’t have been so good I would have been satisfied because I was feeling great and knew I gave everything. There was no holding back.

Off to the next challenge. Whatever it may be…

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE

1 Like

Finally, BRONZE !!!

I improved my time by 6 minutes compared to my last effort 2yrs ago where I missed it by…300ms!!!
seriously??? Well, it’s the past and I knew from this time on I can do it.

Today’s improvement is not exactly what I was hoping for. But it came pretty damn close.
Now I know that there is easy room for improvement.
If I manage to shave off another 9min I can get the silver medal in 1 or 2 yrs.

Hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed the climb (I really did enjoy it !!!)

3 Likes

【360°VR】東京のさくらサイクリング - Tokyo Sakura cycling
It seems to be a long time ago already. Buy it’s only a couple of months.
The cherry blossom season.
I really enjoyed my commutes and my short visit to the Meguro river which is the number one hot spot for the Sakura viewing. Usually it is massively crowded. But due to Covid-19 it was way more accessible.
I hope you enjoy this short 360degree trip through Tokyo and it’s suburbs.
Let me know what you think int the comments section below and please like and subscribe.

This was an absolutely brutal climb.
I accidentally took the wrong turn and ended up on a small alternative road to the top of the mountain.
As brutal as it was, with sections over +15% gradient which almost brought me to a stop, it was also very beautiful. I was the only rider up there and the view was stunning.
I can only recommend this climb.

Segment Stats
Type:
Ride
Climb category:
2nd
Distance:
6.3 km
VVOM:
Average gradient:
10.0%
Maximum gradient:
14.6%
Elevation gain:
630 m
Elevation change:
629 m

The climb was part of my Mt. Fuji Hill Climb Challenge preparations.

Let me know in the comments section what you think and give it thumbs up.
If not, please let me know as well and why.

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE
#MyPrefrontalRides #奥多摩周遊道路 #roadbike

1 Like

Not outdoors and not using Sufferfest but perhaps still valuable information for some of you.

:microscope::male-scientist: Estimation of Aerobic threshold (AeT) using DFA-alpha1 while monitoring Core body temperature.
Purpose of this workout is to establish your current aerobic threshold using DFA-alpha1 (0.75, HRVT) while also monitoring your core body temperature. Feeding the data into Runnalyze or using Excel you can then estimate your heart rate and power at which you cross the threshold. Knowing these values and staying well below them helps you to keep your easy workouts really easy as they should be. The slightly extended length of the ramp also allows you to find your anaerobic threshold which you should exceed for your hard workouts (0.5, HRVT2). see this article published by Bruce Rogers et al.

I used ‘LetsView’ to project my android screen onto my laptop and recorded my Wahoos’ screen which I mainly used for Core body temperature monitoring and later added to the video. I used Zoom screen recording to record the whole thing. The FatmaXXer app for android helps you to monitor your DFA-alpha1 in real time. You can either use Garmins fit file to visualize data in Runnalyze or download your FatmaXXer data and do it in Excel. In order to record reliable data you need either a Polar H10 (or similar) or a Garmin dual.

Used apps and software:
Xert EBC player for Android
Core
LetsView (for mobile phone screen sharing)
Runnalyze
Zoom (for screen recording)

Used gear:
Wahoo KickrBike
Garmin Edge 1030 Plus
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt 2
Wahoo KickrBike
Wahoo Headwind
Polar H10
Core Bodytemp sensor

Xert workout: HRVT (almost) meets Ronnestad 90 (MIXED Mode)
#PrefrontalRides #FatmaXXer #CoreBodyTemp

1 Like

:microscope::man_scientist: Guide to estimate Aerobic (AeT/HRVT1) and anaerobic (AnT/HRVT2) threshold using DFA-alpha1.

This is a step by step guide showing how to export and analyze the data produced during an extended ramp from FatMaxxer to your analyzing software of choice in order to estimate heart rate and power at which you cross your AeT (HRVT1, DFA-alpha1 = 0.75) and AnT (HRVT2, DFA-alpha1 = 0.5).

Knowing these values will help you a great deal to plan the intensity of your workouts.

Please notice that I started the FatMaxxer way too early and thus had to reject the first part of the data in Google sheets/Excel.
If you want to check your data with Runalyze you have to make sure to start and stop your Garmin with the beginning and end of the ramp, respectively.

I was pretty fatigued that day and probably that’s why my HRVT1 was rather low and therefore matched my Xert’s LTP. Also, alpha1 was fluctuating a lot the first few minutes (due to fatigue?). More stuff to discover!

I used ‘LetsView’ to project my android screen onto my laptop in my last video but switched to ‘TeachViewer Host’ which is fast more superior.
The former one crashes several times during the ramp while the latter did not crash a single time.
Furthermore, I recorded my Wahoos’ screen which I mainly used for Core body temperature monitoring and later added to the video.
I used Zoom screen recording to record the whole thing.
The FatmaXXer app for android helps you to monitor your DFA-alpha1 in real time and helps with your decision to stop the ramp when it’s time. In order to record reliable data you need either a Polar H10 (or similar) or a Garmin dual.

Xert workout:
HRVT meets sprint workout (MIXED Mode)

#MyPrefrontalRides #FatmaXXer #Runalyze

1 Like

:microscope::male-scientist::thermometer::hot_face: Guide to estimate your Heat Training Zone using a Heat Ramp Test.

Important !!!
Please check the safety guidelines oncorebodytemp
Room and clothing:
This test should be conducted on an indoor trainer in a ‘heated environment’. When the Heat Ramp Test is conducted in an unheated environment, overdressing is important. You can wear your winter jersey/bins which helps contain the heat. Avoid using waterproof attire that completely traps sweat.
Fans should not be used and draughts or airflow should be stopped as these will provide cooling.
I was pretty heavy dressed. Full winter gear in Tokyo’s summer. Closed doors/windows and no circulator. Still, I had to extend the ramp to 92% FTP for another 6min in order to reach 80ºC.
Write down the power Power Output 1) and calculate target power at which the test stops.
After the initial ramp-up (50-80% of FTP) the actual test starts (given your core temperature reached 80ºC). 00:20:11
Now, focus on maintaining the heart rate you’ve reached at this point and keep it constant. You will need to gradually reduce your power output in order to maintain this heart rate. Using the Xert EBC app makes this much more easier. 00:20:22
This test can be very demanding. Easy calculations might become challenging.
So I recommend to prepare everything you need in advance (e.g. I used Google notes with the instructions and dedicated fields to note power and temperature data. also, calculator app was already open).
Once you reached 80% power output you have to note the temperature Core Body Temperature 1). 00:32:20
Now stop pedalling and wait until you reach maximum temperature without any attempts to cool down. Just sit and wait…
00:43:31 - maximum temperature is reached.
my results:
Heart Rate 1 ___ 157 bpm ___
Power Output 1 ___ 250w ___
Core Body Temperature 1 ___ 38.32ºC ___
Core Body Temperature 2 ___ 38.54ºC ___
Heat Training Zone: Core Body Temperature 1 minus 0.5ºC to minus 0.3ºC
= 37.82 to 38.02 :fire::fire::fire:
Next steps will be to design a heat training block and think about workouts to use afterwards for maintaining the effects gained during the heat training.
Have fun replicating the test and let me know how it was going.
Don’t forget to like and subscribe !!!
I used ‘TeamViewer Host’ to project my android screen onto my laptop.
Furthermore, I recorded my Wahoos’ screen which I mainly used for Core body temperature monitoring and later added to the video.
I used Zoom screen recording to record the whole thing.
The FatmaXXer app for android helps you to monitor your DFA-alpha1 in real time and helps with your decision to stop the ramp when it’s time. In order to record reliable data you need either a Polar H10 (or similar) or a Garmin dual.
Used apps and software:
Xert EBC player for A
Core
TeamViewer host for Android
Zoom (for screen recording)
Used gear:
Wahoo KickrBike
Garmin Edge 1030 Plus
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt 2
Wahoo KickrBike
Polar H10
Core Bodytemp sensor
Xert workout:
Heat Ramp Test
#MyPrefrontalRides #FatmaXXer #CoreBodyTemp

:mountain_snow: :biking_man: 奥多摩周遊道路 Climb​:goat: - Okutama Shuyu Road Climb #2 :goat:

Here we go gain.
This was an absolutely brutal climb.
Last time I accidentally took the wrong turn and ended up on a small alternative road to the top of the mountain.
This time I road the climb with the intention to see if it got any easier or not (but mainly to take some nice pictures which I didn’t last time).

Again, I was the only human being up there. Last time there was a granny doing some gardening and two couples hiking/walking their dog. This is rather unique in Japan. Usually there is always someone! And this is only 1.5-2h away from central Tokyo (by bike!!!).
I can only recommend this climb.
But it’s tough. I really don’t know how I managed this one again. There are episodes where I nearly come to a still stand. But have a look for yourself.

Let me know in the comments section what you think and give it thumbs up.

If not, please let me know as well and why.

See you next time.
Stay safe, stay strong.

PLEASE LIKE & SHARE
#MyPrefrontalRides #奥多摩周遊道路 #roadbike

2 Likes

@Sir_Roland Great effort - congrats. It looked like you were just standing on the pedals in a few spots - clearly very steep.

1 Like