Sufferlandria/Wahooligan age demographics?

Actually you guys are right and I would love to see how SYSTM will eventually evolve into a platform which has a different kind of training plan for different age groups, since at any given age group, the individual’s may or may not be able to keep a certain intensity level since that’s also very much dependent on the health condition of that individual.

Fingers crossed for that such a feature in the not too distant future.

1 Like

You young whipper`snapper! You should cancel your subscription…yer too dam young!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hahaha they say, once you arrive, you can never leave :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But I don’t think I am the youngest hanging about here :wink:

2 Likes

Of course there is always the story in the film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

So, I happened to be looking at the various performance metrics automagically calculated by my Garmin Edge. I haven’t ever paid them much attention, but after a ride today I saw it said my “Fitness Age” is 45. I’m not sure how to interpret or use that, but maybe I’m not as much in need of geriatrically adjusted workouts as I thought. :grin:

The Garmin metrics are based on the FirstBeat algorithms. Based on what I have read and heard (on podcasts) I would not place too much confidence in them.

How you been using the Garmin for a long time, and do you consistently put data into it?

As for me, my Garmin says my fitness age is of a 20 year old. Like you I don’t know quite know what that actually means but I guess it’s an indication that I am much fitter than my age suggests?

I have been using Garmin to track my rides since 2014 and other activities like step count and sleep since 2016.

Yeah. I’ve recorded all my outdoor rides on Garmin Edge devices starting with a 705 in ~2010 but, except for a few over the years, haven’t used them for indoor training rides. Though I am familiar with Firstbeat, and Garmin does have some descriptions on their website (e.g. Fitness Age | Health Science | Garmin Technology | Garmin) I haven’t paid much attention to them, hence the emoji grin at the end of my post.

I find the Garmin fitness data distracting and confusing. On one page, it might tell me my workout intensity is Ideal and on another, that it is Unproductive. Not sure how that can possibly be right or actionable.

Same here! I was curious as to why Garmin is telling me my workout isn’t productive when I felt it was. Other times, when I feel the workout isn’t productive, Garmin tells me otherwise.

From the Garmin website:

Unproductive: your training load is at a good level, but your fitness is decreasing. Your body may be struggling to recover, so you should pay attention to your overall health including stress, nutrition, and rest.

The status of unproductive is not about the workout, but your general training level.

But… okay… I have to admit that’s true for the ‘training level’ on Saturday, it’s was unproductive.

I can see it now:

" WahooX Geriatrically -Adjusted™ workouts and plans. Optimized for the advancing decrepitude of the aging athlete. "

Sign me up!

Let’s not get started on Garmin, as that’s a whole 'nother can of worms. I only brought it as a point of amusement (my Fitness Age of 45).

2 Likes

One thing to think about, is how many break out workouts can you do in a week or two without getting overly fatigued? For me, this is a telling metric.

I have a Fenix 5 which I do like. In my Garmin Connect I don’t have a ‘Fitness Age’. I only know that today because of this conversation, I decided to look for it. Where it is supposed to be per Garmin, it’s not. Never had it, never knew it existed and likely wouldn’t look at it if it was there. Just another made up number that wouldn’t add anything to my training or my life.

2 Likes

I find it on the Connect android phone app: hamburger, performance stats, VO2 Max. There are some metrics also accessible directly on Edge devices. IDK about Garmin watches. But like I said, that’s a whole 'nother can of worms unrelated to Wahoo age demographics and creating plans adjusted for advanced age.

And it is heavily influenced by the random error in their estimate of fitness level (by which they appear to mean their estimate of VO2 max).

1 Like

Same here, 42, but Garmin backs my 37. :joy:

2 Likes

Plans don’t/shouldn’t change based on age. Selection might. Days etc but metrics are metrics, FTP et al presumably lower (mine) but model stays good. 81 and trying to ride my 71 yr. Hope springs etc. Just go for it like always.

3 Likes

I’m all for “going for it like always.” However, your assertion suggests that plans exist for every individual and circumstance, and that they are perfect and immutable as is. Personally, I don’t believe that’s the case, and plans can and should be modified and optimized to the individual and circumstance. That’s what coaches do. SYSTM’s selection of fixed plans have been designed by coaches and tested against some range of rider profiles. With SYSTM’s selection of fixed plans, perhaps some are more suitable for older riders. I would argue that a group of SYSTM plans could be designed specifically for (or adjusted for) older riders and tested against that group. Of course the obvious alternative is to hire a good coach, or perhaps try Trainerroad’s new adaptive training plans.

2 Likes